Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default MORNING GLORY DAYS: Fully Physically Educated

Before today's "P. E." finale, catch up with Nick Spencer's thoughts on the deadly "Morning Glories" arc from what terrors can make Ike a believer to the tricky nature of Jun's new romance and more.

Full article here.

Sweet! More dudes kissing!! Exactly what every comic needs now!!! Hey look everyone, there's the bandwagon....!!!!

Default Morning Glories in all its glory

Quote Originally Posted by okayaxis View Post
    Sweet! More dudes kissing!! Exactly what every comic needs now!!! Hey look everyone, there's the bandwagon....!!!!
    blah blah blah.

considering this would have to have been written 3-4 months ago, and there was no way for him to know what Marvel or DC was up to, it's just a coincidence. if you are that put out by it, then don't' read the book. from a story perspective it seemed to come out of left field to me but so do a lot of things in the condensed story-telling style of comics so i just turned the page.

back on point, i am enjoying the book but even as a regular reader i am finding it difficult to read. almost everything that happens is built upon what has come before and there are at least 5 threads going on at any given time that seem to unfold ok but there are no mile markers. with that i mean that when telling an elongated story, it helps the reader to reach places where there are touch points or turns in the road of the grander story when something changes in the status quo enough so that the reader can let go of lingering details and concentrate on what is happening at that moment. that's different than a story development or adding a new character. there have been some but after almost 400 pages of story there haven't been that many. this book does seem to enjoy stretching things out and now that we are at a year and a half we are still seeing a great many things built upon what happened in the first few issues. nothing wrong with that but it's getting to be time to wrap some of them up and start some new ones. again, let me be clear that ADDING to an existing subplot is not the same thing as STARTING a new one.

all that being said, the story is compelling to a point and def is interesting. i also can't ignore the fact that the art, while sometimes simple, is extraordinary for a small published book with the coloring lifting the panels off the page. could use some more distinct inking IMO but i'll chalk that up to style preference. And that there is a lot of story between each cover. srsly people, check out that page count. it takes me about 20 minutes to get though an issue, compared to about 5 for any given Marvel book I read. for $2.99 this book is a steal.

considering this would have to have been written 3-4 months ago, and there was no way for him to know what Marvel or DC was up to, it's just a coincidence. if you are that put out by it, then don't' read the book. from a story perspective it seemed to come out of left field to me but so do a lot of things in the condensed story-telling style of comics so i just turned the page.

its not so much the timeline of it all that pisses me off, as much as it is simply the fact that they felt the need to mention it in the article, as all are doing now. do we need to see an art-clip of lois and clark making out? or bring it to the forefront that the penguin might be fornicating with a female puffin? who cares. i'm just saying.....stop cramming it down our throats already. jeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by ultraaman View Post

back on point, i am enjoying the book but even as a regular reader i am finding it difficult to read. almost everything that happens is built upon what has come before and there are at least 5 threads going on at any given time that seem to unfold ok but there are no mile markers. with that i mean that when telling an elongated story, it helps the reader to reach places where there are touch points or turns in the road of the grander story when something changes in the status quo enough so that the reader can let go of lingering details and concentrate on what is happening at that moment.
    I think that exists already. I think each arc had a story and ended it, but it's just there are tons of little things here and there that may not make sense for awhile. But I don't think you're expected to remember them all, but more as a reread or look back and then say "Oh .... that's what that was."

Other than that I guess it's just personal preference. You want to let go of lingering details and concentrate on the moment, but I like the fact that there are tons of things that don't make sense right now, but you know they will. I would completely agree with you if this was a miniseries that turned into an ongoing, but with Nick saying he has the essential story already plotted out I feel confident everything will make sense at the end. I really enjoy the anticipation of rereading this title every 6 months or so and seeing how many more things have a different light on them.

Agreed, this is getting ridiculous and I’m tired of seeing this. But no matter what we say we’ll always come off as the bad guys.
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women." - Conan

its not so much the timeline of it all that pisses me off, as much as it is simply the fact that they felt the need to mention it in the article, as all are doing now. do we need to see an art-clip of lois and clark making out? or bring it to the forefront that the penguin might be fornicating with a female puffin? who cares. i'm just saying.....stop cramming it down our throats already. jeesh.
    Yes, and I'm sure you'd be complaining if it was Clark and Lois making out. I don't know why the issue gets you so hot and bothered, seeing as how almost all of your posts have just been you complaining about gay characters.

And they're mentioning it in the article because they're talking about all of the events from the last few issues. Why should they skip over that part of the storyline?

I wonder when homosexuality in North American mainstream comics will be treated as a non-issue (meaning: included in a completely organic way, as it was in this comic). I mean, that'll happen when homophobe readers stop raging about it (good fucking luck with that, yeah, I know) *AND* when big companies stop inflating the issue to make Big Commercial Events out of it. Yeah, I wonder when.

I give it, say, 30 years. Fingers crossed.

Let me just chime in for a bit and assure everyone that there was never any 'agenda' with Jun & Guillaume. It was kind of weird/fortuitous with the timing of everything, but we didn't plan that.

Or maybe we did.

We didn't.
    Joe Eisma-Morning Glories Artist
    Supajoe.com Devart Twitter