Veteran Member

Default New Origin Details?

What do we know, and what can we guess, about the DCnU's version of Wodner Woman's origin?

I don't mean her birth story, but the events surrounding her departure from the island and her assumption of the Wonder Woan identify. We'll probably find out some of this in #0 in September, but meanwhile there's time to speculate.

Here's what I've seen, mostly form the JL 2 text feature:

--Captain Steve Trevor, USAF, had previously been a hero of Operation: Pandora's box and a member of Team Seven.
    --Before the JL origin, now more than 5 years ago, Trevor received an order to rescue a Coast Guard ship from a hurricane. He later found out that the order was based on false information; there was no such ship.
    --Trevor flew into the hurricane and then "fly through a circle of golden light and crash land on an island full of Amazons."
    --Diana, according to Trevor, was unable to return to the island.
    --Diana left the island to do "what she was raised to do....Fight."

Who provided the false information that brough Trevor to the hurricance and thus to the island? Was it someone who wanted to give Diana a reason to leave the isalnd and become Wonder Woman? I see a couple of possibilities:

1. Pandora.

She seems to have been planning, since she reluanched the timeline, to use the JL to caputre the Strange. Maybe she needed the Leagure to have Wonder Woman as a member. She probably knew of Trevor because of Operation: Pandora's Box, and maybe that's why she chose to use him as the catalyst to start Diana's career.

2. Strife.

If Ares was planning something--as he was in past origins--maybe Strife secretly wanted him contained. I can see those two as rivals as well as sometimes allies; they kind of have ovelapping roles. If Strife secretly helped to prompt the mission, that could make her the fourth sponsor that Azz and Chiang mentioned.

3. Orr.

In JL 2, one of Steve's colleagues or subordiantes is wearing ID that sawys "Orr," which was the name the mercenary in Azz's For Tomorrow" who worked for a myesterious group that ran most of the world.

Thoughts?

Interesting thread, Slvn. I can't seem to find my JL #2, so if I get something wrong, I'm sure it's your fault. Somehow. ;)

3 - I just saw Orr as a fun easter egg by Lee; I'm doubting it's plot related (could be wrong).

2 - I can definately see Strife causing some strife if for no other reason than that's what she does. But my money would probably go to...

1 - Pandora. After all, this is Johns' story (JL), and thus far, Azzarello's WW doesn't seem particularly interested in focusing on when/where/why/how Diana left the Island (although it is briefly alluded to).

Or, if they are trying to keep something from Pre-nu DCU (which I doubt), perhaps Ares still played a part, maybe he wanted to destroy Doom's Doorway.

Or, for my long-shot speculation guess from nowhere just for fun: Athena. In all her wisdom, she knew Diana needed to leave mom's shadow in order to grow into her full potential. She got her sister Aphrodite to help out by mentioning a handsom young man.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    What do we know, and what can we guess, about the DCnU's version of Wodner Woman's origin?

I don't mean her birth story, but the events surrounding her departure from the island and her assumption of the Wonder Woan identify. We'll probably find out some of this in #0 in September, but meanwhile there's time to speculate.

Here's what I've seen, mostly form the JL 2 text feature:

--Captain Steve Trevor, USAF, had previously been a hero of Operation: Pandora's box and a member of Team Seven.
    --Before the JL origin, now more than 5 years ago, Trevor received an order to rescue a Coast Guard ship from a hurricane. He later found out that the order was based on false information; there was no such ship.
    --Trevor flew into the hurricane and then "fly through a circle of golden light and crash land on an island full of Amazons."
    --Diana, according to Trevor, was unable to return to the island.
    --Diana left the island to do "what she was raised to do....Fight."

Who provided the false information that brough Trevor to the hurricance and thus to the island? Was it someone who wanted to give Diana a reason to leave the isalnd and become Wonder Woman? I see a couple of possibilities:

1. Pandora.

She seems to have been planning, since she reluanched the timeline, to use the JL to caputre the Strange. Maybe she needed the Leagure to have Wonder Woman as a member. She probably knew of Trevor because of Operation: Pandora's Box, and maybe that's why she chose to use him as the catalyst to start Diana's career.

2. Strife.

If Ares was planning something--as he was in past origins--maybe Strife secretly wanted him contained. I can see those two as rivals as well as sometimes allies; they kind of have ovelapping roles. If Strife secretly helped to prompt the mission, that could make her the fourth sponsor that Azz and Chiang mentioned.

