Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

This belief has a downside. If fictional universes are real, then not only are good fictions like superheroes and fairytales real, but also universes such as Lovecraft's and Clive Barker's.
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
    For a belief to be a religion, it has to have actual relevance to your life. "Faith" isn't just believing in the unprovable, but a kind of trust and loyalty to that belief. Is there a moral dimension to this belief? Can you reach these other worlds through prayer or meditation? Do these other worlds promise some sense of mystical union with the rest of creation, extinguishing of ego, or enlightenment? Does this place obligations on you, like how to spend certain days, or where to go on pilgrimage? It may be a fun belief, but it takes more than that to make a religion.
    What you list there still doesn't cut it 'though.

Why do you think do the Bible or the Torah or the Qur'an or Buddhism all (kind of successfully at that) proclaim to have been around since centuries and centuries and centuries ago?

Answer: because a religion supposes itself not only as being 'a good faith to have', but to being the only possible faith any individual - from any time or place - would come to believe in, should they be allowing themselves enough.

Anyone who would want to conclude that no real or good faith would already be existing by starting up their own one, would be to start either 'a personal faith' or as by gaining followers a 'cult' or 'sect', a 'movement'. Like Waco, Scientology or the Latter Day Saints. Which are not religions, by any accepted theoretical definitions.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Quote Originally Posted by comicstvcomputer View Post
    do you believe in a god
    I have no reason to since there is no evidence at all of Her existence.
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Quote Originally Posted by comicstvcomputer View Post
    First of all I'm not a kid I'm 21, second of all if you don't believe in what I'm saying you really have no reason to be here, Third of all I still haven't heard a reason why my beliefs should be considered any more irrational than anyone else's
    Around her 21 puts you on the kid side, My kids are both older than you
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    This belief has a downside. If fictional universes are real, then not only are good fictions like superheroes and fairytales real, but also universes such as Lovecraft's and Clive Barker's.
    Moreover, why should we assume our universe is any different?

If all the other universes are somehow created/influenced by fiction writers in our universe then presuambly we're also a work of fiction.

Which means some bastard made the Holocaust, the AIDS epidemic and 9-11 happen.

I say we write a work of fiction in which we find him and kick his arse.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

I'm very entertained by all of this.
    Today, I make no demands... no threats! But, one day, I shall voice demands -- and all shall obey them!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    The OP is, of course, free to believe whatever he likes. This particular belief degrades no one and harms no one, silly though it might be. I do wonder why he thought he might find fellow travellers here, though. The internet is full of wackadoos, surely there must be some specific forum or blog out there that caters to this nonsense.
    I never understood this about this particular forum. There's certain poster that have the same views and anyone who doesn't agree with said views gets pissed on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin9977 View Post
    I never understood this about this particular forum. There's certain poster that have the same views and anyone who doesn't agree with said views gets pissed on.
    Most of the time the people getting pissed on are well deserving of it. Some views and opinions deserve to be mocked, ridiculed and belittled. Admittedly the somewhat odd but ultimately harmless views held by the OP do not fall under that particular umbrella and I apologize to him for being a bit of a dick. He has, to his credit, mostly avoided the sort of angry knee jerk defensiveness that I recall the last person to start a thread about this particular concept exhibited and I can respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin9977 View Post
    That's like everywhere ever, man.
    I'm a bumblebee. I'm a bee and I need to get back to the hive.

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    That's like everywhere ever, man.
    This too.

If he thinks that phenomenon is somehow unique to this forum, I have to assume that this is the only forum he's visited ever.

He's a whiny troll. So, probably not.
    I'm a bumblebee. I'm a bee and I need to get back to the hive.

Point. It's always the same small pool of people who whine about the "CBR Community Board Clique" that gangs up on people with different views. Coincidentally (heh) enough, all of these people have been called out at one time or another for saying dumb shit. Not for expressing a well reasoned alternative view, which is welcome and encouraged but depressingly rare, but for saying dumb shit. That they don't think it's dumb shit says a lot. That they then never stop whining about how picked on they are by all the meanies on CBR board says even more.

There's a guy who stops by here on occasion that I don't often agree with or like, but he says this thing all the time that applies pretty well to this situation, "Have some dignity."

Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    Point. It's always the same small pool of people who whine about the "CBR Community Board Clique" that gangs up on people with different views. Coincidentally (heh) enough, all of these people have been called out at one time or another for saying dumb shit. Not for expressing a well reasoned alternative view, which is welcome and encouraged but depressingly rare, but for saying dumb shit. That they don't think it's dumb shit says a lot. That they then never stop whining about how picked on they are by all the meanies on CBR board says even more.

There's a guy who stops by here on occasion that I don't often agree with or like, but he says this thing all the time that applies pretty well to this situation, "Have some dignity."
    What the duck said.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

BANNED

Thanks for making my point. Aside from the x forum and this one, no other forum belittles posters as ostensibly. Usually the more put a stop to it.

And im not talking about a clique. Bullies just have a thing on piling on to insults. That doesnt make a clique.