Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Superdoom=New 52 Doomsday?

First of all, I've never been a fan of Doomsday, but seeing as how Morrison made Egg Fu an interesting character, I think he could do wonders with the one-note Doomsday.

I've always thought a being called Doomsday should be a more metaphysical menace, something that can't be defeated by beating it up. That seems to be where Morrison is going with Superdoom. What if, in fact, Superdoom was what killed Superman in the New 52? (We know he still died, as it was vaguely referenced in Swamp Thing).

I really wouldn't have much of an issue with this, it'd be a very interesting tie in, and honestly I never really thought before if part of Morrison's plan for his story was indeed to incorporate the Death into it. If it is, that just might get me over my belief DC should have nixed it during the reboot. And there really wouldn't be anything more meta than the corporate Superman killing the true Superman only for the true Superman to return. And who knows, maybe this is what we've been seeing from the Little Man all along. Him either through the natural course of time or time travel, creating multiple threats to see if any can get Superman killed, and unleashing Superdoom from an alternate world may be is the idea that succeeds.

With that said though, I don't think Superdoom or any other characters should actually replace Doomsday's existence altogether. I'm still wanting the nu52 Doomsday to be revealed to be the Worldkiller of Kryptonian myth that inspired the scientific experiments of Zor-El took part in.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-12-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!

this woudl be really cool and it seems that way

it's a super idea from a supposedly not super source haha
    they label me a villain cause of how I express my feelings

I think it'd be interesting if Superman had to give his life to stop Superdoom, only to rise again to save humanity when another threat emerges. Sort of Christ-like without being overly obvious or heavy-handed.

Frankly, the old Doomsday feels so small in comparison to this Superman. It wouldn't make much sense for him to kill this Superman (not that it made any more sense for him to kill the nineties Super-Yuppie).

I think I like the idea that Superman was killed fighting the corporate, corrupt Superdoom. Such an irony if it turns true. But I don't think DC will replace Doomsday as the monster that killed Superman and got killed in the process, despite the fact that I don't really like Doomsday in the first place.

I wouldn't rule anything out, honestly. I mean, and I'm just conjecturing here, but if Morrison pitched them an idea for an epic which included the death but done differently, I don't know if they'd say no to that.

Quote Originally Posted by George Taylor View Post
    I think I like the idea that Superman was killed fighting the corporate, corrupt Superdoom. Such an irony if it turns true. But I don't think DC will replace Doomsday as the monster that killed Superman and got killed in the process, despite the fact that I don't really like Doomsday in the first place.
    I think if Morrison wants to, they will. Seems like he has a lot of freedom to do what he wants with the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I wouldn't rule anything out, honestly. I mean, and I'm just conjecturing here, but if Morrison pitched them an idea for an epic which included the death but done differently, I don't know if they'd say no to that.
    Exactly. DC seems content to let him do his thing, because it means green for them.

Quote Originally Posted by NotSuper
    Exactly. DC seems content to let him do his thing, because it means green for them.
    I think I agree with you and with Sacred Knight. Besides, it would be epic for sure if the monster that killed Superman was none other than Superdoom himself.

I would even love to go a step further and have it go down in a way that the world at large doesn't even know about it. I bet that would piss off a lot of people considering the absolutely huge event it was when he died the first time, but there would be even more of a metatextual spin there, in having Superman nearly lost forever and replaced by a perverted, corporate version of himself...and no one even realizing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I would even love to go a step further and have it go down in a way that the world at large doesn't even know about it. I bet that would piss off a lot of people considering the absolutely huge event it was when he died the first time, but there would be even more of a metatextual spin there, in having Superman nearly lost forever and replaced by a perverted, corporate version of himself...and no one even realizing it.
    Such a twisted yet very cool idea. It reminds me to the Cyborg Superman appearing as if he was the real Superman during Reign of the Supermen, but in this case the evil version appears after a tragic but unnoticed event.

Senior Member FirestormTheNuclearMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NotSuper View Post
    First of all, I've never been a fan of Doomsday, but seeing as how Morrison made Egg Fu an interesting character, I think he could do wonders with the one-note Doomsday.

I've always thought a being called Doomsday should be a more metaphysical menace, something that can't be defeated by beating it up. That seems to be where Morrison is going with Superdoom. What if, in fact, Superdoom was what killed Superman in the New 52? (We know he still died, as it was vaguely referenced in Swamp Thing).
    Two Problems with Doomsday.

1. Since he was mainly created to kill Superman it made hit hard for writers to think of something to equal to that.
    2. Since he can adapt it made i harder for writers to think of ways he can lose without it being bad writing.

It's certainly an intriguing idea. I was never much a Doomsday fan either.

Quote Originally Posted by FirestormTheNuclearMan View Post
    Two Problems with Doomsday.

1. Since he was mainly created to kill Superman it made hit hard for writers to think of something to equal to that.
    2. Since he can adapt it made i harder for writers to think of ways he can lose without it being bad writing.
    Also, he was just a bad character.

You're preaching to the choir here--no need to do that.

Virginia, United States Of 'Merica, bitches!!!

Seeing as about 90% of the original Death and return story is now gone anyhow, I actually would be for this. It would be better than trying to hold on to the original elements and trying to shoehorn them into the new history, especially how the true core of the storyarc, "FUNERAL FOR A FRIEND" is pretty much completely nixed now that the Kent's have always been dead and Lois and Superman did not have a romantic relationship, not to mention the rest of the then supporting cast which likely no longer exists. Without "Funeral" you have a big fight bookended by a James Cameron-esque blockbuster without the emotional resonance of the middle act that made the whole event work. No heart or soul to it anymore. The SuperDoom thing would be original at least.

However, I think that Morrison's power is being overstated here. Yes, he does have a lot of pull, but at the end of the day, he is still an employee at DC. For instance, knowing Morrison's love for "old school" Superman, I doubt he was completely thrilled with the idea of putting Superman in body armor. However, as TPTB, namely Jim Lee and Dan DiDio wanted to put all the big 7 heroes in similarly designed armor , I doubt Morrison had much say over the matter, so he had to put Superman in it once ACTION got to it. Apparently corporate has decided to keep "Death" in the continuity in some fashion, most likely because the bean counters wanted to keep it in as it is DC's all time best selling Graphic Novel, and when you follow the money, those that have made the most money have tended to be the stories that remained as a part of the DCnU, thus why most of Batman and nearly all of Green Lantern history remains. Also, to be honest, the "Death" story itself would not be all that hard to squeeze into the DCnU with a few changes here and there, it's mostly everything ELSE that has to be altered. So, most likely, Doomsday is still a part of the DCnU, and still killed Superman, and somehow Clark's return will still tie into the "death" of Coast City and Hal's turn to evil. The bean counters likely have already determined that. Gotta keep those graphic novels in print and selling, especially that the 20th anniversary is coming this November.