Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thumbs up Fat Superheroes - DC

Do you know of any "fat" super heroes in DC? I can't seem to think of any off the top of my head. Why aren't there many overweight super heroes? Can only fit people get powers and want to save the day? glennsim made a point, "why do we never see a fat Green Lantern? Or is it possible we have, but they were aliens and we didn't know they were fat? But really, what is it about flying around using a magic ring that would burn any calories? In fact, otherwise-healthy people should probably put on a little weight spending all that time flying weightlessly in space."
    Can't other people get powers and not have to be fit?

There's a fat Green Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by Revengeance View Post
    here's a fat Green Lantern
    His face is fat, but his body is actually slim, so no, he's not really fat. Nice try though.

Quote Originally Posted by doordoor123 View Post
    Do you know of any "fat" super heroes in DC? I can't seem to think of any off the top of my head. Why aren't there many overweight super heroes? Can only fit people get powers and want to save the day? glennsim made a point, "why do we never see a fat Green Lantern? Or is it possible we have, but they were aliens and we didn't know they were fat? But really, what is it about flying around using a magic ring that would burn any calories? In fact, otherwise-healthy people should probably put on a little weight spending all that time flying weightlessly in space."
    Well there is Bouncing Boy from the Legion of Super Heroes

D-Deadman! You killed Deadman!!

The red Tornado-

The Blimp-

The original Marvel Family had a Fat Marvel - http://images.wwcomics.com/images/large/MvFam_2_Ck.jpg

The new Marvel Family somewhat replaces him with Paco of the new SHAZAM Family -

Lead of the Metal-Men tends to be portrayed as the chunk one - http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...s_Vol_4_95.jpg
    Last edited by Guicho; 02-25-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Not a hero but Yo-Yo from the new Suicide Squad is fat....sometimes.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Thondor Allen, a futuristic fat Flash.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    The comic book industry/medium is paradoxically the most fragile and most resilient thing in the world. Its noisiest critics insist every day that every cough, sputter, or dirty look threatens to destroy it, but it has survived every prediction of its demise for nearly eight decades.

Pull list:
    Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Worlds' Finest, My Little Pony, The Flash, Birds of Prey, Batman '66

Quote Originally Posted by doordoor123 View Post
    Back in the early 1990s, I believe it was stated canonically that Guy Gardner had deliberately "cheated" by using his own power ring to keep his body young and strong. (On a similar note, didn't an elderly Alan Scott, the original GL of the Golden Age, wake up one morning in "Green Lantern Quarterly," look in the bathroom mirror, and discover he was a handsome YOUNG man again? And it eventually turned out he'd done it to himself -- subconscious wish-fulfillment?)

That could explain why GLs in general don't look any chubbier than they want to be! (It's also been suggested from time to time, at DC and elsewhere, that heroes with strong illusion-casting powers often make themselves look a heck of a lot slimmer and/or prettier than they really are!)

Hmmm. Come to think of it -- in 1991, there was also a JLI issue in which Blue Beetle (Ted Kord), after months of recovering from severe injuries and generally taking it easy, was shocked to discover he'd developed a spare tire around his waist. He was very sensitive about this, and planned to start exercising like crazy now that he was fit enough to do so. When he went into the League's gym to start weight-lifting, Guy started mocking him something fierce. This led to Ted having a boxing match with Guy Gardner . . . and Ted was winning until Guy went berserk, struck him from behind between rounds, and then started kicking Ted while he was down, all of which is very much against the traditional rules of that sport.

I think Ted's unpleasant experience in the gym with Guy may serve to illustrate why some fat people in the DCU, if suddenly discovering they've been gifted with superpowers, might choose to follow one of these two strategies:

1. Don't go out in public in a tight costume until you've sweated off all those extra pounds so you won't be a target of constant derision,
    or
    2. Don't go out in public in a costume -- period! Let someone else worry about saving the world!
    Last edited by Lorendiac; 05-25-2012 at 01:07 PM.

You all missed the most important character
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_lqy08i5GTb1qjw1rjo4_400.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	93949

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by a fire in london View Post
    Not a hero but Yo-Yo from the new Suicide Squad is fat....sometimes.
    Didnt Yo-Yo get eaten by King Shark?

More out of shape...
    Last edited by Guicho; 02-25-2014 at 10:28 AM.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Didnt Yo-Yo get eaten by King Shark?
    Yup, but he snuck back out just the last issue while King Shark was unconscious and he went down a sewer drain to escape.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

Quote Originally Posted by Guicho View Post
    More just out of shape...
    Yep, that's from the JLI story I mentioned! Ted knew he looked painfully ridiculous that way, so he changed into the baggiest sweatclothes he could find before heading over to the gym . .

Looking at it to refresh my memory, I have to admit it wasn't exactly as if he had a "spare tire." My mistake. More like a bulging belly as if he were pregnant or something . . .
    Last edited by Lorendiac; 05-25-2012 at 01:17 PM.