Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default EXCLUSIVE: Inside "Astonishing X-Men's" Northstar Proposal

Mike Perkins and Marjorie Liu give readers a glimpse inside the most talked about moment of the week with alternate takes on Northstar's proposal to KYLE leading to the buzzed about wedding in "Astonishing X-Men" #51.

Full article here.

Is this site being paid by marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by dr.maikel View Post
    Is this site being paid by marvel?
    Seeing as how it's gained mainstream media attention and seeing as how CBR covers all things comics, Marvel included and especially, it's a legitimate story. They've done making-of stories before. Whether you like it [the article] or not is an entirely different issue. Personally, I'm not a bigot and I'm all for a good "making-of" so the mere existence of this article doesn't bother me.

Having said that.... I still feel that it's a sales ploy on part of Marvel. Some things still bother me about this whole thing.

1. Kyle has been pretty much a non-character until recently. The proposal is coming out of nowhere. That's the first thing.
    2. The second thing is that journalists referring to Northstar as "iconic" really aren't comic fans. While Northstar has been around for decades, he's a D-lister. This is getting attention only because it's a hot topic and because he's part of the X-Men, which are iconic.
    3. The proposal just didn't ring true to me. It felt about as forced as turning Marcus Johnson into Nick Fury Jr.. I didn't believe it, especially how they haven't done much to show that these guys have any real chemistry. Sorry, but Marjorie Liu is no PAD.
    4. Finally, the issue really just wasn't any good, yet some people are acting like it was so great. I'm in it for the story. Period. Astonishing has been limping along lately. I just wasn't impressed.

Whether we're talking about race or sexual orientation, I'm all for equal rights and equal representation. However, I'm bothered when story takes a hit. Northstar's proposal really isn't being done in the service of story and it's only barely being done in the service of character here.

For record, problem is with THIS proposal. It doesn't ring true. Had Marvel actively sought media attention for the recent Hulkling/Wiccan propsal, I'd have no problem. Those two, imo, seem to be a more believable couple. I'd even have no problem with Rictor trying to demand more commitment from Shatterstar. Kyle & Northstar? Not buying it. Certainly not as a stunt, which I feel that it is.

It's hardly a coincidence that this proposal is being delivered on the heels of the 20th anniversary of Northstar's coming out. It just feels cheap.
    Last edited by cookepuss; 05-25-2012 at 01:35 PM.

More stuff about those two Canadians marrying and still no coverage of the interracial, interspecies (flesh eating ghouls and all), polygamous marriege between Sigurd and The Disir. So much for equality.

I wonder how much this issue will end up selling.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I wonder how much this issue will end up selling.
    It will probably sell fairly well, just for the fact that many non-collectors will want to pick it up in case it goes up in value. My brother-in-law has no interest in comics but he always asks me to get him a copy of any comic that is mentioned in the mainstream media, such as Obama appearing in Amazing Spider-Man a few years back.

BANNED

Marvel trying to make money by making a big deal out of something that shouldn't be a big deal aside. This wasn't very well done. I can't help but feel that Northstar has become a bit of wimp, chasing some whiny bitch. It feels like Liu is writing these guys as overly emotional and lets face it that is something that Northstar is not.

Maybe they should have introduced a new character for this or brought back Freedom Ring. Because Northstars arrogance and anger has always been his defining feature and I've no idea who the hell im reading about here.

I think it's cool that they're taking advantage of this. They risk alienating still many of their readers, it's not that "safe" of a decision. And the right to marry is important.
    X-Poster of the Month: July 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Quote Originally Posted by MartinRedmond View Post
    I think it's cool that they're taking advantage of this. They risk alienating still many of their readers, it's not that "safe" of a decision. And the right to marry is important.
    Yeah... but is making Astonishing a gay- X-ploitation comic worth it?

at least they're doing it.
    X-Poster of the Month: July 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Quote Originally Posted by cookepuss View Post
    Seeing as how it's gained mainstream media attention and seeing as how CBR covers all things comics, Marvel included and especially, it's a legitimate story. They've done making-of stories before. Whether you like it [the article] or not is an entirely different issue. Personally, I'm not a bigot and I'm all for a good "making-of" so the mere existence of this article doesn't bother me.

