Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Results 166 to 179 of 179
  1. #166
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Exactly. It wasn't until the 1990's that these franchises started to have endings. "Beast Wars" ended with the Maximals winning and taking Megatron back to Cybertron and "Beast Machines" ended with Optimus Primal and Megatron dying, while Cybertron became a techno organic world and all the Cybetronians being restored. Quite different from Generation I where it ended with the Decepticons still out there and Galvatron declaring his intent for future revenge, while Lord Zarak cryptically hinted his intent to overthrow Galvatron. MOTU back in the 80's didn't have a conclusion. Nor did POP. "Thundercats" did not end with the final and lasting defeat of Mumm-Ra and the Ancient Spirits Of Evil. It came close, but not all the way.



    No, you're twisting the facts to suit your argument. No one is ignoring anything. Point in fact, a lot of people did not know that there was a new cartoon in the very late 80's. I sure as hell didn't and I was still collecting figures from that time period. Just like I didn't know that there were two more seasons of "Thundercats" where Thundera was restored and all their enemies were seemingly vanquished at first and then came back over time. I'm not saying that the show didn't happen, nor that there wasn't an ending. But what is being said is that without the knowledge of the spinoff series, as far as the original show was concerned, that was it. It ended in 1984 and the characters moved over to She-Ra's show for two more years and neither show as given an ending. Mattel was going to launch a new series set in the past and may or may not have featured guest spots from the previous two toylines. It didn't happen and TNA happened instead. But while the show was on the air, not everyone knew about it. Much less how it ended. Not originally. Later on, yes. But as far as I and many other kids in the late 80's that had grown up with MOTU, they were unaware. Just like we were unaware of what happened in Japan with TF. We all learned about it later.
    Who's twisting things here? You did said that He-Man was left without ending. Give me a break. How's it possible not to know about these events....NOW with the Internet providing every info you need? Even children that were born in the 90's know all about He-Man's series and Thundercats.
    Last edited by Minerboh; 08-05-2012 at 11:22 PM.

  2. #167
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That was a different show, it wasn't Masters of the Universe.

    MotU had 130 episodes and when it ended there was no conclusion, which was perfectly normal for cartoons from that era. The fact that a latter cartoon attempted to give that show an ending after the fact as a way of tieing into MotU's continuity is irrelevant, as it was a separate show.
    Not true. The original show was called He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, not just Masters of the Universe. How's that's irrelevant since He-Man was starring in both series?
    Last edited by Minerboh; 08-05-2012 at 11:19 PM.

  3. #168
    Elder Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    mansfield, MA
    Posts
    20,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Not true. The original show was called He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, not just Masters of the Universe. How's that's irrelevant since He-Man was starring in both series?
    It's a different show...I don't see what's hard to understand here. They had different voice casts, different animators, different producers, different production companies, different distributors...the only thing the same was that they both featured He-Man, and that's simply not a close enough connection to say that the first episode of the New Adventures was a conclusion to the original series.

    Can it act as a conclusion? Sure, as a fan you can see that as the conclusion to the original series. But the fact remains that the original show never had a conclusion during it's 130 episode run, it just ended.

  4. #169
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's a different show...I don't see what's hard to understand here. They had different voice casts, different animators, different producers, different production companies, different distributors...the only thing the same was that they both featured He-Man, and that's simply not a close enough connection to say that the first episode of the New Adventures was a conclusion to the original series.

    Can it act as a conclusion? Sure, as a fan you can see that as the conclusion to the original series. But the fact remains that the original show never had a conclusion during it's 130 episode run, it just ended.
    It's not the same show because as i stated before it acts like a sequel, it's that simple. Yes it has a different cast and creative team but that means something? No! If we see it that way then the Hannibal franchise ended with Silence of the Lamps (different director and most of the cast replaced).

  5. #170
    Elder Member Mat001's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Who's twisting things here? You did said that He-Man was left without ending. Give me a break. How's it possible not to know about these events....NOW with the Internet providing every info you need? Even children that were born in the 90's know all about He-Man's series and Thundercats.
    How is it possible? It's called I never sat down to watch "The New Adventures Of He-Man" on Youtube or from a Bit Torrent site. Like I said, I've known about the series since 2002, when the 2002 series started on Cartoon Network and I did research into the franchise and learned of the show. But there was no Youtube ten years ago and I wasn't going to go looking for the show online and risk getting infected with a virus or spyware. In recent years, I haven't sat down to watch TNA on Youtube because I don't have a desire to at present. Right now, I have had a desire to watch "Transformers: Super God Masterforce", which is what I did the last few months on Youtube and finished the series the previous Saturday. Having liked it, I plan to purchase it. When I'm in the mood to watch TNA, I will sit down and do so.

