Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

One that I'd never known about, but read on one of the comic blog sites, was the subtle maneuvering of Superman actually being the sand Superman and the real Superman still dead at the hands of Doomsday.

That would be so cool, and Kal eventually coming back somehow.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I remember 2 from DC.... there was this 12 Issue Maxi-Series that never actually had an ending. It just stopped...

From what I remember they were supposed to wrap it all with an extra sized issue and never did.

Then there was the storyline involved with the New Guardians ...

This one from what I remember reading on CBR had the writer , Englehart claim in #12 that the storyline of the New Guardians would continue in more books in the DCU in the next couple of years. Instead...nothing ever came of them.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Then there was the storyline involved with the New Guardians ...

This one from what I remember reading on CBR had the writer , Englehart claim in #12 that the storyline of the New Guardians would continue in more books in the DCU in the next couple of years. Instead...nothing ever came of them.
    The specific storylines might not have been addressed, but they appeared in Gerard Jones Green Lantern run, in which it was revealed they were basically a contingency plan of the Guardians in case they never returned from their extra-dimensional mating, and when they did the New Guardians were redundant.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

The Vertigo series American Virgin fizzled out. I don't know what happened with it but the final issue reeked of sudden cancellation.

The Andy Helfer/Kyle Baker Shadow series from the late 80s ended with a cliffhanger. The Shadow's decapitated head was placed on a robot body after he had been dead for a few issues and then nothing. I recall DC saying that the storyline would be wrapped up in a one-shot special, but it never happened. I've wondered how that weird story was supposed to end for over twenty years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2739 View Post
    The Andy Helfer/Kyle Baker Shadow series from the late 80s ended with a cliffhanger. The Shadow's decapitated head was placed on a robot body after he had been dead for a few issues and then nothing. I recall DC saying that the storyline would be wrapped up in a one-shot special, but it never happened. I've wondered how that weird story was supposed to end for over twenty years.
    IIRC, Conde Nast put the kibosh on that plot. I liked the Baker/Helfer Shadow, but coming out with the Shadow Strikes was definitely a silver lining.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Quote Originally Posted by MDG View Post
    IIRC, Conde Nast put the kibosh on that plot. I liked the Baker/Helfer Shadow, but coming out with the Shadow Strikes was definitely a silver lining.
    Actually Brian Cronin did a Comic Book Legends Revealed entry on that about a year ago, and it turns out that the Conde Nast had little idea what was going with the book. It was cancelled because it was selling poorly-- Kyle Baker mentioned that he and Andy Helfer actually split a royalty check for $20-- and they decided to go out on the most ridiculous note possible. DC felt that the Shadow would sell better back in his original environment, so they planned The Shadow Strikes to be set in the '30s.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Actually Brian Cronin did a Comic Book Legends Revealed entry on that about a year ago, and it turns out that the Conde Nast had little idea what was going with the book. It was cancelled because it was selling poorly-- Kyle Baker mentioned that he and Andy Helfer actually split a royalty check for $20-- and they decided to go out on the most ridiculous note possible. DC felt that the Shadow would sell better back in his original environment, so they planned The Shadow Strikes to be set in the '30s.
    Which seems to have been the right choice then as per Gerard Jones, "Strikes" was selling fine but cancelled because Conde Nast upped the fees they wanted (and apparently found in Dark Horse).

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Thanks! I was hoping that someone here would know what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    I haven't read much of DeMatties's professional work, but it's hearing about things like this that makes me think he was probably much better at writing analyses for the letters-page than at writing the comics themselves.
    Demateiss is one of my favorite writers, so I can't just let his dismissal pass.

His body of work is at least worthy of consideration.
    formerly coke & comics

Sleepwalker is Sandman done right. ~Tadhg

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N View Post
    Demateiss is one of my favorite writers, so I can't just let his dismissal pass.

Agreed. I'm particularly fond of his Dr. Fate run. I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone here has mentioned it.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N View Post

If I tried anything it would most likely be one of his original creations - which do you recommend? The only thing of his with established characters that catches my eye is Kraven's Last Hunt, which I think sounds like a good idea.

If I tried anything it would most likely be one of his original creations - which do you recommend? The only thing of his with established characters that catches my eye is Kraven's Last Hunt, which I think sounds like a good idea.
    It's a fabulous idea. By all means, go for it! That's one of my favorite stories ever--certainly one of the ten best superhero stories of the 1980s.

I've really liked de Matteis' work over the years. He often writes about spiritual themes, but not in a specifically religious way.

Moonshadow is well-regarded; personally I found it hard to read, but that might have been because of the lettering, which gave me severe eyestrain. Beautiful, beautiful art by Jon J Muth, though.

The Gargoyle miniseries is great, and has a better looking Gargoyle than we ever saw in Defenders. Dark and mature for a general audiences Marvel title.

There was a Vertigo series called The Last One which was very good.

And I was always fond of his Captain America run with Mike Zeck.

If I had to recommend one thing from DeMatteis, it would definitely be Moonshadow. That said, he has had a wide and varied career, and most of his work is quite good. My only complaint is that he occasionally burdens his work with New Age-y preachiness that bogs down the story.