Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RolandJP View Post
    Did anyone get upset with the TV show BATTLESTAR GALACTICA..when BOOMER was changed into an Asian woman? Colonel Ti from a black man with an Uncle Ben's fro to an old white guy? or ADAMA from an old white guy to a old Latin Guy.

NO...NOT REALLY.
    Actually, those things didn't bother me much, but I was pretty much turned off from following the whole show when I saw that they turned my favorite character, STARBUCK, into a chick.

Kids today are more sophisticated..then we were...
    Right. Good one. And they are sooooooo much more selective in their choices of entertainment then we were. Massive marketing NEVER influences THIER choices.

Twilight, anyone?

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 06-02-2012 at 06:24 AM.

On the topic, I'd much rather the real Nick Fury permenantly (or as much as permenant means in comics) desguise himself as a black man, such as Abe Jenkins did in the old Thunderbolts series, to reestablishe his credibility and get out of his wanted man status. Of course, a whole bunch of other people would find that as insuting and offensive as the whole unknown black son plummeled into Nick Fury's place scenario.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by hysang View Post
    Haters gonna hate. Who cares? The same people probably complained when Kyle Rayner replaced Hal Jordan, and sent death threats to Ron Marz (that actually happened).
    But did they make Kyle look like Hal Jordan and then change his name to Hal Jordan? All to match a movie that used the version of the character they liked more. Everything about what Marvel did was stupid.
    Last edited by turtlefood; 06-02-2012 at 06:06 AM.
    Currently recommending: Daredevil, Mudman ( it's back!), Hawkguy, and FF. Can't miss!

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post
    I dislike how they did it. As others have said, it's just lazy writing and a stupid story to introduce a character that didn't really need to exist as the movies aren't based in the same world as the comics are.

I'd prefer they left Samuel L Fury in the Ultimate universe, but they haven't, so I will put up and shut up because it isn't a big enough deal for me to drop books over or whatever, especially seen as 616 Nick Fury is still around, so in a sense, it's the best of both worlds.
    He was classic Fury in the main u, and sam jackson fury in the ultimate u. People who wanted the "best of both worlds" could easily have read, you know, both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlefood View Post
    But did they make Kyle look like Hal Jordan and then change his name to Hal Jordan? All to match a movie that used the version of the character they liked more. Everything about what Marvel did was stupid.
    Well, yes, actually.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200px-RaynerSTAS.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	94371

Quote Originally Posted by turtlefood View Post
    Um, it sounds like Nick Fury Jr is a bad idea. Now if DC replaced Hal Jordan with his son who looks exactly like Ryan Reynolds that would be awesome. Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sewersaint View Post
    Um, it sounds like Nick Fury Jr is a bad idea. Now if DC replaced Hal Jordan with his son who looks exactly like Ryan Reynolds that would be awesome. Or not.
    I don't know. If I had a son hanging around that no one ever herad of, I'd rather he looked like Denzel Washington than Samuel L. Jackson (doesn't Fury find that at all suspicious?).

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Actually, those things didn't bother me much, but I was pretty much turned off from following the whole show when I saw that they turned my favorite character, STARBUCK, into a chick.
    And yet, you didnt feel the need to start a blog or thread going on about it. Specifically Black characters turned into different races.

Which was my point.

Right. Good one. And they are sooooooo much more selective in their choices of entertainment then we were. Massive marketing NEVER influences THIER choices.

Twilight, anyone?

Peace
    Yes they are more selective. Hence why you dont see Disney doing a lot of traditional Animation its mostly CG. The video games are vastly different.

Comic Fans holding on to Tradition is ridiculous!

Imagine Peter Parker still in Bell Bottoms, or Iron Man in h is Grey TUBBO Armor. He has a goat tee and acts nothing like 90's Stark.

The only thing Marvel did was give Nick a son. No one cried when Bucky Took over CAP. RED HULK. Wolverine's SOn DAKEN --who weirdly enough has claws too.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    But how did you feel after you saw her in the show, her actress in action, and what role she played in the narrative?

Twilight, anyone?

Peace
    "More sophisticated" might be too complementary of a term. I'm sure kids will be following stupid, nonsensical properties that baffle and befuddle the older generation and wondering what kids see in them. Like kids and Bakugan. Or before that, Yu-Gi-Oh. Or before that, Pokemon. Or before that, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. Or before that, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

But you get the idea.

HOWEVER, I think that kids are more aware of the narrative elements that seep into pop culture due to osmosis. Kids might not be as wowed with the original Star Wars films, because Star Wars had such an impact on pop culture that practically every show presented to kids stole ideas and concepts from the films. Kids had already SEEN Star Wars, without ever having seeing it for themselves, if you get where I'm coming from.

So I guess kids today might not be more "sophisticated." They're just more aware of what came before, whether they realize it or not.

