Default What if he wasn't a jock or nerd but a...

...gymnast in high school (and a 'nerd')?

I know, I know, it's not the 'All-American' sport, but it's something he could do without worrying about hurting others on the pitch/field, but it's also something which would have some form of ostracising from certain fellow students.

It would also go a long way towards explaining Clark's physique, generally ;)

I certainly wouldn't be bothered by it in the least, although I think I prefer the idea he develops a kinda wimpy reputation by pretty much avoiding most physical activities around other kids due to phantom ailments or whatnot.

He could always do a 'David Dunn' and fake an injury which then takes him 'out of the game' and then bring in the 'phantom ailments' ;)

I've sometimes had this fun (to me) image of a powerless Clark tumbling and so forth with Dick, laughing about how he used to do this stuff when he was younger. I suppose he could easily have done stuff like that on the farm or elsewhere in private.

I just dislike "Clark" as any kind of athlete. I always pictured Superman playing any kind of sport as being the equivalent of an adult professional athlete playing on a kid's team. It's like fielding an All-Star team against a run-of-the -mill Little League team. Where's the challenge? The sense of accomplishment?

..for whom the bell tolls The Frozen Reptile's Avatar

Why didn't he do like the GA Superman and fake being a prize-fighter? A good fighter knows how to roll with the punches and he could have "lost" one or two bouts without throwing suspicion. I know if he played hockey, he could not check anyone, he could last second side-step to avoid getting hit and his shot could be kept to below 105 mph (the current record is around that), and he would be changing shifts, and could make it look like he had a bad game once in a while to throw off suspicion.
    "Make yourself comfortable, I haven’t time to attend to it." - With these words, a legend was born.