Default OPINION: Which cover concept works better for a first issue?

which concept do you think works better for a first issue, and why, what works about them and what doesnt.

Of course ill scan in better quality and add in title text for the final, was just wondering from the roughs which you think looks better

I dunno anything about cover design which is why Im asking critiques!

OR

In my opinion, I would go with the second one, it doesn't reveal too much but draws your attention, too much blank space for eye to wander in the first
    SIDEKICK COMICS UK ~ FROM NOOB TO NERD, GREEN TO GEEK, AND EVERTHING INBETWEEN

http://www.sidekickcomicsuk.com

Do you have a logo to work with on the cover? It may work with one better than the other. I think they both look great!

The Hawk of New York LewMoxinsghost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by de Sosa View Post
    which concept do you think works better for a first issue, and why, what works about them and what doesnt.

Of course ill scan in better quality and add in title text for the final, was just wondering from the roughs which you think looks better

I dunno anything about cover design which is why Im asking critiques!
    Mos def that last one. Use the first one for the back or inside, but the second one for the cover and spine.

Lowe/Piece/Understatement Artycool8or's Avatar

de Sosa,

I hope you don't mind me taking the liberty to crop the first image into what I believe would make a striking cover.
    (but then again, I'm sure there are many who would tell you I suck at covers. So, take my opinion under advisement, only)

Yeh I'd want to do stuff like that, like Dave Mckean did with the sandman kind of, not having the maincharacters on every cover, however I'm not Neil Gaiman and can't write like him, or a genius like McKean and want this thing to have a chance at selling, because no one knows me or the characters, the cover is the only thing I have that would make someone pick it up once it's stocked in a shelf, or when people walk by my table at conventions :p

Quote Originally Posted by Artycool8or View Post
    de Sosa,

I hope you don't mind me taking the liberty to crop the first image into what I believe would make a striking cover.
    (but then again, I'm sure there are many who would tell you I suck at covers. So, take my opinion under advisement, only)

it's here if anyone wants to give opinions and advice and critique of what I have finished so far, I'd appreciate it!
    http://erzsebet.thecomicseries.com/comics/12/
    Last edited by de Sosa; 06-13-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Junior Member Sean@CharitablePress's Avatar

I vote for the second one, too. Good stuff!

I dig the second one too, could work really well with some strong type treatment. Have you considered adding any weight to the line work to make things pop a bit more?

what do you mean, like vary the thickness of the lines of her hair?

I am not at my own computer right now otherwise I could do a little example for you, but adding a bit of a thicker dark line between the body and the hair, and the hair and the background could give you some cool distinction between those parts. Just trying to find ways to add a bit of contrast and depth to the piece I think would really push it over the top. But it could change the style quite a bit and I really like what you already have going on.

I'd vote for the one Artycool8or suggested !

Searching the universe for unblocked internet........

The second one is more intriguing to me, but Artycool8or might have a point with the crop. There's just something oddly compelling about a head on a spear. I might even go a bit wider on that though and maybe show a hint of the girl's hair?