Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Wait, you thought the back up featuring Calvin Ellis was pointless??? Huh? Personally I think any glimpses we get of President Superman is special treat. I want as many as possible.

I feel like many of the back-ups further develop Clark and the new Superman universe... I personally felt like the added to the story...They are kinda like DVD extras... You enjoy the main feature without but watching them adds to the movie so to speak....
    While I was definetly intrigued by President Superman, the fantasy of an evil version of Iran being attacked seemed silly compared to the great issue that had preceded it.

The issue before it was probably my favorite issue of Action. Morrison seemed to not only be criticizing DC comics for hoodwinking the creators of Superman but the very idea of Superman as some kind of cultural symbol, when it is a corporate logo that can mean anything, and is thus meaningless. And then the back up is about Superman attacking an evil version of Iran, in some sort of liberal pro-war fantasy. Bleargh.
    Army of Crime

Image: Fatale, Saga
    Dark Horse: Mind Mgmt
    Marvel: Daredevil, Hawkeye, Thor: God of Thunder

The book is going to be $3.99 no matter what. The back-up is just to justify the price in relation to the overall story. So, it's not going anywhere for now.

Just an excuse to get an extra dollar from each sale. The stories are dull and boring

Quote Originally Posted by ArsenalX View Post
    Just an excuse to get an extra dollar from each sale. The stories are dull and boring
    Remeber, it was a $3.99 book even before they put in the back-ups.

Issue 3 seemed like a real rip-off! (I didn't buy the first two issues.)

Other than the Steel backup early on, I can't really think of a backup I really disliked. Actually, I look at them as an interesting proving ground for Sholly Fisch to get some great experience with this incarnation of the character, and maybe someday DC will give him his own Superman title.

Quote Originally Posted by ArsenalX View Post
    Strenuously disagree.

I'm actually liking the back-ups more than the main superman title, which is pretty sad.

It's a shame lobdell is getting the gig instead of fisch.
    Grandparents dead - please no jokes

make mine DC, thanks

BANNED

It's worth the extra dollar for me, and that's all I need.

I'm personally rather fond of them.

The only thing in the current run of Action I haven't liked was the end of eight, when what'sisface took over for Morales for a few pages. That looked dreadful.

All the back-ups though, I've been loving, and Sholly Fisch has been doing great with them. I did indeed like the backup of #9 more than the Tulpa Superman story.

I wouldn't change any of the back-ups.

Here's hoping for more Steel, and more of a longshot, a Jimmy Olsen back-up.

I love Jimmy Olsen.

I love the backups. They've provided great character building moments for the supporting cast, and/or elaborations on the main story. They've provided the only appearances for characters like Lana Lang and Pete Ross, and most of the few scenes in which the Kents have appeared. Grant Morrison's main stories have been fantastic, but the backups have certainly made the extra dollar more than worth it. Action Comics remains my favorite "New 52" title (at least of the initial batch), and the backups only add to the value of the title.
    Currently reading far too many comics to list (mostly DC/Vertigo), despite the best hope of my parents that I'd outgrow comics by the time I turned 50.

BANNED

Frankly, the back-up to #9 was better than the lead strip. So far, this is not turning out to be the second coming of All-Star Superman for me. It probably doesn't help that Superman Beyond and the Smallville comic are better than the main DCU Superman books.

You probably shouldn't have compared this to ASS. You should have taken it at face value and judge it by it's own merits.

Am I the only one that thought #9 was great? I see a lot of people ragging on it. It was the perfect meta-commentary on Superman as well as an intro to President Superman.
    Army of Crime

Image: Fatale, Saga
    Dark Horse: Mind Mgmt
    Marvel: Daredevil, Hawkeye, Thor: God of Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
    Am I the only one that thought #9 was great? I see a lot of people ragging on it. It was the perfect meta-commentary on Superman as well as an intro to President Superman.
    A lot of people have very little patience for that sort of approach.

Without looking back at the issues, I can't remember the details of a single backup story aside from the one in Issue 10, which I thought was great.

The forgettable-ness of them seems to be their most significant attribute.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.