Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeccaBlast View Post
    I'm so tempted to buy Silk Spectre because of her involvement, which is probably what DC is hoping.
    That's a tough one. Do I get it for Conner's art? Or to spite Alan Moore? Both of those are good reasons; but on the other hand I don't want to do anything that will confirm the significance or legitimacy of Watchmen, either; that's where the dream died.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    That's a tough one. Do I get it for Conner's art? Or to spite Alan Moore? Both of those are good reasons; but on the other hand I don't want to do anything that will confirm the significance or legitimacy of Watchmen, either; that's where the dream died.
    It's not tough for me, I must have read my Watchmen trade 7 times since I bought it. Silk Spectre by Amanda Conner is a no brainer. I'm all over that, I may even buy Azzarello's Comedian stuff because I liked the Watchmen that much. It may be fun to see him in his wheelhouse and writing a character that fits his style.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    I <3 the skimpy outfits.

I <3 the violence!

I <3 Amanda Conner.

! <3 Palmiotti and Gray.

I <3 ridiculous 6-foot 2-handed broadswords being swung with 1 hand.

I <3 Diana's minotaur buddies that she's not supposed to hang out with!

I <3 the cats!

I <3 bikinis on the White House lawn.

I <3 Ame-Comi Wonder Woman.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    It's definitely the second coming of Power Girl, which I really liked. This type of fun is mostly missing in the New 52 so I'm really happy DC is doing this. As I said (in this thread or maybe elsewhere, can't remember), I don't even really care for Wonder Woman so I'm much more interested in the future chapters.
    A little off-topic, but the whole "there's no fun in the New 52!" thing really bothers me. Let's look at things, shall we:

Action Comics
    Justice League
    OMAC
    The Flash
    Aquaman
    Green Lantern
    Teen Titans
    Batman Incorporated
    Worlds' Finest
    The Ray

And that's just the stuff that has consistently had the more funner, super-hero air to them, and not counting books like Batman, where it started out with such. You don't need to have Conner's cartoony style to make a book "fun." If you don't like a book, that's fine, but I think calling books "grim" and "gritty" has pretty much lost all meaning and is now a catch all for "something I don't like."

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    Dshipp17, thanks for trying to help. For some reason, it's working now when it wasn't earlier.
    I've noticed that Comixology can be a little buggy sometimes, not loading right after reading a few comics. It usually gets handled after an hour or so, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce-wayne View Post
    Like the Amazons, if they are really warriors and fierce soldiers, I want to see that. They just seemed stupid, so easily defeated, for all their big mouths they didnt put up much of a fight. Then what's the point of making them warriors, if they're so sucky at their only specialty.
    How were they sucky at all? Looking closely at it, outside of the grenade sequence, the Amazons were probably dispatching more of the soldiers than the other way around.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnghtJared View Post
    A little off-topic, but the whole "there's no fun in the New 52!" thing really bothers me. Let's look at things, shall we:

Action Comics
    Justice League
    OMAC
    The Flash
    Aquaman
    Green Lantern
    Teen Titans
    Batman Incorporated
    Worlds' Finest
    The Ray

And that's just the stuff that has consistently had the more funner, super-hero air to them, and not counting books like Batman, where it started out with such. You don't need to have Conner's cartoony style to make a book "fun." If you don't like a book, that's fine, but I think calling books "grim" and "gritty" has pretty much lost all meaning and is now a catch all for "something I don't like."
    I don't read anything on your list but Aquaman and World's Finest and Power Girl's new costume is not much fun. In the post above yours I lauded the Watchmen so it's not like I have a problem with grim and gritty, I just think it goes better with some characters more than others and Wonder Woman isn't one of them.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Impact View Post
    I don't read anything on your list but Aquaman and World's Finest and Power Girl's new costume is not much fun. In the post above yours I lauded the Watchmen so it's not like I have a problem with grim and gritty, I just think it goes better with some characters more than others and Wonder Woman isn't one of them.
    Aquaman strikes me as almost completely serious minded and bumps against the limits of my tolerance for gore from time to time, but it is pretty well written and paced superheroics, and Reis's art is also an attraction.

It's only a matter of time before the real PG costume returns, though.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnghtJared View Post
    Agreed.

Action Comics
    Justice League
    OMAC
    The Flash
    Aquaman
    Green Lantern
    Teen Titans
    Batman Incorporated
    Worlds' Finest
    The Ray

I wouldnt call Teen Titans, featuring a death camp for teenagers when they aren't experimented on a barrel of laughs. There a glimpses of fun in the books you mention, but it is not part of the overall tone.

Ame-Comi Wonder Woman is pretty amazingly good. Loaded with personality, Amanda Conner toes the line between it being sexy (hey, there's really nothing wrong with sexy) and being kind of ... quirky. Like somehow in this particular universe of characters it's only natural Amazons spar with minotaurs in garb skimpier than bathing gear.

