Thumbs up DC Guest Appearances?

Why do most books nowadays have guest appearances? I remember when Green Arrow would pretty much be a secondary character in Hal Jordan's Green Lantern book. In fact, there were a lot of big characters that were constantly secondary characters in a whole bunch of books. Now it seems as though everyone has their own book and their own sets of secondary characters. The only time we see heroes crossing over is in guest appearances... unless its Batman who has some how found a way to be a secondary character in books like Justice League International and Catwoman. Its one thing to be a part of a team, but these are obviously secondary positions that he is put in. Secondary characters are "helpers" that help the story along and sometimes complicate things, but special guest appearances are usually, "Look were teaming up! Bye!"
    I like when characters complicate things. I don't understand why big characters can't complicate other characters books as secondary characters. I'm tired of guest appearances. What do you think?

Guest Appearances are usually done to draw new eyes to a comic.. 'Look Batfans, Batman is in JLI this month so why don't you buy it too' type thing. I usually like guest appearances as they make it so that you know the characters are all sharing the same universe but that being said it can get old hat. Especially in lower selling books where every month Batman or Superman is appearing to 'lend a hand' to the lead.
    D-Deadman! You killed Deadman!!

Quote Originally Posted by doordoor123 View Post
    Why do most books nowadays have guest appearances? I remember when Green Arrow would pretty much be a secondary character in Hal Jordan's Green Lantern book. In fact, there were a lot of big characters that were constantly secondary characters in a whole bunch of books. Now it seems as though everyone has their own book and their own sets of secondary characters.
    Stories also use to have fewer full-page splash panels in the old days, and more happened in a story that took up fewer pages.
    So when books had more total number of pages of story in an issue, there was room to have back-up features. Green Lantern, Firestorm, and Dr. Fate were among the characters that had back-up slots in Barry Allen's Flash in the 1970s and 1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielFlat View Post
    Stories also use to have fewer full-page splash panels in the old days, and more happened in a story that took up fewer pages.
    So when books had more total number of pages of story in an issue, there was room to have back-up features. Green Lantern, Firestorm, and Dr. Fate were among the characters that had back-up slots in Barry Allen's Flash in the 1970s and 1980s.
    :( Yeah. I don't understand how that changed so much. I blame 90s comic books.

:( Yeah. I don't understand how that changed so much. I blame 90s comic books.
    On the other hand, newer readers probably feel the old stuff was "too wordy" . . . they want a full page (or two) devoted to simple things, like maybe a character opening a door (whether or not anything interesting is on the other side of the door).

Quote Originally Posted by DanielFlat View Post
    On the other hand, newer readers probably feel the old stuff was "too wordy" . . . they want a full page (or two) devoted to simple things, like maybe a character opening a door (whether or not anything interesting is on the other side of the door).
    I hate wasted pages. There are lots of panels of pointless actions that take up to much size, in fact I find a lot of panels in general to be too big sometimes.
    Pull list: Aquaman, Batman, Batman Inc, Green Lantern, Justice League, Superman Unchained, JLA

Isn't the universe more unified now than it used to be? What happens in one book is cannon for the rest so it is better to only give writers access to certain characters so that they don't screw the whole company when they write something terrible.

Look at how Hal Jordan and Batman being in multiple titles has lead to continuity/chronology questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge-Dredd View Post
    I hate wasted pages. There are lots of panels of pointless actions that take up to much size, in fact I find a lot of panels in general to be too big sometimes.
    I sometimes don't even realize that there are panels anymore. They just throw a bunch of stuff on a page and call it a comic book.

I sometimes don't even realize that there are panels anymore. They just throw a bunch of stuff on a page and call it a comic book.
    Bigger panels can lead to beautiful, more detailed artwork.

But they frequently seem too common . . . too overdone these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge-Dredd View Post
    It's kind of interesting.. There is a page from Invincible that pokes fun at this sort of stuff.

D-Deadman! You killed Deadman!!

I like modern comics much more, I was very disappointed when I finally picked up Dark Knight Returns. The story was good-ish, but the art was terrible. If it wasn't for the old style art I would pick up Kirby's New Gods stuff and Crisis on Infinite Earths, but it just looks so boring for such important stories, I'd rather just read a book.