Having said that.... I still feel that it's a sales ploy on part of Marvel. Some things still bother me about this whole thing.

1. Kyle has been pretty much a non-character until recently. The proposal is coming out of nowhere. That's the first thing.
    2. The second thing is that journalists referring to Northstar as "iconic" really aren't comic fans. While Northstar has been around for decades, he's a D-lister. This is getting attention only because it's a hot topic and because he's part of the X-Men, which are iconic.
    3. The proposal just didn't ring true to me. It felt about as forced as turning Marcus Johnson into Nick Fury Jr.. I didn't believe it, especially how they haven't done much to show that these guys have any real chemistry. Sorry, but Marjorie Liu is no PAD.
    4. Finally, the issue really just wasn't any good, yet some people are acting like it was so great. I'm in it for the story. Period. Astonishing has been limping along lately. I just wasn't impressed.

Whether we're talking about race or sexual orientation, I'm all for equal rights and equal representation. However, I'm bothered when story takes a hit. Northstar's proposal really isn't being done in the service of story and it's only barely being done in the service of character here.

For record, problem is with THIS proposal. It doesn't ring true. Had Marvel actively sought media attention for the recent Hulkling/Wiccan propsal, I'd have no problem. Those two, imo, seem to be a more believable couple. I'd even have no problem with Rictor trying to demand more commitment from Shatterstar. Kyle & Northstar? Not buying it. Certainly not as a stunt, which I feel that it is.

It's hardly a coincidence that this proposal is being delivered on the heels of the 20th anniversary of Northstar's coming out. It just feels cheap.
    Most marriages in comics are rushed given the sliding timeline. Kyle still is a nobody character AND Apollo/Northstar married years ago. Northstar is iconic in the sense he is the first gay comic character. But that fades just like this will. Being iconic doesn't mean you are popular either.
    My Canon > Your Canon

You know, back in 1992, when Marvel had Northstar come out of the closet in Alpha Flight #106, that too made mainstream media coverage and the issue where Northstar revealed he was gay sold out in a week. 20 years later, Alpha Flight has long since been cancelled and Northstar is still considered to be a minor superhero in Marvel comics who isn't very well known outside of comic book circles. Sure, having a comic book character be openly gay was groundbreaking at the time (although DC beat Marvel to it by about 4 years with their character Extraño), just as that same character's upcoming marriage will be (even The Authority, which, as a Wildstorm comic was also owned by DC, was the first to show a gay marriage a decade earlier. Not to mention how Archie comics did this not too long ago, either). But that, in an of itself, is no guarantee this is going to create a long-lasting interest in the character. Just something to keep in mind.
    Last edited by stillanerd; 05-25-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    --Mike McNulty, aka Stillanerd

Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    You know, back in 1992, when Marvel had Northstar come out of the closet in Alpha Flight #106, that too made mainstream media coverage and the issue where Northstar revealed he was gay sold out in a week. 20 years later, Alpha Flight has long since been cancelled and Northstar is still considered to be a minor superhero in Marvel comics who isn't very well known outside of comic book circles. Just something to keep in mind.
    People wanted to forget about that issue. Wasn't he running around with a premature fetus for half the issue? The art on Alpha Flight was so bad back then, the issues seemed like they were barely drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Relique View Post
    Yeah... but is making Astonishing a gay- X-ploitation comic worth it?
    is not like the title had anything else going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinRedmond View Post
    at least they're doing it.
    Yeah... while yelling at the world through a loudspeaker saying "LOOK AT HOW PROGRESSIVE WE ARE! WE HAVE GAY MARRIAGES! BUY MARVEL HURRAH!"

It just makes it seem like they are grasping at straws to come up with a way to have a massive sales boost for one issue. I wold have more respect for Marvel if they didn't try to hamfist Northstar's marriage and if it didn't smell like editorial saying "We need to counter Archie's gay marriage, Batwoman, and Bunker asap! "