Page 1 of 64 123451151 ... LastLast

Default Is T'Challa a good husband, Ororo a good wife?

I don't want to clog up the BP thread with my arguments about the marriages portrayal anymore but since this topic won't die I think we need a thread to actually talk about it.

o

Don't know why Marvel keeps beating around the bush. If they don't like/can't write the marriage why don't they just end it. Not sure what Mephisto is doing these days but I'm sure he could pencil T'Challa in.

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

I'll say my piece before the usuals turn this into either massive S**tstorm, or a BP bashing thread.

T'Challa has lately been a bad husband. I'd say from around Doomwar up, though he wasn't exactly awesome beforehand either.

Ororo hasn't been perfect either. Especially not when it comes to AvX. And due to PIS reasons, didn't round up T'Challa like she should have during that Hell's Kitchen mess.

But honestly, I don't think any marriage in mainstream comics have been good. Definitely not Reed and Sue, not Mary Jane and Peter, not Black Bolt and Medusa, definitely not Crystal and Quicksilver, Wanda and Vision, or Jan and Hank...

Frankly, I can't find a good example of a marriage. Except in DC (the Dibneys and I guess Clark and Lois).

Let me be as blunt as possible. Marriage and relationships are not bad story elements. They aren't toxic by nature.

But I don't think I've ever seen a mainstream superhero writer write a decent relationship in comics. Unless it's during their forays in the independent publishers. Hell, I don't think any are even CAPABLE of that right now.
    Last edited by Double 0; 06-08-2012 at 10:14 AM.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Here we go again. The Panther Cult Royals are perfect together . Now as for the portrayals its been up and down. When its done right i can't ask for more and when its not it make me cringe and therefore have to edit the issue in my mind. but the real thorn at myside that keeps me from truly enjoying them together are the rabbid fan and unfan and poor writers with or no agendas.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

What I ain't getting from T'Challa and Storm, I hope to get from Apollo and Midnighter over at DC.

Was hoping after Liss' issues on the two, we'd get something good soon after. But man, I'm getting tired of Marvel's f'kery with this couple. And quite honestly, I don't get how anyone in general isn't exhausted on arguing about this topic. It's the same thing over and over again, why the need to rehash years of backlash against each other because of this crap? Especially with the writers being at complete fault in this current event.
    Last edited by Greg Anderson; 06-08-2012 at 10:34 AM.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post
    What I ain't getting from T'Challa and Storm, I hope to get from Apollo and Midnighter over at DC.

Was hoping after Liss' issues on the two, we'd get something good soon after. But man, I'm getting tired of Marvel's f'kery with this couple. And quite honestly, I don't get how anyone in general isn't exhausted on arguing about this topic. It's the same thing over and over again, why the need to rehash years of backlash against each other people of this crap? Especially with the writers being at complete fault in this current event.
    Despite my general disdain for most things X-Men I was really looking forward to this pairing but I'm firmly in the break them up camp now. AvX has pretty much killed any interest I've had in Storm. I'm not really sure what Marvel's goal here was but I'm probably going to be dropping the only 616 X-book I pick up post AvX.
    Black Panther eats pizza, we eat pizza!

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post

Was hoping after Liss' issues on the two, we'd get something good soon after. But man, I'm getting tired of Marvel's f'kery with this couple. And quite honestly, I don't get how anyone in general isn't exhausted on arguing about this topic. It's the same thing over and over again, why the need to rehash years of backlash against each other people of this crap? Especially with the writers being at complete fault in this current event.
    I agree. I like them as a couple and wished Marvel had let Priest go further with the development when he was writing Black Panther. What exasperates me are the fans who insist they had no history together. Reed and Sue got married in FF annual #3. Ororo and T'Challa have been at least acquainted for much longer than that. And it's not all that unusual for couples to get married after a whirlwind romance anyway. Hollywood couples did it all the time before they just started shacking up instead.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

Me too Mr.Anderson i thought after liss thing were gonna move for the better but fans are still stuck in limbo waiting

I still love T'challa but I look forward to the day where he is written like a grownup. For most of the marriage's poratrayal he is always trying to show how cool he is... I think it's sad that T'challa is a spoiled child and Ororo is a doormat and looses her will when she's around him. I look forward to the pair actually ending their codependency and becoming better. T'challa is a great character, king... and a crap husband.

o

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by StormXPantherQueen View Post
    Me too Mr.Anderson i thought after liss thing were gonna move for the better but fans are still stuck in limbo waiting
    Mr. Liss was denied the use of Storm after the Stormhunter arc.

To me it's all uncreative-bad writing. So no Storm isn't a bad wife, or T'challa a bad husband. It's poor writing, poor and stupid editioral decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra View Post
    Mr. Liss was denied the use of Storm after the Stormhunter arc.

To me it's all uncreative-bad writing. So no Storm isn't a bad wife, or T'challa a bad husband. It's poor writing, poor and stupid editioral decisions.
    I really don't understand how Marvel creators can wrap their heads around the Inhumans and making a relationship involving a mute work, but when it comes to BP and Storm, they're like... "durrr..... I dunno. Black folks are so tough to understand. Plus who would believe this premise!?"
    Black Panther eats pizza, we eat pizza!

They're only as good as a writer is going to make them. Plenty of opportunities to do something special with these two but nope, Marvel doesn't know how. Now a King and Queen are taking orders from a Captain and a lunatic trying to decide on what's best for a girl who doesn't know what she is. T'Challa and Storm used to have their own opinions and ideas about things. Not anymore. You want a better marriage? Stop blaming the characters and start blaming the architects.
    We Want You! Join Us At CBR:Age of Marvels!

CBB. We March Thru Your Thread With A Million MoFos.

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon McKinnis View Post
    I really don't understand how Marvel creators can wrap their heads around the Inhumans and making a relationship involving a mute work, but when it comes to BP and Storm, they're like... "durrr..... I dunno. Black folks are so tough to understand. Plus who would believe this premise!?"
    Do they? I don't think Black Bolt's marriage has been written particularly great either.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

Yeah, if a writer can make me believe that the Crystal / Ronan marriage, one that was not based on love but on politics, can work than there's no reason for the writers not to do the same for this marriage.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon McKinnis View Post
    I don't think it's that. I think it's something more. I think it's that they really don't care about writing them well. It's not that black folks are hard to write. We have seen writers write them well for years. But from the beginning writers haven't been willing or able to write a relationship of equals. They see T'challa as superior and have in subtle ways pushed that instead of portraying them equally. They have to dumb down her powers in both X and Bp titles, ignore her experience and diminish her voice and standing in order to prop him up. It's annoying to read and know that that was their aim from the beginning.

o