Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolfan View Post
    Superman doesn't do much in Justice League because the writer doesn't understand the character, in my view.
    Which is funny considering it's written by Geoff Johns who written some great Superman stories in the past.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Which is funny considering it's written by Geoff Johns who written some great Superman stories in the past.

He never understood Superman. He just wrote a good Legion of Superheroes story around him.

action comics is probably my favorite run on superman since the bronze age
    Grandparents dead - please no jokes

make mine DC, thanks

Default Considering what Superman stuff John's has written....

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    I remember he wrote some creditable issues before the triangle numbers were ditched. I didn't think they were fantastic, but they were good.

What I am referring to is his run with Busiek when he was writing Action and Busiek was writing Superman. The two books didn't compare, in my view, Busiek even said here in these forums that he couldn't do certain things with some of the characters because John's hadn't made up his mind about what to do.

If Secret Origin was meant to be John's definitive view of the character, I thought it was a mess. Like it couldn't decide what it was exactly.

I credit Grant Morisson with at least having a clear viewpoint of what he thinks Superman should be, I don't like all of it, but at least its a coherent viewpoint. Johns doesn't seem to have this, and when he starts getting close to writing something in the Superman arena, he has a tendancy, in my view, to slip back over to Green Lantern and write that stuff.
    I just think that John's is way more comfortable writing about Hal Jordan and the accessory carriers than Superman. There's nothing wrong with it, but it lends credence to my opinion that he doesn't really 'get' the character.
    If the shoe fits: "a crankly old man standing just on the edge of a crowd gathered for a concert and stamping his feet yelling at the crowd to stop having fun, that they don't know what fun is."

Quote Originally Posted by super1man View Post
    He never understood Superman. He just wrote a good Legion of Superheroes story around him.
    Which one? The only one I am familar with is the one in issue 900. I thought it was a little cloying....but that really is a taste thing. When he wrote Superboy, did he write some Legion stories in Adventure Comics?
    If the shoe fits: "a crankly old man standing just on the edge of a crowd gathered for a concert and stamping his feet yelling at the crowd to stop having fun, that they don't know what fun is."

You're Talkin' Gibberish! Kurt Busiek's Avatar

Busiek even said here in these forums that he couldn't do certain things with some of the characters because John's hadn't made up his mind about what to do.
    No. I said there were things I couldn't do because DC hadn't decided on certain things.

Geoff couldn't do them either.

kdb
    Visit Busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

a nasty piece of work Let's Kill Hitler's Avatar

Which one? The only one I am familar with is the one in issue 900. I thought it was a little cloying....but that really is a taste thing. When he wrote Superboy, did he write some Legion stories in Adventure Comics?
    He wrote "Superman and the Legion of Superheroes", which is easily the best part of his run. Is that what your thinking of, I have no idea what issue number, read it in trade.

Thought over all Geoff Johns run was really good up until New Krypton. It was like reading the continued adventures of Christopher Reeves Superman, which i imagine wouldn't appeal to a lot of people but I enjoyed a lot of it on that level.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Kill Hitler View Post
    He wrote "Superman and the Legion of Superheroes", which is easily the best part of his run. Is that what your thinking of, I have no idea what issue number, read it in trade.

Thought over all Geoff Johns run was really good up until New Krypton. It was like reading the continued adventures of Christopher Reeves Superman, which i imagine wouldn't appeal to a lot of people but I enjoyed a lot of it on that level.
    Yeah that's why I didn't care for most of his run. I think Superman for a long time needed to move on and modernize. Johns's run gives the impression Superman hasn't changed one bit since 1978. I also didn't like the xenophobic take on Legion. I thought the whole idea was that the future inspired Superman on what humanity will achieve thanks to him

a nasty piece of work Let's Kill Hitler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Yeah that's why I didn't care for most of his run. I think Superman for a long time needed to move on and modernize. Johns's run gives the impression Superman hasn't changed one bit since 1978.
    I can definitely see that, though I'd say that's a problem the pre Flashpoint superman had way before Geoff Johns ever touched him. One of the best things about Morrison's new Superman is that he's turned a character whose outdatedness had practically become a character trait into one of the most relevant and modern Superheroes out there right now.

