Default Venom Movie Discussion

According to Avi Arad, Sony's still trying to make a Venom solo film. Does this make sense within the rebooted continuity? Would Eddie Brock Venom make sense as the protagonist of his own franchise? Don't you lose something when you remove Spider-man from the picture and his relationship to Brock and the symbiote?

Personally I think it's a boneheaded idea at least int the immediate future. They should take the time to rebuild the new world first. Tell Peter's story before even considering a spinoff or side project.

What do you guys think?
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

The Venom symbiote can be a gritty, hard-nosed alien that's on the outs with its symbiote wife because of its job with the symbiote military on their planet. When symbiote criminals take over a prisoner transport and jump to Earth to escape justice on their planet, Venom has to pick a host to blend in and go undercover. It picks Flash Thompson, troubled star quarterback, and together they find out the true meaning of family and loyalty. Oh, and Venom kills a bunch of guys.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Important Mayonnaise Joe Burden's Avatar

I read about this today, I'm not sure how well Eddie Brock would fare as a solo protagonist, especially as there's been no indication he's involved in the upcoming ASM film. Obviously he might be featured in a minor role to lay the groundwork, but so far it looks like it's setting up Norman Osbourne as the big bad for the series. I'll be interested to see if/what develops, but as with everything around this reboot I won't be holding my breath. If they based it more on the Flash Thompson Venom however... That's a project I'd like to see developed!

In the interview, he talked a lot about Eddie Brock. He did mention Flash, but it didn't seem like that was the direction they were going. Also, he referenced Raimi's Spider-Man 3 more than the new film. He also said, "hopefully, all these worlds will live together in peace someday." So the implication to me was that they still plan to spin this out of SM3.
    His memory's gone! Or...is it? It's not hard to fake amnesia! The Goblin is capable of anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    In the interview, he talked a lot about Eddie Brock. He did mention Flash, but it didn't seem like that was the direction they were going. Also, he referenced Raimi's Spider-Man 3 more than the new film. He also said, "hopefully, all these worlds will live together in peace someday." So the implication to me was that they still plan to spin this out of SM3.
    Well that's all well and good, but I'm pretty sure they killed Eddie.

I guess Sony is trying to maximize their profit, but this just doesn't seem like the kind of venture I think would pay off.

Well, that death wasn't conclusive, especially in a comic book movie. I'm sure they could explain it away easily. Maybe they don't even bother. It wouldn't surprise me if it spins out of the Raimi trilogy without referencing or contradicting either film.
    His memory's gone! Or...is it? It's not hard to fake amnesia! The Goblin is capable of anything!

We'll Be Waiting For You godzilla2099's Avatar

Raimi's Venom was worse Joel Shoemaker's Batman and Robin!! You can tell Raimi is not a Venom Fan.

Next to Halle Berry Catwoman, I thought that was the biggest tragedy to hit a comic book character.

Reboot the whole damn thing like they did with Spider-Man. Get Brock Lesnar casted as Eddie Brock (or somebody who looks like Brock in the first place)

Sits on the shelf! President Kang's Avatar

Re-doing Eddie's Venom is nigh impossible without Peter Parker / Spidey, unless it's just "symbiote randomly picks Eddie Brock". Flash Thompson kind of makes sense, or at least a military guy.

I don't personally think that Eddie Brock is a strong enough character to carry a solo film. Flash Thompson would be a better option in that respect, although obviously that is with the benefit of 50 years of character building that will simply not be possible in a two hour film.
    http://joshoncomics.blogspot.com/

Latest Entry: Review: The Amazing Spider-Man

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/joshuatait

A Flash Thompson film would be awesome, although I could see The Hunger being adapted to movie format.
    Empty winds scrape on the soul never stop to realize/Animal whisperings intoxicate the night
    Hypnotize the desperate slow motionlight/Wash away into the rain
    Blood, milk and sky....

Quote Originally Posted by President Kang View Post
    Re-doing Eddie's Venom is nigh impossible without Peter Parker / Spidey, unless it's just "symbiote randomly picks Eddie Brock". Flash Thompson kind of makes sense, or at least a military guy.
    That was my opinion on the matter. Of course they'd have to treat the Flash Venom as an alternate universe which is extremely silly all things considered since both Flash's and Venom's history is tied deeply to Peter Parker. Again you still lose something by not having Peter Parker be a part of the picture.

That said, it's easier to make the film standout from Spider-man using Flash what this his military background and training, his struggles with addiction and the threat of the symbiote consuming his personality and turning him into a monster.

There may be plans to link up the films at some point.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2012/06/11...ared-universe/

I think this is a bad idea. It strikes me as a cash grab so that Sony would have new material when it's not feasible to have a new Spider-Man movie.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla2099 View Post
    Raimi's Venom was worse Joel Shoemaker's Batman and Robin!! You can tell Raimi is not a Venom Fan.

Next to Halle Berry Catwoman, I thought that was the biggest tragedy to hit a comic book character.

Reboot the whole damn thing like they did with Spider-Man. Get Brock Lesnar casted as Eddie Brock (or somebody who looks like Brock in the first place)
    I thought the Venom plot thread was probably the strongest one in the movie. It wasn't comic book Venom, but the concept got reworked fairly strongly as Bizarro Peter, great power with no responsibility. Made more sense than what they did to Sandman, anyway.

But then again, if you're looking for Brock Lesnar to be cast as anything... well, that does explain a lot.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com