Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Can't wait and I really hope its Hickman who takes over. But whoever it is I'm pretty sure will be more enjoyable than whatis going on now. I really think New Avengers should be cancelled but its a wait and see I guess.
    "Some people look to the past for answers. I look to the future for solutions." --- SJH

I wonder if New Avengers will continue after Bendis leaves. Somehow I doubt it will.

And if it does, I hope Strange steps down. He's never been a good fit for that team
    Last edited by chariset; 06-18-2012 at 08:46 AM.

I want to go there.

Anyway, it strikes me that a Hickman Avengers is going to have more in common, tonally, with the Justice League than the typical Avengers book. One characteristic of his work is that cast members tend to be hyper-capable, and threats tend to be big and sci fi. The Avengers has, typically, been a book more about the interpersonal relationships and dynamics of the members, often to the point that those dynamics have an affect on the functioning of the team.

It'll be interesting to see him bring that flavor to the book, is what I'm saying. Bendis reinvented it in one way, to great success; here is hoping that Hickman's formulation (which is much more in line what I personally want from the book) is similarly successful.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Is my vision correct? People are starting to hate on Hickman now? I thought his Ultimates run was awesome, and I loved Ribic's art for The City.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Thought View Post
    I would love a JL styled team. Don't the X-men have something like that right now?
    Who would be the members?
    Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Black Panther, Vision, Captain Marvel.

I would love a JL styled team. Don't the X-men have something like that right now?
    I don't think he needs any particular set of members to make the book work; he'll just turn whoever he uses into hyper capable members.

That said, I'm going to bet that he'll have Captain America and Tony Stark on the book. He appears to really enjoy Cap and that old school WWII tough guy (see Secret Warriors), and Tony is a futurist, which is really up Hickman's alley. Thor he seems to have really come to enjoy in Ultimates -- who knows if he feels the same way about 616.

I honestly expect anyone else up for grabs; perhaps a computer consciousness like Vision would be appropriate, or the detached alien perspective of The Protector in his wheelhouse.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

Hickman's also apparently a fan of the WCA. Take that as you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    Hickman's also apparently a fan of the WCA. Take that as you will.
    Dream of fantastic cast and story telling, along with years of Al Milgrom art... and then Byrne comes and destroys the Vision?

Depends what you mean by JL team.

Does that mean just big name iconic characters? Or is it more of a power house team?

I personally think the most JL Avengers team was the Marvel Adventures Avengers roster.

Captain America
    Iron Man
    Spider-Man
    Hulk
    Wolverine
    Storm
    Giant Girl

Have to say that along their many years of service, the Avengers had pleanty of line-ups that I'd consider similar to the JLA. Though it didn't last long, you had Stern's initial line-up which was pretty standard in terms of iconic and heavy hitting characters (Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Wasp, She-Hulk, Hawkeye, Captain Marvel). Busiek's massive team at the end of his run and the one Geoff Johns used in his were also comparable to the satelite years, or even the JLI.
    Nowadays, I guess I'd go with: Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Hawkeye, She-Hulk, Captain Marvel, the Vision, and maybe the Scarlet Witch to cover the magic aspect.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Depends what you mean by JL team.

Does that mean just big name iconic characters? Or is it more of a power house team?
    I'm not talking about the big guns in terms of popularity; Bendis gave us that with Spider Man and Wolverine.

I'm talking about the way the overall team functions; JL always seemed like a team, a group, a job composed of all these really exceptional all star players who were professional and worked well side by side but were mostly doing their own thing.

The Avengers always struck as very much a 'greater than the sum of their parts' type thing, in that they were always closer, the team meant more to them then being a team meant to the JLA members, but as a result you had interpersonal relationships that sometimes affected their 'job'.

I kind of see the JLA as the guys who get the job done quickly and efficiently (even if, obviously, that can't be true with the nature of suspense and threat), where as the Avengers work a little harder, put more a little more emotion into it, perhaps get less of a clean win...but nevertheless get the job done.

I think you can choose to go in any direction you want with any lineup, really. Hickman's style seems to be that he makes everyone hypercapable; even when they're badly outgunned you never get the feeling that the problem is that the team (or the heroes) isn't working well, just that they're badly overwhelmed. Same deal with Ellis' work, really.