Default Saucer Country #3

I've been a little iffy on this title, but have stuck through 3 issues because
    1) Paul Cornell creating a brand new comic and
    2) Ryan Kelly

I did like this issue more than the first two. I feel Cornell finally gave some justification for writing this book by having the professor explain alien abductions as an American mythology. I kind of like this notion. I can't tell whether this was the end of the first story arc or not, but I'll buy at least one more issue to see.

Fictionaut-in-training warriorfist's Avatar

I also thought that this issue possessed a bit more of a bite than the previous two. Still no idea where the book is supposed to be headed, but with each issue the pieces seem to be more and more in place for the long-term status quo, so I am willing to wait for the pay-off.

BTW, I did a review for this one, if anyone is interested:

http://www.o-r-c.co.uk/component/con...untry-3-review

Season 2 of Blue Estate CTpitch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfist View Post
    I also thought that this issue possessed a bit more of a bite than the previous two. Still no idea where the book is supposed to be headed, but with each issue the pieces seem to be more and more in place for the long-term status quo, so I am willing to wait for the pay-off.

BTW, I did a review for this one, if anyone is interested:

http://www.o-r-c.co.uk/component/con...untry-3-review
    neat review
    I have a fondness to the Aliens being depicted as bunny rabbits
    A Happy supporter of Indie comics and B-list heroes

Check out the Death to Comics Podcast...if you dare

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

after three issues, still no one I care about; not a good sign that I'll continue after the first six issues or so I've preordered. not yet really intrigued by the 'mystery' aspect, but willing to wait a few issues more for SOMETHING I can grasp onto--
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

Born under a wandrin Star Tobias March's Avatar

I could actually see this working well as a television series. The pitch writes itself - The West Wing meets The X-Files.

Bumping rather than starting a new one.

How are people feeling about this after 5? I'll say that I'm more intrigued now than I was an issue or two ago, but I don't know if I'll stick around. I'm pretty sure that now since all of the pieces are in place, everything will start moving a bit quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by tapes View Post
    Bumping rather than starting a new one.

How are people feeling about this after 5? I'll say that I'm more intrigued now than I was an issue or two ago, but I don't know if I'll stick around. I'm pretty sure that now since all of the pieces are in place, everything will start moving a bit quicker.
    I'm reading it. Just reread the arc this morning to refresh myself on what is going on. I'm liking all of this world and conspiracy building going on here. However, I tend to find the dialogue between the characters the best part of this story so far. I'm probably going to stick with this one to the very end. Hopefully it isn't cancelled at some point like Voodoo Child ended up being.

I didn't pick up the lastest issue tis week, I think it was #5 ? So far I have read nothing that would make me want to continue picking up this book. The pace is too slow for my taste and nothing really interesting has happened yet.

It's run out of steam for me and just hasn't grabbed me. The art and colouring are nice, but I think I'm done with this one.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

sorry to be echoing what others have written, but "The pace is too slow for my taste and nothing really interesting has happened yet." (Jack00) and "It's run out of steam for me and just hasn't grabbed me. The art and colouring are nice, but I think I'm done with this one." (Paladin King). #5 is apparently the end of an 'arc'; think I have #6 on pre-order, but will stop there. If enough people rave about the next arc, I'll pick it up in trade and then we'll see. But for now, "Ex Machina" it's not; ho-hum is what it is, for me.
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    sorry to be echoing what others have written, but "The pace is too slow for my taste and nothing really interesting has happened yet." (Jack00) and "It's run out of steam for me and just hasn't grabbed me. The art and colouring are nice, but I think I'm done with this one." (Paladin King). #5 is apparently the end of an 'arc'; think I have #6 on pre-order, but will stop there. If enough people rave about the next arc, I'll pick it up in trade and then we'll see. But for now, "Ex Machina" it's not; ho-hum is what it is, for me.
    I think I have to agree. I really like the idea for this book, but the first arc didn't need to be 5 issues for what actually happened. I understand the need for mystery, but this first story was all anticlimax for the "abduction," which takes place before the book. I'm hesitant to drop the book before the 2nd arc, because I did that for DMZ and Y and later regretted it (filling out missed issues with tpbs), but this book needs to find a tighter focus.

Same, I too am loath to drop it before I at least see the start of the second arc because, like I said above, everything is in place now for the series to really get moving and do something interesting.

Maybe it is because people kept comparing it to television, but times like this make me wish that the comics industry worked the same way as the TV industry with the sending out early screeners to critics. It would make this so much easier having someone on the other side saying "Yeah, this entire thing pays off. Stick with it."