Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

He's an awesome artist and this is probably the current ideal example of the sort of comic that I'd like to see more of from DC. (Without really getting into it, based on recent concerns I've sort of been debating where to draw the line on buying "Big Two" products but I may go ahead and pick this up to support Murphy and lend my wallet vote for more stuff like this. )

This was as awesome as i expected. I really hope after the TBP it gets an oversized hardcover release because that art, wow.

The preview to me was absolutely pathetic, but when I went to the shop I was possessed to buy this, feelin' I would help a brah out. INCREDIBLE. Is all I can say about this comic. If the rest is a good as issue one, this will be a Vertigo classic that people mention in the same breath as 100 Bullets, Y The Last Man and others.

The first issue was fantastic. It feels like Murphy's American Flagg!.

My favorite book this week. I'm not familiar with Murphy, but I'm a fan of the first issue. Only complain is that I wish it was colored; black and white is kind of blehg. That's not to say the art isn't fantastic because it is. Yet, it's the story that steals the show. The idea behind this mini is great. Cloning Jesus is genius. I can't wait to see how this turns out and then "killing" the twin; what a twisted cliffhanger. The idea of the slimy lawyer corporate stereotype is a tad underwhelming. Even so, this story works on all levels.
    Pot+Kettle - "This post went so full retard that it had to be quoted."

i thought it was really good. i loved that it was in black and white and no ads. the paper made it feel like the indy black and whites that came out in the late 80s.

I am not familiar with Murphy's work, but being a big fan of punk rock and Jesus I had to give it a shot. Just got a copy today and LOVED it. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Dang it, never had Murphy on my radar, but after reading the review I thought to give it a try. Sadly only digital so I am missing the paper, but it was great anyway. I am really looking forward to reading the next installment.
    I really hope that Vertigo won't colour the series for the trade, which I am planning to get, black and white is much better.

I liked Punk Rock Jesus #1. But I did feel that it was a bit lazy in taking easy shots at Religion, Corporate Greed, and Reality TV. It all feels like its been 'done before' and better elsewhere. I hope its got another angle coming along.

Thank goodness for black & white Murphy artwork holding it all together. Gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep_Sleeper View Post
    I really love Murphy's artwork. Unfortunately, I'm a firm believer that monthly comics are an outdated concepts and really needs to be done away with in order to move the industry forward. I will be anticipating the trade of Punk Rock Jesus (which, I hope is in black and white).
    Monthly Print books are becoming a more and more dated concept. Mostly because of how they continue to shrink in page count and be unsatisfying reads for your money. But the SERIAL format is solid gold that I don't see ever dying. Not to mention the art of the serial is fascinating.

That all being said, Punk Rock Jesus really felt like you got good bang for your buck. At 32 Pages with no ads, it tells a really satisfying story instead of feeling short changed. It knows its a Serial. And I think its going to read better as a serial, over a collected edition.

Does anyone know when the next issue comes out? I can't seem to find out a date...

Quote Originally Posted by Deep_Sleeper View Post
    I really love Murphy's artwork. Unfortunately, I'm a firm believer that monthly comics are an outdated concepts and really needs to be done away with in order to move the industry forward. I will be anticipating the trade of Punk Rock Jesus (which, I hope is in black and white).

Good luck to you, SGM!
    There are plenty of graphic novels that never come out in comic format. If you don't enjoy monthlies don't buy them but don't try to say they're hurting the industry. Some people enjoy getting their monthly comics. I see them as being what's special about an industry that refuses to lose it's innocence. You don't have to read them if you don't want to, so why would it bother you that they still can be bought by people who love them?

Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    There are plenty of graphic novels that never come out in comic format. If you don't enjoy monthlies don't buy them but don't try to say they're hurting the industry. Some people enjoy getting their monthly comics. I see them as being what's special about an industry that refuses to lose it's innocence. You don't have to read them if you don't want to, so why would it bother you that they still can be bought by people who love them?
    My problem with serial comics is that it refuses to adapt with the times. $3.99 for about 20 pages that are only available at specialty shops?

Not to mention that people who love them won't be around forever. It is a shrinking market that is not furthering the comic book industry...it is playing into the hands of extinction and people are refusing to do anything about it. $1.50 to $2.00 a pop would be great. Yeah, you need ads...so I am not opposed to getting a bunch of ads in my trades at the begining or end of the book.

Anyways, I'm not really about taking away the monthly comics from anyone. My problem with monthly comics is that it seems to be a good indicator to the publishers as to what is good and what is not and guess what? It is because of monthly comics that a comic like Punk Rock Jesus is getting lost in the shuffle.
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

So I finally got round to reading issue 1 and I can't agree more with all the praise this book is getting. I do find the black and white portrayal of the religion/ science debate as it is presented here overly simple and entirely lacking in nuance - but then I've long believed that there is place for both in this world so my reaction to this kind of partisan thinking on the matter is par for the course for me - but aside for this, everything about the book was simply terrific. Hell, I even love the type of paper that the thing was printed on as it really brings out the best in Murphy's spectacular black and white art. And yes, $3 for 32 story pages of a really great comic book? I just don't know if you could find better value than that!
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I loved this book even with the over the top religion, corp greed, and everything else. Well done, can't wait for #2.

Just finished reading issue #1 and thought it was fantastic. I wasn't sure what exactly I was expecting from this book but it blew my expectations out of the water. Normally I'm not a fan of black and white artwork but I think it works here and I love the feel of the paper. Looking forward to issue #2!
    Pull List: Ghostbusters, Saga, Invincible, Guarding the Globe, Cyber Force, Hellboy in Hell, Punk Rock Jesus and Happy