Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Check out Marvel Knights Spider-Man #1-12.
    It's a really fun read. Great art too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    First of all, I couldn't agree more about the old newsprint style of comics. New books are just not the same. However that doesn't mean there aren't some terrific stories. Some recommendations. Since you've said that you stop at 1990, I'll start my suggestions from there. I'll probably leave out some great stories, but this is off the top of my head (and in no particular order).

Untold Tales of Spider-Man - The whole series. It's something like 25 issues and it is wonderful!
    Sensational Spider-Man Volume 2 Annual - Beautiful story about Pete and MJ
    Spider-Man: Blue - Four issue mini about Pete and Gwen
    The entire JMS run (ASM volume 2 # 30-545) - It has its ups and downs, but is mostly a brilliant run
    One More Day - Love it or hate, it is an impacting story and worth checking out for yourself
    Invasion of the Spider-Slayers (ASM # 368-373) - Good fun
    Spectacular Spider-Man # 178-200 - The Child Within, Funeral Arrangements, and the Harry Osborn/Green Goblin arc
    Carnage (ASM # 361-363) - Very cool story, and still the best Carnage story
    Spider-Man: Tangled Web - The whole series
    Spider-Man: Get Kraven - No! Wait! Not this one! It's terrible!
    Unscheduled Stop (ASM # 578-579) - Dynamite!
    Hobgoblin Lives! - A three issue mini with an exclamation point in its title. It's that cool.
    Civil War - Not a specifically Spider-Man story, but he plays an important part in it and it is worth a read.
    Marvels - Again, not 100% Spidey, but he does play a big part in the end. And it is DEFINITELY worth a read. Brilliant story.
    No One Dies (ASM # 655-656) - Awesome story, awesome artwork
    Peter Parker, Spider-Man Volume 2 - The series goes for about 60 issues, but it is a very good run by Howard Mackie and Paul Jenkins that you don't hear about a whole lot.
    Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man # 5 - A great done-in-one story about Spidey's impact on a blogger
    Mysterioso (ASM # 618-620) - Great stuff!

I'm sure I could go on and on, but that should get ya started! Happy reading!

Very nice list and agreed 100% (esp about the "Get Kraven" mini being horrendous---how that saw print is beyond me!).
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Very nice list and agreed 100% (esp about the "Get Kraven" mini being horrendous---how that saw print is beyond me!).
    It really is dreadful, isn't it? If Schmitty and Coco had a child together that looked like Patrick, that child would not be as awful as Get Kraven. To ANYONE who says that OMD or Sins Past is the worst Spidey story they have ever read, I say they have never read Get Kraven.

I also thought of a few more that are really worth checking out.

Ultimate Spider-Man - The BEST reimagining of any super hero ever. At least check out the first dozen issues or so.
    Spider-Man: Sweet Charity - A really fun one-shot about Spidey going camping with Jonah. Really. It's waaaay cooler than it sounds.
    Spider-Man: Noir - Either the original or the sequel. Really neat idea.
    Spider-Man: Reign - Dark. Grotesque. Interesting. It took me a few reads to appreciate it.
    Venom: Dark Origin - Venom story, not Spidey. Also it doesn't 100% fit into continuity, but it is still very fun.
    Something Can Stop the Juggernaut (ASM # 627-629) - I didn't really like it, but most people did. If you're into oldschool comics, you may appreciate this sequel.
    Goblins at the Gate (SSM # 259-261) - Hobgoblin and Green Goblin. Yes, it is awesome.
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

It really is dreadful, isn't it? If Schmitty and Coco had a child together that looked like Patrick, that child would not be as awful as Get Kraven. To ANYONE who says that OMD or Sins Past is the worst Spidey story they have ever read, I say they have never read Get Kraven.

Ultimate Spider-Man - The BEST reimagining of any super hero ever. At least check out the first dozen issues or so.
    Spider-Man: Sweet Charity - A really fun one-shot about Spidey going camping with Jonah. Really. It's waaaay cooler than it sounds.
    Spider-Man: Reign - Dark. Grotesque. Interesting. It took me a few reads to appreciate it.
    Venom: Dark Origin - Venom story, not Spidey. Also it doesn't 100% fit into continuity, but it is still very fun.
    Something Can Stop the Juggernaut (ASM # 627-629) - I didn't really like it, but most people did. If you're into oldschool comics, you may appreciate this sequel.
    Goblins at the Gate (SSM # 259-261) - Hobgoblin and Green Goblin. Yes, it is awesome.
    I actually had the chance to pick up Get Kraven the other day for 50 cents an issue and I passed on it, haha. I figured it wasn't even worth $3 to read the whole thing.

680. I loved 680.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I actually had the chance to pick up Get Kraven the other day for 50 cents an issue and I passed on it, haha. I figured it wasn't even worth $3 to read the whole thing.
    Maybe if someone paid you $3.00 to read it. Maybe.

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

Peter David's run on Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man was mostly good, particularly the issues with Mysterio and the Vulture (#11-13, #14-16). I believe both arcs are collected in one trade, too.

Lunatic On The Grass pinkfloydsound17's Avatar
    Dark side of the moon (Ontario, Canada to be exact)

Thanks for the suggestions! I will try to look into as many of these as I can, as I am sure the older books are likely to get beyond my price range at some point. I have the original Carnage books, they are pretty good.

Lunatic On The Grass pinkfloydsound17's Avatar
    Dark side of the moon (Ontario, Canada to be exact)

What's with this Get Kraven lol? Far as I am concerned (by my readings) he died in the beautifully crafted Kraven's Last Hunt storyline and I intend to keep it at that

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfloydsound17 View Post
    What's with this Get Kraven lol? Far as I am concerned (by my readings) he died in the beautifully crafted Kraven's Last Hunt storyline and I intend to keep it at that
    I think it's about his son, although he should have died when Venom opened his stomach.
    Empty winds scrape on the soul never stop to realize/Animal whisperings intoxicate the night
    Hypnotize the desperate slow motionlight/Wash away into the rain
    Blood, milk and sky....

* The first few arcs of the JMS run. These include Morlun, the 911 issue, and Aunt May finding out Peter is Spider-Man (which totally justifies retconning her death.

* Civil War and Back in Black

* Skip Sins Past, One More Day, OMIT. Just make up your own story for how Peter and MJ are no longer married and Peter's identity is back in the bag. Seriously.

* From the BND era, New Ways to Die, Character Assassination (TPB is marketed "Election Day"), and New Ways to Die.

* From the Slott era, Big Time and Ends of the Earth

The OP sounds like a candidate for USM. The best reboot of Spider-Man ever, and its really fun to read.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Any Spider-Man story illustrated by Marcos Martin is a must buy.
    Amazing Spider-Man since Big Time is essential to read as well,since it have a consistently great run of stories by Dan Slott.
    The Gauntlet is well worth to be read as well.
    The first story arc from BND,Sometimes it snow in april and Family Ties are great modern Spider-Man story arcs.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

BANNED

Revenge of the Spider-slayers was great, had great art. (i might be a big biast sense alistair smythe is my fav spiderman villian but still)
    there was this 2 issue arc where spidey, shocker and a subway car full of people where trapped in a colapsed subway tunnel that i remmember being really good

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfloydsound17 View Post
    'Get Kraven' might just be the most laughably awful story ever published in comic book form. The Kraven in question is Al Kraven, the son of the original. And he's an actor!!!! Listen, I will never recommend that anyone NOT read a story. I think everyone should read as much as they can and make up their own minds for what is "good" or "bad". I can say that 'Get Kraven' left an impact on me, so there must be something to be said for it.

But it's not great.