Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    Change is a good thing when done correctly and when needed. This was not done correctly and for the most part was not needed in the way they did it. There was no reason to bury characters that have been around for decades like Donna and Wally. That was wrong on every level as these character have been around longer then most of those now writing the books as well as those reading them. I feel most for the fans of these characters.

My only grip is the suit that Superman is now wearing as I feel it is the one character that should always stay classic because he is the blueprint and the most Iconic of all of them. I have no problem with changing the story around a bit, I've lived through it already with the Byrne take and all the elements are still there that make him what he is. My grip is a personal one and one I will not be able to get over because I feel it truly hurts the character in my eyes. The look is as Iconic as the stories written about him because it is that visual of the character in those silly tights and all that makes him as Iconic as he is.

That being said my grip is nothing compared to the fans of Donna Troy and Wally West.
    It is a business. DC doesn't create imaginary friends for people. They tell stories.

Based on the sales numbers, DC knows what they're doing.

Wally West and Donna Troy fans have every story written about them to read, or do whatever they want with. It's not "wrong" for DC to write what ever they want to write.

I never found the old DCU confusing at all, because I was there while it was being constructed. I was there when there were only 5 1/2 DC superheroes (Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman and Robin, Aquaman, and Green Arrow). I was there when Barry Allen got splashed with chemicals. I was there when Abin Sur gave Hal Jordan his ring. I was there when three teens from the future popped in to say hello to Superboy. I was there when Barry accidentally phased from Central City to Keystone City. And I was there when the Earth-1 JLA first met the Earth-2 JSA. It wasn't confusing at all, then.

It got confusing when DC started ripping up its past and changing it all over the place - in other words, right around 1985-86. And they've never stopped changing it - rather, the changes have come faster and faster, gotten weirder and weirder, and spread farther and farther until there is no place untouched by them.

I expect this to continue, and worsen, until they finally shed too many fans and TimeWarner pulls the plug on them.
    Everything I state is JUST MY OPINION. Take what you like and leave the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8maven View Post
    I never found the old DCU confusing at all, because I was there while it was being constructed. I was there when there were only 5 1/2 DC superheroes (Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman and Robin, Aquaman, and Green Arrow). I was there when Barry Allen got splashed with chemicals. I was there when Abin Sur gave Hal Jordan his ring. I was there when three teens from the future popped in to say hello to Superboy. I was there when Barry accidentally phased from Central City to Keystone City. And I was there when the Earth-1 JLA first met the Earth-2 JSA. It wasn't confusing at all, then.

It got confusing when DC started ripping up its past and changing it all over the place - in other words, right around 1985-86. And they've never stopped changing it - rather, the changes have come faster and faster, gotten weirder and weirder, and spread farther and farther until there is no place untouched by them.

I expect this to continue, and worsen, until they finally shed too many fans and TimeWarner pulls the plug on them.

There are only so many ways to tell "the good guy wins" story without making changes.

DC is losing readership because comic books in general are being replaced by other means of entertainment. Not because they are making changes that upset their vocal minority fan base.

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Concept Coop View Post
    It is a business. DC doesn't create imaginary friends for people. They tell stories.

Based on the sales numbers, DC knows what they're doing.

Wally West and Donna Troy fans have every story written about them to read, or do whatever they want with. It's not "wrong" for DC to write what ever they want to write.
    Ahh. The sales numbers have not been great. Most books have fallen at or below the old universe numbers. I also still find it funny that selling books in the 100 thousands range to be a success to. I know times have changed and DC has lost what was a major piece of what made comics sell the children but selling a hundred thousand copies of a title is shameful. That goes for Marvel too.

Ahh. The sales numbers have not been great. Most books have fallen at or below the old universe numbers. I also still find it funny that selling books in the 100 thousands range to be a success to. I know times have changed and DC has lost what was a major piece of what made comics sell the children but selling a hundred thousand copies of a title is shameful. That goes for Marvel too.
    Comic book sales in general (not just DC) have gone UP since the New 52. I have not read anything that has suggested otherwise.

Nothing DC or Marvel can do will bring back old readership numbers. That is why they are investing elsewhere. Look at the numbers The Avengers movie put up and tell me Marvel doesn't know what they are doing. When TDKR comes out - same thing.

Comic books are dying, as a mainstream medium. You can convince yourself that DC not pandering to you is the reason. But, I find that silly and delusional.

You really need to check where you get your numbers from DC sales overall are higher than they have been in the past few years. O.o
    D-Deadman! You killed Deadman!!

Comic book sales in general (not just DC) have gone UP since the New 52. I have not read anything that has suggested otherwise.