Morrison often cites the loss of kink as the killer for interest in Wonder Woman stories, and I know where he's coming from although I'm as curious as anyone to see if he can actually do something workable with that, but I think just by accidental or incidental nature, this Ame-Comi world automatically gives that back to Wonder Woman.

In fact, I'm surprised I never really noticed a correlation of style between Marston's WW stories and various racy Anime shows. Wonder Woman would be a pretty insanely good Anime if it balanced offbeat sexy day lives ("Oh, Steve Trevor, your concepts of modesty confound me ... you work hard to mold your body into that of a brave soldier, but you lack the courage to display it?") with like, Evangelion level destruction and monster battle.

Kind of a match made in heaven. Also, Ame-Comi WW has a better logo. Dear DC, adopt that as the standard.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Retro315 View Post
    Ame-Comi Wonder Woman is pretty amazingly good. Loaded with personality, Amanda Conner toes the line between it being sexy (hey, there's really nothing wrong with sexy) and being kind of ... quirky. Like somehow in this particular universe of characters it's only natural Amazons spar with minotaurs in garb skimpier than bathing gear.

Morrison often cites the loss of kink as the killer for interest in Wonder Woman stories, and I know where he's coming from although I'm as curious as anyone to see if he can actually do something workable with that, but I think just by accidental or incidental nature, this Ame-Comi world automatically gives that back to Wonder Woman.

In fact, I'm surprised I never really noticed a correlation of style between Marston's WW stories and various racy Anime shows. Wonder Woman would be a pretty insanely good Anime if it balanced offbeat sexy day lives ("Oh, Steve Trevor, your concepts of modesty confound me ... you work hard to mold your body into that of a brave soldier, but you lack the courage to display it?") with like, Evangelion level destruction and monster battle.

Kind of a match made in heaven. Also, Ame-Comi WW has a better logo. Dear DC, adopt that as the standard.
    ^ There it is in a nutshell, that's one of the reasons I'm so disappointed in Azz's run. People throw up his version as the only way Wonder Woman could have ever been successful. Everything the book needed was already there, all that was required was a change in focus. There was absolutely no need to change her origin, the Amazons or her powers and certainly no need to put her on the back burner and make the gods the stars of the show. Wonder Woman lore is rich, and full of unexplored territory, "there's gold in them hills" it just has to be mined.

Personally this felt a lot like Simone's Circle, only with Diana being young, and the outfits being skimpy. Not much of a difference from what we had before and i dont think this would have made WW interesting for too long. A couple of months down the line the effect would have worn off.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Personally this felt a lot like Simone's Circle, only with Diana being young, and the outfits being skimpy. Not much of a difference from what we had before and i dont think this would have made WW interesting for too long. A couple of months down the line the effect would have worn off.
    How do you feel it was like Simone's Circle? What are the similarities?

Kind of a match made in heaven.
    Man I would buy the everliving hell out of a Wonder Woman anime, Ame-Comi or otherwise. Overpriced deluxe special figurine edition with all the trimmings.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Impact View Post
    How do you feel it was like Simone's Circle? What are the similarities?
    Eh, the invasion on PI, the issues between Diana and her mother during the invasion and all that. It wasnt exactly like the Circle.

My point wasnt about the Circle itself anyway, it was that manga boobies and skirts aside, this isnt that much different from what came before. And people werent much interested in WW even when Benes drew her, so just by giving it some manga sexiness doesnt do much.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I wouldnt call Teen Titans, featuring a death camp for teenagers when they aren't experimented on a barrel of laughs. There a glimpses of fun in the books you mention, but it is not part of the overall tone.
    And yet the character interaction helps balances it out. In fact, that's another thing I noticed--it seems to me that, in reaction to some of the more disturbingly over-the-top crap we've had over the years, people have moved to the complete other side and decided that if there's any form of danger or malice, it can't be fun. I mean, look at Claremont's X-Men--people wouldn't deny that it was fun superheroics, and yet it handled some heavy crap at the same time. I mean, God Loves, Man Kills...his most iconic story, the Dark Phoenix Saga, involves the death of an entire PLANET! With that in mind, I'm going to add some more to the "fun" list:

Batman
    Detective Comics
    Batman: The Dark Knight
    Batgirl
    Batwing
    Catwoman
    Red Hood & The Outlaws
    All-Star Western
    Voodoo
    GI Combat

Oh yes, I'd watch an anime of this in a nanosecond. :D

not to be a total dork, but can it be downloaded to a pc? (yeah, I'm the ONE guy out there with a super old phone...lol)
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder39 View Post
    not to be a total dork, but can it be downloaded to a pc? (yeah, I'm the ONE guy out there with a super old phone...lol)
    M
    You can read it online using a PC. Need an account at Comixology, and an updated Adobe Flash (I believe).
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow