Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ShQQta View Post
    The New Universe seemed to go out with a whimper.
    And Warren Ellis' update, NewUniversal, never had a follow-up, either.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

Maximum Carnage

Spider-Man Clone Saga

Batman No Man's Land
    A N I M E

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

"The Twelve" storyline had a big buildup and then turned into a conventional Apocalypse story.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by stelok View Post

Spider-Man Clone Saga

Batman No Man's Land
    Funny, I never think of either of these as fizzling out so much as being extended well beyond the story being able to sustain the material - which I guess is a form of fizzling.

Beaten to death would be more my label for these.

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    And Warren Ellis' update, NewUniversal, never had a follow-up, either.
    Was NewUniversal any good?

I don' think it ever had a chance to be anything beyond a moderately interesting beginning before it just stopped. Ellis introduced his take on the characters and then wandered off, without ever really doing much with them.

I agree with Simon. It was Ellis at his best slow-paced-and-creepy; lots of mood but not much plot yet. It's a shame--I think he could have done a lot with it, given time.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Garth View Post
    I don' think it ever had a chance to be anything beyond a moderately interesting beginning before it just stopped. Ellis introduced his take on the characters and then wandered off, without ever really doing much with them.
    I'd always assumed that was all he was brought in to do. Seed some ideas for other writers to run with. It certainly read very much like something he was doing for the money, rather than something he was really interested in.
    Meh!

Veteran Member

The Warren Ellis series I'm sorriest to see fizzle out is Doktor Sleepless, followed fairly closely by Desolation Jones, and with Fell a more distant third.

Karma ran over Dogma grphxkindaguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Garth View Post
    IIRC I heard that Ellis' computer had died, losing everything on it, nothing was backed up. This included a LOT of comic scripts he was working on, including NU. He just never bothered to redo the scripts, just moved onto newer projects...

The original New Universe series from the 80's was gutted and finally put out if its misery months after Jim Shooter had left Marvel, the main architect of that line. A few dick editors/creators even took some final potshots at JS in the pages of the book.
    Comics still reading: Floppies- Saga TPB- GI Joe ARAH, Sixth Gun, Hawkeye, Usagi Yojimbo. DC nu52 is unreadable...

Meh!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post

I love D.P. 7 but I am not real comfortable with it being relaunched or rebooted, as it was Mark Gruenwald's baby from start to finish. I'm just not sure I like the idea of someone else doing the book.

It's kind of ironic that Ellis' reboot fizzled out considering the original also fizzled out. There were some good ideas in the New Universe, but maybe they should just leave well enough alone.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Karma ran over Dogma grphxkindaguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    I love D.P. 7 but I am not real comfortable with it being relaunched or rebooted, as it was Mark Gruenwald's baby from start to finish. I'm just not sure I like the idea of someone else doing the book.

It's kind of ironic that Ellis' reboot fizzled out considering the original also fizzled out. There were some good ideas in the New Universe, but maybe they should just leave well enough alone.
    I concur 100% DP7 was by far the best of the NU books, but its time to just let the whole line rest, like 2099 line, the Spider-Girl line etc.

I think they have to bring it back every couple of years to keep the copyright/trademark alive?
    Comics still reading: Floppies- Saga TPB- GI Joe ARAH, Sixth Gun, Hawkeye, Usagi Yojimbo. DC nu52 is unreadable...

Quote Originally Posted by grphxkindaguy View Post
    I concur 100% DP7 was by far the best of the NU books, but its time to just let the whole line rest, like 2099 line, the Spider-Girl line etc.

I think they have to bring it back every couple of years to keep the copyright/trademark alive?
    Copyrights are for a set number of years (functionally forever at this point). Trademarks epire if not used. Hence Captain Marvel having to become Shazam.

Don't know if this one would apply but back in the 90's when the Topps trading card company use to make comics they had the license to the Exo-Squad toy and cartoon line intended as a 3-issue series preceded by an issue zero first.

Well looks like they only got up to releasing issue zero before cancelling the entire thing, but they've since released the covers for what the series might've looked like online.