Default Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z

Im pretty new to manga, sorry if this is a bit of a newb-ish question. Should i read Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z first? And where does the series go after these series, or is that the end of the Manga?.

Also can someone explain briefly the pros/cons of both series, i know nothing other than ive looked at the manga in stores and it looks good, and ive heard its one of the most popular manga series ever.

Dragon Ball goes first. Then Dragon Ball Z. That's it for the manga. The GT anime series exists but it is not canon to the manga and not really that good.

There are two TV specials, "Bardock - The Father of Goku" and "History of Trunks" that are canon depending on who you ask (Toriyama certainly liked them enough to include shout outs in the manga).

Finally, there is, "Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!" which is an anniversary OVA written by Toriyama.

DBOnline (A Dragon Ball Z MMORPG) which takes place about 200 years after the manga ends is kind of considered canon by some as Toriyama had a lot of creative influence there.

As for the pros/cons, DB is a more comedy/adventure series with tournament arcs. DBZ drops some of the comedy aspects, as it becomes a fighting manga about saving the world from big threats.
    Last edited by Hazard; 06-10-2012 at 10:12 AM.

sounds like the original Dragon Ball might be more my thing then. Which do you think is better?

Incidentally, i hated G-Gundam which was abbout tournament fighting so i dont want anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by CromagnonMan View Post
    sounds like the original Dragon Ball might be more my thing then. Which do you think is better?

Incidentally, i hated G-Gundam which was abbout tournament fighting so i dont want anything like that.
    Personally, I don't really prefer one part to the other, but I know a lot of people like the first part better.

That said, there will be tournaments in DB. Not all of it is like that (First arc, Red Ribbon Army arc, and King Piccolo Arc), but it will be there.

I personally liked DB more than DBZ. The supporting characters still matter, there's a lot more comedy, and the fights are far more based around hand to hand than KI spam.

The tournaments aren't bad at all, and the arcs are fairly short so they don't drag on and on.
    Liked Deadpool before it was cool...

Your Hero's Favorite Hero Jay Dogg's Avatar

I'd definitely take the original Dragon Ball over DBZ. If this was 10-13 years ago, I would have said Z...but as I've gotten to watch and read about the original Dragon Ball more (which I still liked back then, but I was a Z junkie), the more I like it better than Z now. The only episode of Z I can still watch is the conclusion to the Perfect Cell saga (Gohan finally killing him).

By the way, when you talk to about DBZ people most will think of the anime, which is a part of the reason why many prefer DB over DBZ.

See, when the anime was being made the manga was still being published (as in the story was not finished yet), so in order to not overtake the manga, the anime added a lot of 'filler'. Making some filler episodes, but more importantly lengthening fights. Some times to insane degrees, which led to plenty of complains about the pacing.

Thing is, the entirety of Dragon Ball (including Z) is only 42 volumes long. That's shorter than Naruto, Bleach and One Piece by a non insignificant amount.

the original Dragon Ball it is then, once i manage to get the books