Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Myxyzptlyk: Big villain of action comics?

throughout the series so far there have been hints at a huge menace pulling the strings in the story this menace is a apparently all-powerful midget who looks like a sleazy hollywood-style business man, in all likelihood this is probably myxyzptlyk the imp from the fifth dimension who has apparently gone from being a mere pest and even sometimes ally of the man of steel to his greatest foe why is he targeting superman (or should I say supermen if you've read the latest issue of action comics) what is his plan and how can superman possibly defeat a foe with the powers of god feel free to input

Quote Originally Posted by comicstvcomputer View Post
    throughout the series so far there have been hints at a huge menace pulling the strings in the story this menace is a apparently all-powerful midget who looks like a sleazy hollywood-style business man, in all likelihood this is probably myxyzptlyk the imp from the fifth dimension who has apparently gone from being a mere pest and even sometimes ally of the man of steel to his greatest foe why is he targeting superman (or should I say supermen if you've read the latest issue of action comics) what is his plan and how can superman possibly defeat a foe with the powers of god feel free to input
    Sorry I can't answer since I stopped getting new comics when this current reboot started in September. I'd like the idea since I don't know of Mr. Myxyzptlyk showing up since he got away from Superboy Prime in Countdown, DC could blame this whole reboot on him just have him say his name backwards and we could go back to the old continuity and Superman could get his real costume back.

Infâme et fier de l'ętre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silveragesupermanfan View Post
    Sorry I can't answer since I stopped getting new comics when this current reboot started in September. I'd like the idea since I don't know of Mr. Myxyzptlyk showing up since he got away from Superboy Prime in Countdown, DC could blame this whole reboot on him just have him say his name backwards and we could go back to the old continuity and Superman could get his real costume back.
    .....Why would they do that?
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Quote Originally Posted by silveragesupermanfan View Post
    If you can't offer an answer why did you bother to post? Just to complain? There's already a classic Superman lovefest thread you could have done that in.

If the mysterious teetotaler is indeed Myxyzptlyk (which seems highly likely at this point), it definitely fits with Morrison's motif of an apparently all-powerful entitity pulling the strings and bridging all of the varying storylines together. In his Batman run it was Simon Hurt, in the DC One Million event, it was Solaris. Superman's entity being Myxyzptlyk is not only fitting, but probably the most impactful thing Myxy's done to Superman in years. As far as what his plan is, it seems too early to tell. Let's look at what he's accomplished thus far: making Glennmorgan go nuts, telling Superman about his ghost dog to mess with his head, auctioning Kryptonite to the Anti-Superman Army, hiring The Hunter to go after Superman, and having a hand in creating Superdoom. Not an easy pattern to identify beyond "he's screwing with him", but I'm getting the same feeling I did a couple arcs into Morrison's Batman run, where all the pieces are in front of us but it's about looking at it from the right perspective.

Infâme et fier de l'ętre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Butler View Post
    If you can't offer an answer why did you bother to post? Just to complain? There's already a classic Superman lovefest thread you could have done that in.

If the mysterious teetotaler is indeed Myxyzptlyk (which seems highly likely at this point), it definitely fits with Morrison's motif of an apparently all-powerful entitity pulling the strings and bridging all of the varying storylines together. In his Batman run it was Simon Hurt, in the DC One Million event, it was Solaris. Superman's entity being Myxyzptlyk is not only fitting, but probably the most impactful thing Myxy's done to Superman in years. As far as what his plan is, it seems too early to tell. Let's look at what he's accomplished thus far: making Glennmorgan go nuts, telling Superman about his ghost dog to mess with his head, auctioning Kryptonite to the Anti-Superman Army, hiring The Hunter to go after Superman, and having a hand in creating Superdoom. Not an easy pattern to identify beyond "he's screwing with him", but I'm getting the same feeling I did a couple arcs into Morrison's Batman run, where all the pieces are in front of us but it's about looking at it from the right perspective.
    Well, hiring the Hunter, giving Kryptonite to Superman ennemies, and creating a perversed version of Superman isn't that hard to make a sense. The first two are about hurting/killing him, while the last one is about creating an opposite of everything he stands for while also being a physical threat to him. The weird ones are Glenmorgan and the white dog thing. Glenmorgan could be handwawed as him testing Superman (or maybe, like the Mxy from STAS, he played with human beings before and Glenmorgan is just the last one on his list). As for the white dog.....Honestly, he seems to be observing Superman and he probably did that for laughs.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

