Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

80% paper

20% iBooks
    Currently enjoying: Batman, Detective Comics, American Vampire, Saga, The Wake, Letter 44, The Manhattan Projects, Atomic Robo, East of West, Ghosted, FBP...

I've never used any digital methods to read entire books before so I'm biased I suppose when I say I love print books and will only read print books.

Animation & Illustration

Try it! You might like it.

I've been an avid reader of paper books (usually going through 1-3 books a week) for 20 years or more now, and yet I've come to like my Nook quite a bit. It's not ideal in some respects, but it allows me to carry a LOT of books in a very lightweight package, and it's convenient to use. The only thing that's been bugging me lately is the battery... damn thing drains out within a week or two if I don't use it at all, and within a few days if I'm actively reading a book. Supposedly it should have much more staying power, though I learned that their usual claim of "not needing to recharge it for weeks" depends on a person who only reads for up to 1.5 hours a day. Given the time, I read a LOT more than that.

At any rate, I like the way it saves my place, I like the dictionary function (actually needed to use it once when I came across an obscure psychiatric term), and I like the ability to tag passages for notes or place multiple bookmarks. And I like that a new release e-book is significantly less expensive than a physical hardback, even with the usual discounts added for popular releases.

About the only thing I don't like is that battery, and that may be because I've got one that just doesn't hold up.
    Last edited by Inkthinker; 06-26-2012 at 05:12 AM.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"- Groucho Marx

Illustration Gallery
    2D Animation Studio

Mostly paper books. I'm not a luddite, I can see the value in the e-book but it's just not for me right now.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

I like my nook an awful lot but it's not like I'll be abandoning print anytime soon especially as there are still so many older books I want to read that have not been made into digital books.

I use my Kindle to back up all my print books. If I'm traveling or on vacation, I have almost my entire home library with me. Like other posters have said, I try to avoid DRM. I am also currently scanning all of my older/more rare books to PDF.

I still like reading print books and comics more though, and I don't see myself ever being entirely devoted to digital.

I read digital pretty much exclusively these days, the books i tend to read are big and chunky so it makes so much more sense to read them on the iPad or Kindle. iPad at home or commuting and an old Kindle for reading in the garden or on the beach.

sHayden - kindle is good and nice to have around if you are in the subway, but it is not the same feeling as with the book. Computer screens are worse. What s the deal with all the downloads? It is really a big thing reading books on the screen of computers? A lot of people i know refuse to download books online and read them on computer screens, since it is not so good especially if you read a lot at work from a computer screen. I d choose the actual books rather than a computer

I was an avid library user - mostly because I think the price of books is outrageous - but I bought a Kindle not long ago, and I think it's fair to say I'm rather addicted.

As well as getting a huge back catalogue of books, I've even managed to find some pdf version's of manga, which is something of a godsend. It really is the best purchase I have made in a long time, and I used to swear by books. But carried 10 on a device that weighs next to nothing is genius. I say, try it!!

iPad for books and comics
    Facebook page dedicated to short films! - https://www.facebook.com/shortstuffmovies

Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

I only buy printed books. I'm interested in getting some kind of kindle or e-book reader though.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    I only buy printed books. I'm interested in getting some kind of kindle or e-book reader though.
    I resisted for the longest time, poo-pooing the idea that some device could give me the experience a good solid book does. But the Kindle is ace! And it does look like printed word. It's not backlit in any way, so if you're going to read in bed with the lights out (like I do), there are also some decent reading lights out there.

I don't believe the KindleFire is in the UK, but I went for the normal non-touch one anyway. I just wanted something cheap(er) and simple, and it really does the job!

I always buy print, I love hardcovers better but normally only find paperbacks. I don't like kindle books tbh.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I always buy print, I love hardcovers better but normally only find paperbacks. I don't like kindle books tbh.
    About six months ago I was in the same boat as you but I grew frustrated with the lack of availability of some books so I switched to the Kindle app on my IPAD and now there is no going back. Dont get me wrong, nothing will ever replace that tangible feeling and smell of a new book butI am 99 per cent digital when it comes to reading novels of any sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Parnell View Post
    About six months ago I was in the same boat as you but I grew frustrated with the lack of availability of some books so I switched to the Kindle app on my IPAD and now there is no going back. Dont get me wrong, nothing will ever replace that tangible feeling and smell of a new book butI am 99 per cent digital when it comes to reading novels of any sort.
    I have the kindle app on my iPod but just can't be bothered, I love picking up a book D;
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”