I still enjoyed Johns take though.

Double post.....oops
    Last edited by OldSchoolfan; 06-15-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Default Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    No. I said there were things I couldn't do because DC hadn't decided on certain things.

Geoff couldn't do them either.

kdb
    Thank you for the clarification. I really had the impression that he was the one calling the shots at that point. So I wasn't tying to mischaracterize what you were saying, the mistake was an honest one. Sorry.

It also changes my opinion of Johns a litte. So I learned something new, never a bad thing.

For me, your run with Pacheco is still the gold standard for recent Superman stuff. I know I told you before, but it never hurts to say again, I really liked Camelot Falls and all of the Superman issues you wrote. I would like to see more.

Waiting for the last few issues of Kirby:Genesis and then to see what your next project will be. You said you would make noise when it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Kill Hitler View Post

I remember that arc now, thanks for reminding me. I liked the way he used the future/past juxtaposition. But overall, John's really loves the Donner version of Superman, and I thought it showed through in the stories he told in Action, but it didn't really seem like an independent voice to me. I didn't care for Secret Origin at all....it really seems to me like he was struggling to figure out what his version of Superman would be like...he doesn't seem to write the character as confidently as he does Hal Jordon for example. It's not because of opportunity, he's had plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Butler View Post
    Disregarding your phrasing of your taste as objective aside, I should point out that only the concept of Superman as he appeared in the jeans and t-shirt shares any similarity with the golden age Superman. Everything else since then has, if anything, been distinctly silver age in it's feel. That's what the origin arc was about, taking the social justice crusader of the golden age who fights wife beaters and business tycoons and evolving him to a silver age-level threatkiller (not literally, of course). The page in #7 where he throws off his jeans and t-shirt outfit for the sleek sci-fi supersuit, to fight an alien and a man of metal, was pretty obvious in it's metaphorical transition to the silver age. And all of the stories that have taken place chronologically since then have reflected that. The 2-part Legion story, the one-shot multiverse story about President Superman vs Superdoom, and this... all silver age.

So, I guess you're right, don't let anyone "con" anyone else into believing this is the golden age Superman (although I am wondering exactly who said this that you're referring to). Because it's not, but that was never the point.
    Its true the first arc of Action was thematically about the transition from the Golden Age to the Silver Age. The 'champion of the oppressed' street-level vigilante Superman dons an alien suit of armor and takes on an extraterrestrial overlord and his cyborg henchman, and by the end of the story establishes an orbital 'Fortress'.

However, as is clear from issue ten, Clark still hasn't made the transition completely, personality wise. He knows he's in a bigger league now (literally, since he's now hanging around intergalactic cops, Atlantean royalty and an Amazon princess among others), with much more power at his disposal both in a physical and in a psychological sense...however, he's still fueled by his idealism and his desire to reshape the world using the force of his powers, without any regard for the status quo. I honestly believe that's going to be one of the primary theme's of Morrison's run-Clark may have a new suit, a Fortress in space, super-powered buddies, and the power to fly...but his attitude is still that of the street-level vigilante. The change in his worldview, and his methodology, will mark the final transition from the Golden Age Superman to the Silver/Bronze/Modern Age Superman of today.

You're Talkin' Gibberish! Kurt Busiek's Avatar

Waiting for the last few issues of Kirby:Genesis and then to see what your next project will be. You said you would make noise when it happened.
    I will.

kdb
    Visit Busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

I think I prefer action because Clark Kent comes off better. I am not a big fan of the Superman act that Clark puts on as Superman. This new Clark is tad bit interesting. But I wish that uniform made sense.