    If you're asking back then, it's simple, it wasn't advertised on the channels that I had on the cable provider where I grew up. I was able to watch MOTU when USA Network was showing the repeats as part of Cartoon Express and when they had "Secret Of The Sword" on. But that's that. I saw the commercial advertising the new figures and saw said figures in stores. I never once knew that the show was on the air. I certainly didn't see it in the afternoons when I would turn my television on and sought out something to watch.

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian
    Can it act as a conclusion? Sure, as a fan you can see that as the conclusion to the original series. But the fact remains that the original show never had a conclusion during it's 130 episode run, it just ended.
    Exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh
    It's not the same show because as i stated before it acts like a sequel, it's that simple. Yes it has a different cast and creative team but that means something? No! If we see it that way then the Hannibal franchise ended with Silence of the Lamps (different director and most of the cast replaced).
    Yes, but as we've maintained, the original show itself did not have an ending. When it ended in 1984, it was over. Mattel had no intention of funding two shows. They did sign off on guest appearances, but even then, it was still not over. TNA did come about in 89, yes. But that's also close to the 1990's and didn't it end in 90? And it is not my fault that I never watched the new series. Nor is it my fault that I don't know much about it other than a few bits and pieces.

  6. #171
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    How is it possible? It's called I never sat down to watch "The New Adventures Of He-Man" on Youtube or from a Bit Torrent site. Like I said, I've known about the series since 2002, when the 2002 series started on Cartoon Network and I did research into the franchise and learned of the show. But there was no Youtube ten years ago and I wasn't going to go looking for the show online and risk getting infected with a virus or spyware. In recent years, I haven't sat down to watch TNA on Youtube because I don't have a desire to at present. Right now, I have had a desire to watch "Transformers: Super God Masterforce", which is what I did the last few months on Youtube and finished the series the previous Saturday. Having liked it, I plan to purchase it. When I'm in the mood to watch TNA, I will sit down and do so.

    If you're asking back then, it's simple, it wasn't advertised on the channels that I had on the cable provider where I grew up. I was able to watch MOTU when USA Network was showing the repeats as part of Cartoon Express and when they had "Secret Of The Sword" on. But that's that. I saw the commercial advertising the new figures and saw said figures in stores. I never once knew that the show was on the air. I certainly didn't see it in the afternoons when I would turn my television on and sought out something to watch.



    Exactly.



    Yes, but as we've maintained, the original show itself did not have an ending. When it ended in 1984, it was over. Mattel had no intention of funding two shows. They did sign off on guest appearances, but even then, it was still not over. TNA did come about in 89, yes. But that's also close to the 1990's and didn't it end in 90? And it is not my fault that I never watched the new series. Nor is it my fault that I don't know much about it other than a few bits and pieces.
    No one said it is your fault that you do not know it. What bugs me is the fact that you try to persuade me that He-Man's story was left open just because you have never watched the sequel series. I ever said that that the original had an ending, i said that He-Man's story had an ending and whatever you like it or not He-Man and the Masters of the Universe plus The New Adventures of He-Man are chronicles of He-Man.
    Last edited by Minerboh; 08-07-2012 at 01:29 AM.

  7. #172
    Elder Member Mat001's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    No one said it is your fault that you do not know it. What bugs me is the fact that you try to persuade me that He-Man's story was left open just because you have never watched the sequel series. I ever said that that the original had an ending, i said that He-Man's story had an ending and whatever you like it or not He-Man and the Masters of the Universe plus The New Adventures of He-Man are chronicles of He-Man.
    See, this is why I said you jumped to the wrong conclusion. That's your fault, not mine. I wasn't trying to persuade you of anything. You went off half cocked because I was misinformed of something and you took it as a giant "fuck you" to a show that I had not seen. I said I did not see that show. I never said that it didn't exist. And technically, what I said about MOTU not having an ending is true. The show itself made by Filmation was not given an ending. There is no disputing that. Yes, a sequel series was created five years later. What you are doing is lumping the two series together. I'm taking the original cartoon by itself. Not because I dislike TNA since I never even watched the damn thing. I'm taking it by itself because as a show it had no resolution, which is typical of 80's cartoons. Do you or do you not admit that before TNA, there was no resolution to the storyline, before 1989? Yes or no? It's a simple question.

    Here's an analogy. I know about the Kennedy assassination. I know the stories that were told about it. But I never saw the whole thing. I don't know if Oswald pulled the trigger or was the patsy. I don't know if there was a second shooter or a car backfiring. I didn't see it. That doesn't mean that none of that didn't happen, because obviously it did. All that means is that I'm going off what knowledge I have of the situation. That is what I did when I said that I had not seen the ending to TNA.
    Last edited by Mat001; 08-07-2012 at 12:49 PM.

