Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Kirkman and Skybound Announce "The Walking Dead Escape: San Diego"

"The Walking Dead" creator Robert Kirkman has announced a live-action event recreating the post-apocalyptic comic book world for a survival obstacle course at Comic-Con International at San Diego.

Full article here.

I'm starting to worry Kirkman is gonna sell out completely soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Huskie View Post
    I've never really understood this. Who cares if he "sells out"? Does it matter if he sells merchandise or anything else? What does that have to do with putting out the comic and telling good stories? The book has been coming out consistently on time for the last few years and, in my opinion, has maintained a consistently high level of quality during that time. And this new story arc looks like it will continue to be good and exciting. That's all that really matters. So if Kirkman wants to make more money on outside things (which, as a fan, I actually enjoy having available) who cares.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

It's not selling out I'm worried about (which he ain't doing) but how over-top the franchise is becoming. Tv series and games are a cool and all but an recreation obstacle course is a bit too much for my tastes; though that's just me.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

I'm not. He writes a survivalist horror comic in a market absolutely dominated by superhero books, and it's the biggest crossover hit the industry has -- probably -- ever had. Seriously, what would be considered "keeping it real"? I see this as another step to promote his book as broadly as he can. "Walking Dead" (the comic) is as consistent now as it always has been. No evidence that the TV show, the game, or the action figures are softening the quality of the title. In my opinion, that would be selling out -- when focusing on "the brand" detracts from the quality of the material. That's not happening.

This is promotion, and (again) in an industry overrun with tights, non-superhero books need all the promotion they can get.
    Sean Fahey
    www.facebook.com/BlackJackPress
    Tall Tales from the Badlands - The critically acclaimed Western anthology
    http://graphicly.com/black-jack-pres...the-badlands/1

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Fahey View Post
    I'm not. He writes a survivalist horror comic in a market absolutely dominated by superhero books, and it's the biggest crossover hit the industry has -- probably -- ever had. Seriously, what would be considered "keeping it real"? I see this as another step to promote his book as broadly as he can. "Walking Dead" (the comic) is as consistent now as it always has been. No evidence that the TV show, the game, or the action figures are softening the quality of the title. In my opinion, that would be selling out -- when focusing on "the brand" detracts from the quality of the material. That's not happening.

This is promotion, and (again) in an industry overrun with tights, non-superhero books need all the promotion they can get.
    I think the quality of the comic has been declining, but maybe that's just me. The show is borderline bad at times and he's now writing another comic that seem like they're specifically designed to be made into a TV show so its poorly paced as a comic. I love Kirkman's comic writing, but I think he's stretching himself too thin. Also, I agree this is over the top and I'm worried about the brand becoming watered down. Meh, I guess its just me.

BANNED

I understand where you're coming from.

The show is borderline bad at times...
    No disagreement there.

I remember watching Season One and saying to myself half the time, "AMC cancelled 'Rubicon' but they renewed THIS?"
    Sean Fahey

No disagreement there.

I remember watching Season One and saying to myself half the time, "AMC cancelled 'Rubicon' but they renewed THIS?"
    I think the show has been awesome, but that's just my opinion.
    Thank god comic fans are such a tiny little percentage of the audience needed for a successful film because apparently we not only hate fucking everything, we're willing to even pre-hate things...

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimson View Post
    I think the show has been awesome, but that's just my opinion.
    I applaud the high production value, I applaud the fact that (like the comic) no one on the show is safe, I like several of the peripheral characters and I love the fact that this show just exists (a genre comic book adaptation that is garnering significant cross over attention).

All that said, the three leads are terrible. Almost unwatchable. (But I guess that's not going to be as big of an issue next season...) I was very much hoping during Season One that the producers were going to do something dramatic and make Lenny James and his son the lead (throw the comic audience for a loop).

I also recognize that I am in the minority on this, but it is what is.
    Last edited by Sean Fahey; 05-17-2012 at 05:48 AM.
    Sean Fahey

So...I'm the only one who just thought "That sounds like fun."?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    So...I'm the only one who just thought "That sounds like fun."?
    It sounds fun.
    Thank god comic fans are such a tiny little percentage of the audience needed for a successful film because apparently we not only hate fucking everything, we're willing to even pre-hate things...

Quote Originally Posted by Otchofriend View Post
    It's not selling out I'm worried about (which he ain't doing) but how over-top the franchise is becoming. Tv series and games are a cool and all but an recreation obstacle course is a bit too much for my tastes; though that's just me.
    The article says...
    "The Walking Dead Escape: San Diego," which is described as "unlike any obstacle course event in the U.S."

But thats not true... its been seen, its been done. Its just fun.
    http://runforyourlives.com/

No disagreement there.

More people shouldve watched Rubicon... TWD has record numbers almost weekly. I doubt Rubicon could say the same.

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

I never watched Rubicon but well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rubicon_episodes

It seemed to peak with a 1.90 on the second episode then it just dropped off after that, and at one point it didn't even break a million viewers. So AMC did the right thing and they put it down like a lame horse..

Meanwhile..

Take a gander at these numbers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Dead_episodes

Season 1 outdid Breaking Bad and Mad Men, and season 2 not only blew both shows away, it had twice as many viewers, and at times nearly triple the amount. AMC finally has a winner on their hands, and Kirkman is finally getting the mainstream appreciation he deserves to be getting. And if he decides to take advantage of this new found success by allowing companies to make Walking Dead figures, sippy cups, lunchboxes, bedsheets, underoos, or whatever, more power to him. He'd only be selling out if he changes the comic that we all love just to please a wider audience, and I don't see him doing that. I feel he'll keep doing the comic the same as always while at the same letting other companies do the other stuff, like McFarlane is handling the toys and Telltale games is handing the games.

I mean I can't be the only one who finds it refreshing to see a talented artist do well in an age when most of those who are doing well in the entertainment industry have zero talent, like the kardashians, the Jersey Shore dorks, or Channing Tatum.
    Last edited by Anthony Devianza; 05-17-2012 at 11:25 PM.