If Marvel spent more time developing the characters they already have instead of creating new ones, then we wouldn't have to go through all this. They have enough diverse characters around that they don't really need to do something like this. Does it offend me? Not at all. I just hate to see them ignore the characters they already have. ANd what plans do they have for the new Nick? Does he fade away into the backgraound after all is said and done? Will he have the same impact as the first Fury?
    We Want You! Join Us At CBR:Age of Marvels!

CBB. We March Thru Your Thread With A Million MoFos.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marvell2100 View Post
    If Marvel spent more time developing the characters they already have instead of creating new ones, then we wouldn't have to go through all this. They have enough diverse characters around that they don't really need to do something like this. Does it offend me? Not at all. I just hate to see them ignore the characters they already have. ANd what plans do they have for the new Nick? Does he fade away into the backgraound after all is said and done? Will he have the same impact as the first Fury?
    Well, keep in mind, if Marvel had that attitude, we'd never have gotten Wolverine or any of the new X-Men over the years.

I don't mind them developing characters. I don't mind them developing a more diverse lineup in terms of ethnicity.

I just don't like creative laziness. Nick Fury Jr. seems like a lazy creation- "HEY, Nick Fury looks like Sam Jackson in the films. WE NEED A SAM JACKSON NICK FURY IN THE MAINSTREAM MARVEL U.!!!"

I mean, it's a really evident cash grab. And that what makes it- quite frankly- pathetic. It reeks of desperation.

Quote Originally Posted by RDMacQ View Post

So I guess kids today might not be more "sophisticated." They're just more aware of what came before, whether they realize it or not.
    Hmm I tell you what Ill give an I-pod, I-phone, I-pad and a computer to you at age 8..and test you against an 8 year old now.

Also I will bring up Gay Marriage, Economic decline, and Terrorism ( Of the Osama Bin Laden kind)

And we will see who is more sophisticated, LOL
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

BANNED

Hmm I tell you what Ill give an I-pod, I-phone, I-pad and a computer to you at age 8..and test you against an 8 year old now.

Also I will bring up Gay Marriage, Economic decline, and Osama Bin Laden

Did you miss the point where I was talking about pop culture?

Also, I wouldn't count out 8 year olds when it comes to the computers. I had a guy come into my work the other day, talking about how he just sent off the first email of his life just the other day. Meanwhile, his 9 year old daughter is sending out emails like crazy and knows more about the computer than he ever does.

Something new comes along to an older generation, it's an invasion. Because we remember when it wasn't there. But for kids, it just is because they don't remember when it wasn't. It's just a part of their lives.

Yes they are more selective. Hence why you dont see Disney doing a lot of traditional Animation its mostly CG. The video games are vastly different.

Comic Fans holding on to Tradition is ridiculous!

Imagine Peter Parker still in Bell Bottoms, or Iron Man in h is Grey TUBBO Armor. He has a goat tee and acts nothing like 90's Stark.
    You're talking about advances in technology and in fashion. Of course you need to update your content. But, pardon me for asking, what does this have to do with sofistication and with believing that throwing out a character that was a platoon commander in WWII, CIA operative during the Cold War, and, for years, head of the world's greatest covert agency, and many times proven to be the only man fit for the job, to replace him for a son that nobody ever heard of, and who surely doesn't have the same intresting background and experiance, just so he can look like an actor who pleyed him in a movie (an actor that, in all likely, will only play him for more three films, when his deal ends)? If they put jackie Chan to play him next, will allien abduction and replacement or full body cosmetic surgery be the next brilliant move? Are today's kids more sophisticated or selective for thinking these are good ideas?

The only thing Marvel did was give Nick a son. No one cried when Bucky Took over CAP. RED HULK. Wolverine's SOn DAKEN --who weirdly enough has claws too.
    Seriously??? Where have you been?

Peace

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

Also I will bring up Gay Marriage, Economic decline, and Terrorism ( Of the Osama Bin Laden kind)

The things that children are exposed to have nothing to do with their innate intelligence or sophistication. The true test is which child could build their own, not just use one.
    There are many kids today that go through school knowing nothing about history that didn't occur in the lifetime and could not care less about it. Give some of them a geography test and see how that goes.

Previous generations knew how to exist on their own and live off the land. This generation drives to McDonalds and has fries and burgers.
    For example one of the biggest changes that resulted out of the Great Depression is the the US became primarily a nation of city dwellers as opposed to those who were living in agricultural based communities.

Speaking of the Depression, the "economic decline" you mentioned is a walk in the park compared to that. There was no medicaid, welfare, social security, etc. There were people begging from door to door or standing in soup lines. Men living in camps along the railroad lines trying to find work. As a kid my dad saw them all the time in the old neighborhood. One day he walked by it and one of them had hung himself from a tree.
    My aunt went to the tracks to gather coal that dropped off the train's coal cars to take them home to help provide heat. Economic decline. You made me laugh with that one.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-02-2012 at 09:49 AM.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."