Default Best new DCnu bat books

I read Red Hood and Batman but would like to add another bat title to my pull list, I was thinking Batman Inc but didn't read the first vol of it, to difficult to get into or can I start with new #1? Or would something like Batwoman or Batgirl be better to read?

If you're going to go with Batman Inc or Batwoman, you should really start with their previous collected volumes from before the New 52. They are both excellent and I'd highly recommend them.

I would avoid Batgirl, I think it's terrible. Batman Inc and Batwoman are probably the best Batman-family books after Batman.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

First Robin,second Batman nightwing1124's Avatar

Another good one is Nightwing, which you don't really need previous issues of because he was Batman for a while and didn't really do anything as Nightwing for a year or so. Detective is getting a new storyline that's getting pretty good. The only other I read is Batman, so can't tell ya about anything else. Good luck on your search!

With Batman Inc as Sombrero says you should read the earlier editions, but I wouldn't say you actually *have* to. First issue has everything you need to know to jump in

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    If you're going to go with Batman Inc or Batwoman, you should really start with their previous collected volumes from before the New 52. They are both excellent and I'd highly recommend them.

I would avoid Batgirl, I think it's terrible. Batman Inc and Batwoman are probably the best Batman-family books after Batman.
    Batwoman I've read Elegy and loved so if it's like that I'll read it

Quote Originally Posted by Phelpzy View Post
    Batwoman I've read Elegy and loved so if it's like that I'll read it
    The first arc (issues 1-5) is just like Elegy. It's great and I highly recommend it.

The next arc (started in 6, still continuing) has different artists and is told from the perspectives of like six different characters, out of chronological order. Even beyond that storytelling method, I think it's terrible, to where I've stopped reading the book. I think I will continue once JH Williams comes back on art but the current arc is just a mess, sadly.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    The first arc (issues 1-5) is just like Elegy. It's great and I highly recommend it.

The next arc (started in 6, still continuing) has different artists and is told from the perspectives of like six different characters, out of chronological order. Even beyond that storytelling method, I think it's terrible, to where I've stopped reading the book. I think I will continue once JH Williams comes back on art but the current arc is just a mess, sadly.
    Well damn, kinda sucks Williams was one reason I loved the book, well Rucka to but he's off in marvel land writing a badass

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

Well damn, kinda sucks Williams was one reason I loved the book, well Rucka to but he's off in marvel land writing a badass

He sure is! Lovin' every minute of it.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

In order for me to honestly tell you to read Inc. Vol 2., I'd have to tell you to read all of Grant Morrison's Bat-run (RIP - Inc. Vol. 1). Even though you could get away with just jumping on, I don't think it's as rewarding. Also, that's a lot of money/time, so I think you should either go with Nightwing, Batwoman, Batman and Robin (although some disagree), or Batwing. (in that order)

Edit: I Can't believe I forgot Nightwing.
    Last edited by maxpower00044; 06-11-2012 at 06:08 PM.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Only one issue of Batman Incorporated has come out, and so far its been pretty good, so can't go wrong with picking that up. Another good one is Nightwing, which has just come off its Night of Owls issues that were quite good.

Got Tickets for SDCC '15! Power Torch's Avatar

Birds of Prey, Batwoman, Batwing and Nightwing I all find very good.
    "I'm no KILLER, I merely prevent greedy individuals from despoiling the planet."
    -Poison Ivy;BoP#3
    -Pulls:Dark Horse: Ghost, X, Captain Midnight, Blackout. (Check profile for DC).

There's really no consensus on this topic. Each title has both fans and detractors.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Its still a perfectly solid read, its just being told in a style that doesn't work for everyone. Williams is still invovled with the writing and will return to art once the arc is done. It will also likely go back to its normal style of storytelling once the arc is over. I would definitely suggest picking the book up. I think its one of the better books in DC right now.

I would also suggest checking out Batwing which is another solid book. Detective Comics is also a fairly solid read though its also a bit disposible.
    Last edited by Eivion; 06-11-2012 at 10:26 PM.