Thread: TPB/HC Only?

Default TPB/HC Only?

I'm a digital reader, but I've thought about going the TPB/HCI/Collected Edition route. Do you see TPBs and HCs in the future just like digital? Being current with the New 52 is great and all, but I wouldn't mind having a library of trades, especially hardcovers of runs that are "must reads." Should I do both or go one way or the other? I mean, that'd be pretty expensive to do both for all the titles I'm reading... Anyway, what do you see is the better option? Are you a trade only person?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Neal View Post
    I'm a digital reader, but I've thought about going the TPB/HCI/Collected Edition route. Do you see TPBs and HCs in the future just like digital? Being current with the New 52 is great and all, but I wouldn't mind having a library of trades, especially hardcovers of runs that are "must reads." Should I do both or go one way or the other? I mean, that'd be pretty expensive to do both for all the titles I'm reading... Anyway, what do you see is the better option? Are you a trade only person?
    I've yet to go full-in digital, but I buy collected editions every month along with a very few regular comic books. Having hardcovers and trades on a bookshelf really is convenient and looks awesome. I don't see collected editions going extinct anytime soon. If anything, collected editions will outlast regular issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Neal View Post
    I'm almost 100% digital. Most of the very few exceptions are hc's and tpb's. I get those for books that I just MUST own in a collected format or, sadly, in every format available. I also like having core series or arcs in non-digital formats in case the day ever comes that electronics are unavailable to me for very long periods of time.

I'm not just talking about some kind of paranoid, global nightmare scenario, either. I've seen, first-hand, what it's like to be in post-hurricane (and other) conditions and have only the simplest of ways to amuse oneself. There's a limit, though, because I do NOT want my comic collection taking over my life or my home!
    Please pardon any aggressive auto-correct feature typos.

Elder Member

I haven't set foot in a comic shop or bought a floppy in years. I went full TPB (I rarely by HCs) a while ago, but recently I've been edging my way more and more into digital. It's a trade off: On the one had, digital doesn't clutter up my apartment, on the other hand, on a per page basis, TPBs tend to be cheaper (at least on Amazon with the discount). Right now the only stuff I'm really buying in printed collected format is stuff by artists whose work I love. For most other stuff, having the physical copy isn't as big a deal because I'm long past the point where I read stuff over and over again in a short period.

I really like owning physical copies of my comics, and I love storing them on a bookshelf, so I almost only buy soft-cover trades. They're very portable, and take up little space. If I wanted to buy the books and keep them pristine, I could see buying hardcovers, but softcover is cheaper, easier to store, and better for book bags. I'm 0% digital, and only buy floppies so I can tack them up on the wall for decoration.
    Comics enjoyed by my Old Lady: Chew, IKG, Saga, JTHM, Ex Machina, Gil Kane's Green Lantern, Wormwood, NYX, Jurgen and JMS's Thor, along with a few others.

I would love it if I could be sure everything I read will be collected. More and more of what I read will be, so I may start switching to trades where I can. I just moved all my comics on bookshelves so seems trades are the obvious choice here. I have dabbled in digital and I like it well enough, but very little of what I like seems to be available digitally and it seems like some things still need to be worked out in the digital marketplace before I dive in.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

I do a bit of both. Some of the books I follow aren't available digitally yet, so I buy the TPBs when they come out. But once those books end, I probably won't start reading anything new in paper to replace them. From a digital perspective, I tend to wait until there are bundle sales where I can pick up entire story arcs or sometimes entire comic series in one package. I imagine that "digital TPBs" will eventually become available if they are not already.

I haven't bought a paper floppy in years. I just can't justify the cost and storage space for them anymore. Mostly the storage space.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina_Fried View Post
    I do a bit of both. Some of the books I follow aren't available digitally yet, so I buy the TPBs when they come out. But once those books end, I probably won't start reading anything new in paper to replace them. From a digital perspective, I tend to wait until there are bundle sales where I can pick up entire story arcs or sometimes entire comic series in one package. I imagine that "digital TPBs" will eventually become available if they are not already.

I haven't bought a paper floppy in years. I just can't justify the cost and storage space for them anymore. Mostly the storage space.
    Digital TPB are available, yes.

100% digital for monthlies (which are very very few).

Books that I read and really really enjoy, I will buy in collected editions later for easier reading "around the house" (on the can).

There are certain series that I don't even bother with single issues of, but this is typically reserved for books outside of the DC and Marvel digital distribution model, such as TMNT, any random Hellboy mini, and other more independent titles that I might check out.

One thing is for certain, though. Physical copies of single issues is not a route I am ever going down again.
    Writers before artists.
    Artists before concepts.
    Concepts before characters.