Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default When Words Collide - Jun 18, 2012

This week, Tim opines on Ulises Farinas's Transformers, the sublime Slime Freak by Carlos Gonzales, a forgotten superhero flashback from the Seventies and Michel Fiffe's tribute to the old masters.

Full article here.

Sad to hear about Farinas... I think he's amazing and I would have loved to see him work on something where he gets to do his thing. He would fit right in with the Prophet gang.

BANNED

Don't let HOD's horrible display at literature and artwork turn you off towards all of IDW's current Transformers On going comic books because you be doing yourselves a great disservice. "Robots In Disguise" and "More Than Meets The Eyes" are by far the best Transformers outlets to date.

Heart of darkness is the work of someone's retarded nephew by comparison.

I think Heart of Darkness is usually cited as the worst Transformers comic ever (and yeah - that goes for both art and writing, and I hardly think you can blame the colourist for all of it. Farinas's Transformers looked just... weird. Detail isn't everything!) but yeah - the current series are not just good Transformers comics, they're some of the best comics I've ever read!

(Also that HoD cover shows Casey Coller's work, not Farinas's.)
    Last edited by Art Monkey; 06-19-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Yeeeah, even Transformers fans hated Heart of Darkness. Farinas did a nice job on the fantasy environments and creatures (crab pirates!) in later issues, but it was plain from even the first couple of pages of issue 1 that he simply couldn't DRAW Transformers. Their proportions and facial expressions are laughable and only worsen as the series went along. Which is not to champion the writing either - by the end of that series, I really had no clue what it was supposed to be doing, and the event that it was leading into essentially ignored the vast majority of the series' specifics until retconning them out as delusion at the last minute.
    Last edited by Chris McFeely; 06-20-2012 at 02:43 AM.