Nothing DC or Marvel can do will bring back old readership numbers. That is why they are investing elsewhere. Look at the numbers The Avengers movie put up and tell me Marvel doesn't know what they are doing. When TDKR comes out - same thing.

Comic books are dying, as a mainstream medium. You can convince yourself that DC not pandering to you is the reason. But, I find that silly and delusional.
    No comics are dying because they are catering to the adults instead of the children like they use to in their heyday. First and foremost drop the price so kids could enjoy then and get them back into the convenience stores with stories that is suitable for all ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadenewt View Post
    You really need to check where you get your numbers from DC sales overall are higher than they have been in the past few years. O.o
    Only on 4 or 5 of the main books and even those are coming down as well. Others have fallen drastically. Look it up.

No comics are dying because they are catering to the adults instead of the children like they use to in their heyday. First and foremost drop the price so kids could enjoy then and get them back into the convenience stores with stories that is suitable for all ages.
    They are pandering to adults because that is where their market is. Kids don't read comic books anymore. They kids that did read them, are adults now - some read, a lot don't.

Kids are playing video games, using social media and watching TV.

You are suggesting that an ENTIRE industry simply decided it was best to alienate it's core fan base, resulting in HUGE losses in readers. And you know precisely why that is and how to fix it. Huh.

They are pandering to adults because that is where their market is. Kids don't read comic books anymore. They kids that did read them, are adults now - some read, a lot don't.

Kids are playing video games, using social media and watching TV.

You are suggesting that an ENTIRE industry simply decided it was best to alienate it's core fan base, resulting in HUGE losses in readers. And you know precisely why that is and how to fix it. Huh.
    Actually yes. That is what I am saying. The day comic books became adult oriented material is the day it signed its own death warrant.

Actually yes. That is what I am saying. The day comic books became adult oriented material is the day it signed its own death warrant.
    Why is nobody paying you millions to save an entire idustry?

Why is nobody paying you millions to save an entire idustry?
    Believe me I wish I knew.

I think comic readership has been dying for years for a combination of reasons myself and I'm not sure that catering to children would help to be honest. Kids today have so more merchandise being directed at them and most of it provides far more hours or entertainment than a comic or even a stack of thirty comics at a far more reasonable price then even what I had growing up. parents are far more likely to by jr. that new $59 dollar game that will keep him occupied for hours or to pay a rental fee to Netflix for the same at about $8 dollars than to spend the same amount on comic books that will only occupy him for an hour. Times have changed and kids just aren't interested in comics nowadays it seems. I can count on one hand the number of kids that come into my LCS for example whereas whne I was growing up the LCS was a hangout for kids that were into comics or games.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I think comic readership has been dying for years for a combination of reasons myself and I'm not sure that catering to children would help to be honest. Kids today have so more merchandise being directed at them and most of it provides far more hours or entertainment than a comic or even a stack of thirty comics at a far more reasonable price then even what I had growing up. parents are far more likely to by jr. that new $59 dollar game that will keep him occupied for hours or to pay a rental fee to Netflix for the same at about $8 dollars than to spend the same amount on comic books that will only occupy him for an hour. Times have changed and kids just aren't interested in comics nowadays it seems. I can count on one hand the number of kids that come into my LCS for example.
    They aren't interested because one any responsible parent will not by a mainstream comic for their kids anymore because they have become to violent in nature as well as to sexually oriented. Two, You don't see them in stores anymore where kids go and the fact that the mom and pop candy store is no longer around. Three they are to expensive for kids to buy at $3.99 a pop sometimes more no kid is going is going to buy them even if they do see them. The trick is to go modern. Use these gaming systems and computers to advertise and let parents know that it is safe to buy comics for your children again. Also don't separate them from the main universe. Kids want to read what the adults are reading and putting out a kid friendly book like now is not the answer. You need to make the real universe for all ages.

They aren't interested because one any responsible parent will not by a mainstream comic for their kids anymore because they have become to violent in nature as well as to sexually oriented. Two, You don't see them in stores anymore where kids go and the fact that the mom and pop candy store is no longer around. Three they are to expensive for kids to buy at $3.99 a pop sometimes more no kid is going is going to buy them even if they do see them. The trick is to go modern. Use these gaming systems and computers to advertise and let parents know that it is safe to buy comics for your children again. Also don't separate them from the main universe. Kids want to read what the adults are reading and putting out a kid friendly book like now is not the answer. You need to make the real universe for all ages.
    You do realize that both DC and Marvel have a line for children?

EDIT: I see you do.

But murging the universe is not the answer. I am not going back to early Batman from Snyder's run.