  8. #173
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    See, this is why I said you jumped to the wrong conclusion. That's your fault, not mine. I wasn't trying to persuade you of anything. You went off half cocked because I was misinformed of something and you took it as a giant "fuck you" to a show that I had not seen. I said I did not see that show. I never said that it didn't exist. And technically, what I said about MOTU not having an ending is true. The show itself made by Filmation was not given an ending. There is no disputing that. Yes, a sequel series was created five years later. What you are doing is lumping the two series together. I'm taking the original cartoon by itself. Not because I dislike TNA since I never even watched the damn thing. I'm taking it by itself because as a show it had no resolution, which is typical of 80's cartoons. Do you or do you not admit that before TNA, there was no resolution to the storyline, before 1989? Yes or no? It's a simple question.

    Here's an analogy. I know about the Kennedy assassination. I know the stories that were told about it. But I never saw the whole thing. I don't know if Oswald pulled the trigger or was the patsy. I don't know if there was a second shooter or a car backfiring. I didn't see it. That doesn't mean that none of that didn't happen, because obviously it did. All that means is that I'm going off what knowledge I have of the situation. That is what I did when I said that I had not seen the ending to TNA.
    I already answered your question in my previous post but....i will repeat it again.... He-Man's story (as a character et al) DID HAD AN ENDING, the original show was left opened meaning all the plots of of the show excluding He-Man and Skeletor were left opened. But He-Man had an ending He revealed his identity to his parents, he change his scenery, he met new people, he fought Skeletor, he defeated him, he exiled him into deep space in a shuddle.

  9. #174
    Elder Member Mat001's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,997

    Default

    Again, you still miss it. Take away "The New Adventures Of He-Man" for just one second. Okay? Pretend it didn't exist. Now, did "He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe" have an ending? No, it did not. It, like every other 80's cartoon did not have an ending. Sure, "The New Adventures Of He-Man" did come along later on and aired in 1990-91 and had an ending, which was the result of the show being a 90's product. The other show, the first show, didn't have an ending like all 80's cartoons before it. This was my point all along.

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian
    The original MotU cartoon didn't have a conclusion, it just ended abruptly after The Cold Zone with no plot elements resolved other than those introduced in the final story. No final battle with Skelitor, no sense of lasting peace for Eternia and no revelation that He-Man was Prince Adam to his parents. No Happily ever after.

    The fact than another series came along later and sort of, kind of tied itself into that continuity and attempted to hit those plot points doesn't mean that the original cartoon had a satisfying conclusion, it just means that the new show wanted to use the old one as a stepping stone.
    It's funny that he gets it and you don't.
    Last edited by Mat001; 08-08-2012 at 01:43 PM.

  10. #175
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    croatia
    Posts
    145

    Default

    sure they can reclaim it. it doen+teven reinvent the wheel. imho the 2000 series did one thing amazingly well and that is make adam a kid. there is something awesome about that. its the same reson why captain marvel is such a great superhero when done well. its the ultimate dream come true for a kid. and then there is a fantastic world filled with awesomeness.

    same goes for shera. you take the same aproach of a kid, add som e attitude of , for instance , legend of korra instead of pandering to the basest stereotypes, some good humor, and you have a great series. you dont even have to reach too far with design updates

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	for_the_honor_of_graaaaaawwww_crap__by_nebezial-d55zdjt.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	105726

    it's not rocket science....its magic! XD

  11. #176
    14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Somewhere In....AMERICA!
    Posts
    50,349

    Default

    Dear lord I watched that final episode of New Adventures of He-Man...and its absolute shit. Shit music , shit voice actors who aren't the same. Shit animation and resolution. The Skeletor of the 80's would whip his 90's version.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

    Sucks 200 character limit.

  12. #177
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Dear lord I watched that final episode of New Adventures of He-Man...and its absolute shit. Shit music , shit voice actors who aren't the same. Shit animation and resolution. The Skeletor of the 80's would whip his 90's version.
    Oh I agree. If theres anything the 80's have over the 90's version it's the voice acting and the soundtrack. Still though, Live Action Skeletor > 80's Skeletor
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  13. #178
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nebezial View Post
    sure they can reclaim it. it doen+teven reinvent the wheel. imho the 2000 series did one thing amazingly well and that is make adam a kid. there is something awesome about that. its the same reson why captain marvel is such a great superhero when done well. its the ultimate dream come true for a kid. and then there is a fantastic world filled with awesomeness.

    same goes for shera. you take the same aproach of a kid, add som e attitude of , for instance , legend of korra instead of pandering to the basest stereotypes, some good humor, and you have a great series. you dont even have to reach too far with design updates

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	for_the_honor_of_graaaaaawwww_crap__by_nebezial-d55zdjt.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	105726

    it's not rocket science....its magic! XD
    I have noticed some similarities between He-Man/She-ra and Captain/Mary Marvel.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  14. #179
    Elder Member Mat001's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,997

    Default

    What's more, Mattel and the writers of both the show and the mini comics were going for a "Star Wars" vibe. Had "The Power Of Grayskull" not been canceled, it would be even more obvious.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •