Default Two Superman Comics from my childhood.

I have been looking for two comics from my childhood to the point Ive nearly purchased every Supes comic between 1993 and 1997. I cant find either of these.

First one includes a title page of a rather large out of shape man donning some cheap looking superman gear and Everlast boxing shorts wanting to take up the mantle of superman. I distinctly remember his intelligence was rather low. This is likely around the death of superman, as i cant remember why else he would be so distraught about there needing to be one.

The second, some formless entity (who I keep thinking is Matrix) wakes up in supermans tomb, and I believe is detained by robots, and by passing through them, causes an electronic disturbance and some sort of 'snerf' reaction from them. The memory I have from it is that this matrix like entity isnt sure who it is or why its where it is.

Im running out of money and patience in finding these two comics. If anyone has any information on where i can look for them, or what series and issues they might be, I would truly be eternally gratefull.

Thank you.
    Z3r0t3n

Assuming you mean this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bibbo_Bibbowski.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	94706

Apparently it's from "Reign of the Supermen" story arc. Can't find the exact issue, but it's Bibbo calling himself "Sooperdood", http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Bibbo_Bibbo...28New_Earth%29 Look down the bottom of the page for 62 appearances of bibbo, compare that to any issues you're missing, it should be one of them.

And this could be the second one...

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Action_Comics_Vol_1_687
    Last edited by Chainshada; 06-09-2012 at 12:18 AM.
    Ame-Comi, Aquaman, Batman, Batwoman, Blue Beetle, I, Vampire, JL, JLD, JLI, Nightwing, Red Hood, Superboy, Supergirl, Teen Titans, Scarlet Spider, Ultimate Spider-Man, X-Factor, X-Men:Legacy.

I just looked it up and they are both the same comic. Action #687.

The formless entity is the Eradicator Superman. Matrix was a shapeshifter who was the post-Crisis Supergirl up until Kara was reintroduced in 2004.

You guys are awesome! I wish Id found this forum 5 years and almost $3000 ago. If I can return this favor, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by z3r0t3n View Post
    You guys are awesome! I wish Id found this forum 5 years and almost $3000 ago. If I can return this favor, let me know.
    You said in your first post you bought the Superman comics from 1993 to 1997 and that cost you $3000? Are you serious? These comics aren't worth more than a dollar a piece.

Not if you buy a bunch of trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Not if you buy a bunch of trades.
    ???

The majority of comics pre-2000 have never been collected with few exceptions such as major storyarcs. So if you are buying all the Superman comics from 1993-1997 you certainly are not going to be able to get them in trade paperback format.

And really even in that format $3000 is grossly overvalued. There were four Superman titles in those years (Action Comics, Adventures of Superman, Superman vol 2, and Man of Steel) and also a fifth quarterly title that started in 1995 called Man of Tomorrow. So basically a rough estimate of 50 comics a year times 5 years is 250 comics. At about a dollar a piece, you shouldn't pay more than $250 for the whole thing. And really if you take the time to look around on ebay you could probably find big lot auctions substantially cheaper than that.

Quote Originally Posted by batman_pwns View Post
    ???

The majority of comics pre-2000 have never been collected with few exceptions such as major storyarcs. So if you are buying all the Superman comics from 1993-1997 you certainly are not going to be able to get them in trade paperback format.
    No, not the majority. But quite a few are in trades. There's also the $4.95 comics like "Speeding Bullets" and "Kal". All of the mini-series. Every issue of Superboy, Steel, Supergirl and Showcase. Not to mention JLA issues and guest spots in other books. I also believe he was talking about buying these comics when they originally came out, and he lost quite a few of them and has had to replace them. In which case, if you count the original price and then what he paid for it in back issues, then yes, that could be close.

Also, not every comic book store will have back issues on the cheap. When I go through the stock of three of the stores in my area, they are all cover price except for the older and more rarer comics. As well as what's in the 25 cent boxes that are used. The only time I've gotten comics for a lot less like that was on FCDB, Black Friday and last year when two of the stores took part in a local comic convention. They had their stock at 25 cents, which allowed me to get most of Greg Rucka's run on AOS and all of "Up, Up And Away". But some of the other dealers had their stuff at regular price unless it wasn't marked, then it was two dollars. And at Half Price Books, if a comic isn't bagged and boarded, it's 50 cents. If it is sealed up, it's either $1.50 or $2.50, or higher depending on what it is.

Sorry for the confusion. The $3000 is what Ive spent on my entire collection looking for this comic. I didnt spend any more than $15 per issue. I never thought it was the first issue back, but I now am aware of occams razor. I do however now own three of this issue. One 9.6 cert, one variant, and one for reading.

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chainshada View Post
    assuming you mean this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bibbo_Bibbowski.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	94706

apparently it's from "reign of the supermen" story arc. Can't find the exact issue, but it's bibbo calling himself "sooperdood", http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/bibbo_bibbo...28new_earth%29 look down the bottom of the page for 62 appearances of bibbo, compare that to any issues you're missing, it should be one of them.

And this could be the second one...

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/action_comics_vol_1_687
    Bibbo.....

Quote Originally Posted by z3r0t3n View Post
    I do however now own three of this issue. One 9.6 cert, one variant, and one for reading.
    You're kidding, right? None of those comics will ever be worth anything. The 90s was one huge scam job. These single issues of the era of Superman's death will never be worth more than a dollar or two. Comics in this era were so massively overproduced that the supply is FAR FAR FAR greater than the demand, so the price is never going to rise.

You also said you paid up to $15 for some of those comics. Sorry dude, but you got scammed HARD. If you had shopped around you can very easily find them for under a dollar. People on ebay have to practically give them away because nobody wants them.

Quote Originally Posted by batman_pwns View Post
    You're kidding, right? None of those comics will ever be worth anything. The 90s was one huge scam job. These single issues of the era of Superman's death will never be worth more than a dollar or two. Comics in this era were so massively overproduced that the supply is FAR FAR FAR greater than the demand, so the price is never going to rise.

You also said you paid up to $15 for some of those comics. Sorry dude, but you got scammed HARD. If you had shopped around you can very easily find them for under a dollar. People on ebay have to practically give them away because nobody wants them.
    ^ This. So sorry to hear the amount of totally insane money the OP spent to track down these easy issues to find. In fact, my LCBS not only has these issues in the $1 bin, but in duplicates.