I still want it to be CW Saturn.

I think the Little Man being Mxy is highly likely at this point as well. I thought he was from the beginning and nothing has dissuaded me since. If anything I've become more convinced. It'd end up being a pretty big homage to Moore's Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow? as well, considered Mxy was revealed as the secret force behind all those happenings as well.

People were guessing Mxyzptlyk right from the first issue, so it would be kind of a let down if it were really him after stretching the mystery on so long. And the little man doesn't seem all that powerful- he had his assistant do all the work in Superman's head, and had to run from three Legionnaires.

The premise seems to be based on notes Morrison had for a spin-off of All-Star Superman set during Superman's early days which was to be called "Superman vs. Satan". No clue if it's Mxyzptlk or not, but the little guy certainly exhibits powers similar to 5th Dimensional magical djinn and imps and the like. Secret magic words, near-infinite power and time-travel or omni-presence in the timestream.

There's also a lot of "Q" in him.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

a nasty piece of work Let's Kill Hitler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think the Little Man being Mxy is highly likely at this point as well. I thought he was from the beginning and nothing has dissuaded me since. If anything I've become more convinced. It'd end up being a pretty big homage to Moore's Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow? as well, considered Mxy was revealed as the secret force behind all those happenings as well.
    He could be a continuation of the idea from WHttMoT, that Mxy changes his personality out of boredom. This could be the same character with no reboot, I could imagine 5th dimensional Imps would be unaffected by it. He already knows Superman and is manipulating him as a corrupt buisness man rather that as mischievous imp. It all ties back into Superman being a champion of the oppressed.

Or something else, it's impossible to guess Morrison. Maybe he's a demon from the 5th dimension rather than a Imp.

At this point I think the Little man could be Mr. Mxy due to many hints trough AC, but I want him to be CW Saturn.

Junior Member NapoleonBlownapart's Avatar

Morrison loves to take really quirky ideas and play them completely seriously (see President Superman, most of Batman Inc) and Mxy is undoubtedly one of the quirkiest characters in DC, so I'd say that there's nobody else this could possibly be.

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Kill Hitler View Post
    He could be a continuation of the idea from WHttMoT, that Mxy changes his personality out of boredom. This could be the same character with no reboot, I could imagine 5th dimensional Imps would be unaffected by it. He already knows Superman and is manipulating him as a corrupt buisness man rather that as mischievous imp. It all ties back into Superman being a champion of the oppressed.

Or something else, it's impossible to guess Morrison. Maybe he's a demon from the 5th dimension rather than a Imp.
    He's not specifically posing as a businessman though. He's popping up all over the place in a variety of positions. He was a businessman in the first issue, but then he showed up as a scientist when Superman was being electrocuted by Lex, and then again as a homeless person who spoke to Clark about Krypto.
    Last edited by Last Son; 05-29-2012 at 06:29 AM.

BANNED

even more mysterious is this apparently in the dcnu kal-el isn't the first superman so who was then

Quote Originally Posted by comicstvcomputer View Post
    even more mysterious is this apparently in the dcnu kal-el isn't the first superman so who was then
    Apparently the Earth's first Superman was or is, as some have been theorizing (myself included), some version of Bill Dunn, the guy that becomes a super-man in the original story "The Reign of the Superman" by Jerry Sieguel and Joe Shuster.