Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Spider #2

Default The Spider #2

The Spider is really distinguishing itself from the pack in the second issue. Previously I had found the art to be a little generic, and it reminded me a little of the traced figures of Greg Land, but here in the second issue it is much less noticeable. I don't know if its the moodier shading or what but this time around there was nothing that took me out of the story and made we wonder what I was looking at in this issue, which is a big improvement.

Another thing that stood out to me were the creative panel lay outs in many of the pages, especially the scene where he found the bomb in the office. Most of the page is of the office, then a tight image of the clock running out and then inside the letters that spell "Boom" we see the Spider jumping out of the fiery explosion, it was just very dynamic and just added a lot to the progression of the story in a very fun way.

Best of all it left me wanting more, and that's the surest mark of success.

BANNED

There were less cityscapes in the art this time, which seemed to be the biggest "traced" scenes last time. Overall, the art and esp the layouts were stunning. I love the story direction as well. This is a really fun read, I just wish I didn't have to wait a whole other month for #3.

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

I enjoyed this issue quite a bit. I enjoyed the continuation of the story from the first issue and even though I felt the first issue was a little better than the 2nd I did highly enjoy it and would recommend this book to ANYONE looking for an alternative to spandex superheroes. The art was tight, the story was tight, the setting was great, and the overall feel of this book is just stellar, people need to give The Spider (and The Shadow) a try and I bet they'd be extremely happy at what they end up reading.

Awesome stuff!

Enjoyed it quite a bit. I really like how the relationships of the characters are being set up and arranged. Definitely did not see that ending coming.

Good stuff.

The Spider has been amazing! The panel layouts really remind me a lot of JH Williams III on Batwoman. Very creative. The writing is nothing to laugh at either. I've loved Dynamites output almost as much as Dark Horses lately. Vampirella, Pantha, Ninjettes, and now The Spider, all quality comics.
    SUPER CRAZY ANIMAL HAND! is coming... now with MIKE ALLRED cover!

follow me on twitter @janthonyh

Amazing issue and an amazing character, The Spider has become my hero of choice as of late and I'm really enjoying the pulps at Dynamite! I love the action in the issue, great stuff.

I really like this book. Big fan of Liss and the art and layouts are top notch. My only complaint would be some of the panels don't relay the story as well as they could (specifically the fight scene with Anput and then the zombies). It all looks good, but relies on Liss' dialogue to tell the whole story where the art should be taking some more of the responsibility.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

I liked the 2nd issue less than the first but im still on board for the run. Not a fan of the art but I can get past that because the story is pretty good. I like the humor and find the character interesting enough. Some of the transition scene's were a bit confusing. I also dont get how he's talking to his girlfriend in front of everybody during the zombie scene. For me, its too obvious who the Spider is and the antagonists arent that interesting yet, though i love the costumes. I got the Francavilla cover and its freaking beautiful.

I just re-read The Spider #2 and I'm still blown away at the ending where Hilt gives away who he thought The Spider was and his file to the enemy, what a brilliant hook into the 3rd issue and a great piece of storytelling! I also loved that we got A LOT of The Spider in costume in this issue, I hope this trend continues because Wentworth himself is pretty cool but The Spider is 10x cooler and I love seeing him in action. Man, if you would have told me 6 months ago I'd be a fan of The Spider I would have told you that you were nuts, but here I am.....a fan of The Spider!

So, has the steam for this book faded already? The first Spider thread both on here and on the official Dynamite forums were pretty full and lots of people were chiming in with heavy praise for the book, this thread only has 7 (now 8) comments on issue #2, has sales dwindled between issue #1 and issue #2 THAT much? If so than that makes me sad because I personally feel that The Spider has been a refreshing tale of a superhero who isn't really a superhero who's willing to do anything to "get the job done" and deserves more readers. It really is a fantastic comic, give it a try people!

I love the Spider and don't think its loosing steam or anything its just so great. I would say The Spider and the Shadow have become two of the most sought after indy books in a long time and it will boost dynamites popularity. Issue no2 was awesome and the ending shocked me like it did to many others but man was it awesome. Lots of action in this issue 2 and I bet issue 3 will be no different.

BANNED

I preferred issue #2 to #1. I love the book

Quote Originally Posted by HasbroSlayer84 View Post
    I love the Spider and don't think its loosing steam or anything its just so great. I would say The Spider and the Shadow have become two of the most sought after indy books in a long time and it will boost dynamites popularity. Issue no2 was awesome and the ending shocked me like it did to many others but man was it awesome. Lots of action in this issue 2 and I bet issue 3 will be no different.
    Well, maybe you're right and maybe people aren't just discussing it on here for some reason or another. I know the series is selling extremely well and Dynamite has sold out of it's print runs of the book which is always a great sign, so I guess maybe I'm just worried over nothing. Still, I hope this book is around for a long time and enjoys a nice healthy shelf life because there is just something special about The Spider that I just can't explain, the whole pulp revival is really quite a joy for me and many others who are picking up these books each month.

BANNED

I don't see it running as long as Red Sonja or the Boys, just because Dynamite seems to like to restart every other series after a couple of years for a new first issue. I know I totally lost track of Lone Ranger when they did that to it.

Just picked up issue #2 today off the spinner rack at a comic book shop (they didn't go back to issue #1), but didn't have a chance to read it yet.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.