3. Orr.

In JL 2, one of Steve's colleagues or subordiantes is wearing ID that sawys "Orr," which was the name the mercenary in Azz's For Tomorrow" who worked for a myesterious group that ran most of the world.

Thoughts?

To me, it depends on whether Flashpoint was really and truly a breeding ground for what we know as Nu52. If so, then I am tempted to guess that her true origin would be that as shown on Wonder Woman and The Furies (#1-4) that happened as a lead-in to Flashpoint... sans Aquaman involvement. She left Paradise Island to explore, which would certainly be backed up and verified (possibly) by something like this:

I don't know if Azzarello or the powers that be would be paying so close attention to something like that. But if they are, then there was your new origin. Maybe instead of finding a baby Kraken (which led to Aquaman's involvement) she found a crashed plane (Steve Trevor) and take it from there!
    Last edited by RMAN63; 05-20-2012 at 05:57 AM.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post
    Maybe instead of finding a baby Kraken (which led to Aquaman's involvement) she found a crashed plane (Steve Trevor) and take it from there!
    Interesting. But I think if she found him (as she did even in the Marston origin), she found him on Paradise Island--in the text piece in JL 2, he says he flew through a circle of golden light and found himself on an island full of Amazons. In the panel above, Hippolyta could just be talking about a reason for Diana's insistence on joining the Contest (if there still was a Contest).
    Last edited by slvn; 05-20-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Interesting. But I think if she found him (as she did even in the Marston origin), she found him on Paradise Island--in the text piece in JL 2, he says he flew through a circle of golden light and found himself on an island full of Amazons. In the panel above, Hippolyta could just be talking about a reason for Diana's insistence on joining the Contest (if there still was a Contest).
    I really don't know how much stock to put into the connections between anything written in JL and WW. That's Johns and did he even consult this creative team? I suppose it's possible. Also, Azzarello did say her origin as WW remains unchanged, but looking at the way that Island was run I just don't see a contest even if I admit there must've been one. I'm sure if there was it was vastly different circumstances. I just don't see the Pre-Crisis reason here (falling in Love and donning a mask to enter secretly), nor do I see Ares being the reason as prestented by Perez.

Whatever it is, I'm sure there's a wild spin on it. Worse part of it is, I don't know when (or if) he's going to explain it. I have the feeling Azzarello expects us to think that one of the two above-mentioned origins fits here. And I don't think either one does.

BANNED

Azzarello doesn't care, he just wants to tell his present story. Diana's origin story is whatever floats your boat.

I don't think we should see her origin tied to any 'event' such as Pandora. Mostly because she needs to start with some consistency and events are usually the first things that get retconned. That's fine for why Steve was out there. Because you can't keep his original reason for being out there (Nazis). I'm not sure if there was a contest but going by what we've seen of Diana's appearences, it seems apparent that Steve was the reason she left. Either to get him home, to follow him to his world or just see what lay beyond the shores of Paradise Island. Could be a combination of all three. She is interested in Steve and he opens the world for her. And I'm sure she learns that she can find a place in that world since it offers her a fight of some type. I think the scenes above with Hippolyte enforce the idea that both think her destiny is elsewhere but eventually she will make her way home. The contest is still up in the air. I think its a odd thing to keep and fine if they skip it. I like that Diana leaving was Diana leaving against her mother's wishes without deception. She stood up to her queen and left. Not secretly won a contest and then embarassed her mother into allowing her to leave.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fate's Faith View Post
    I like that Diana leaving was Diana leaving against her mother's wishes without deception. She stood up to her queen and left. Not secretly won a contest and then embarassed her mother into allowing her to leave.
    I could live with that. It unbreaks everything that gets broken by making Diana a demigoddess, or uniquely endowed with godly gifts. In either case the contest is no contest. Now that Diana's powers are her own by birth, she shouldn't be depowered when one of her patron deities is captured or defeated.

I'd still prefer Diana to simply be preeminent among the Amazons, all of whom are fairly powerful metas, and to owe that to training and will rather than being different from the others.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    I'd still prefer Diana to simply be preeminent among the Amazons, all of whom are fairly powerful metas, and to owe that to training and will rather than being different from the others.
    I think Exoristos from Demon Knights probably shows the Amazons are above normal human beings in ability. Nothing I've seen that says super powered but definitely more than your average warrior. I do wish they'd give her a showcase issue soon.

Yeah, Exoristos did beat a giant charging dinosaur with a hammer blow to the head. Either Cornell went over the top there, or Amazons are above humans in strength.