Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    yes, congrats to you, child company of giant parent corporation. you did it. you made huge amounts of money. suck it... other corporations?

sorry, I just think it's odd that people cheer on corporate identities.
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Robb View Post
    Especially Disney.

"Yes..... Congrats to me...DISNEY !" (Zombie Walt)
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Shame it probably won't knock Cameron's worst from the biggest box office, but glad it's done so well.
    This signature will self-destruct in five seconds...

☿Mecurial master of media Living Silver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thenerdal View Post
    Woo!!! Avengers beat Harry Potter and is the 3rd top grossing film of all time. Not infated, cause I don't care about that. Today, people pirate movies, back then, they didn't.
    If you are being serious when you say this, then I will respectfully inform you that yes: yes they did pirate movies back then. Both online and on physical media (i.e. pirate DVDs).

double post- my bad.

I don't think piracy is anywhere near the problem people make it out to be anyway.
    UFC uses this excuse, a show does shitty and Dana White will mention piracy, a show does great and he doesn't say "Well, it would have been better if not for piracy."
    It's even more obvious with films still in theatres, have any of you ever watched a cam? Even the best ones have bad audio and crap video quality, and for a movie like Avengers where the big draw is how it looks, piracy isn't cutting in that much. Most of the people who pirate it never had any intention of seeing it in the first place, you can't lose revenue from people who were never going to give you money anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I don't think piracy is anywhere near the problem people make it out to be anyway.
    UFC uses this excuse, a show does shitty and Dana White will mention piracy, a show does great and he doesn't say "Well, it would have been better if not for piracy."
    It's even more obvious with films still in theatres, have any of you ever watched a cam? Even the best ones have bad audio and crap video quality, and for a movie like Avengers where the big draw is how it looks, piracy isn't cutting in that much. Most of the people who pirate it never had any intention of seeing it in the first place, you can't lose revenue from people who were never going to give you money anyway.
    I would argue that some piracy can hurt the end product sales, depending on whom the movie is targeting. For example, Scott Pilgrim did terribly, despite tones of people liking it. Why? It was targeted towards teenagers and people in their twenties who were tech/game/comic savvy: the crowd that bootlegs the most. On the other hand, the graphic novels did extremely well before and after the movie was released, so many people simply didn't like the film and I'm an idiot.

BANNED

Piracy definitely plays some part. But it's one of those things that you can never put a figure on. I personally don't think it makes that much difference at all. Maybe like, 1 million dollars worth, if that.

Piracy may cut into post theatre dvd sales. Or dtvs there are some 100 percent copies out there special features and everything.

good point.

I started to post an argument about piracy, but changed my mind and decided to post this instead.

Bottom line, pirating films is illegal. Doesn't matter if it is one copy or 100 million copies. Piracy is piracy, and it is illegal. No other stance matters. If you think piracy isn't illegal, you are delusional. Regardless of how much or little it hurts the movie industry, and regardless of your opinion on whether it should or shouldn't be illegal, at this moment in time it is illegal. Period. And if you pirate a film, and get caught, you could go to prison. You could be fined. It doesn't matter if you agree with the penalties, they exist. That are enforceable, and they can and will be enforced.

End of discussion. Nothing more to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    I started to post an argument about piracy, but changed my mind and decided to post this instead.

Bottom line, pirating films is illegal. Doesn't matter if it is one copy or 100 million copies. Piracy is piracy, and it is illegal. No other stance matters. If you think piracy isn't illegal, you are delusional. Regardless of how much or little it hurts the movie industry, and regardless of your opinion on whether it should or shouldn't be illegal, at this moment in time it is illegal. Period. And if you pirate a film, and get caught, you could go to prison. You could be fined. It doesn't matter if you agree with the penalties, they exist. That are enforceable, and they can and will be enforced.

End of discussion. Nothing more to say.
    You're talking about the legality of piracy, which no one mentioned, we were talking about how much it actually affects the gross of a film in theatres.

BANNED

Who gives a shit about legality anyway? Telling someone "oh no you can't do that, it's illegal!" will have you laughed at.

Immortal. So far so good! Treqqor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post
    Who gives a shit about legality anyway? Telling someone "oh no you can't do that, it's illegal!" will have you laughed at.
    I'm sure Gilberto Sanchez would have gladly settled for the laughter.

BANNED

Yea well he's an idiot for getting caught then.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    You're talking about the legality of piracy, which no one mentioned, we were talking about how much it actually affects the gross of a film in theatres.
    Which will then lead to a circular argument about what constitutes a loss at the box office and how to quantify it. I have been through all that before. Lets not let this denigrate into a discussion of piracy. Lets leave that can of worms closed.