Default A quick question about title page blurbs

Hey-
    This is a really random question, but one I think the commenters here are uniquely qualified to answer.
    I have a wedding coming up, and we are doing, rather than numbered tables, superhero tables. So, for example, you would be seated at “Captain America” and there would be a comics cover and a brief write-up as a part of the centerpiece.
    So, to do these write-ups, I want to use the actual summaries appearing in the comics (e.g. “When millionaire industrialist Tony Stark, inventor extraordinaire, garbs himself in solar-charged, steel-mesh armor, he becomes the world’s greatest human fighting machine.”). What are they called? In Marvel books, they tended to be on the first page with a big “Stan Lee Presents.” I have had a hard time finding many of them online. If anybody knows these little write-ups off the top of their head or has a tip for how to find them, I’d appreciate it! I am looking for pretty much the big Marvel and DC heroes, as well as Orion, Miracleman and Mister Miracle.
    Thanks!

Within Marvel books, you can almost always find the title blurb on the recap page. Not sure about DC, but you could probably find them in back issues, floating around discount bins or Google Image Search.

As for more obscure characters like Miracleman and Mister Miracle....not sure, sorry.

Here are a couple for you that I could dig from my own collection:

While attending a demonstration in radiology, student Peter Parker was bitten by a spider which had accidentally been exposed to radioactive rays. Through a miracle of science, Peter soon found that he had gained the arachnid's powers... and had, in effect, become a human spider... THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN

1940! As the world teetered on the brink of global war, frail Steve Rogers entered a secret laboratory and was transformed into the American super-soldier! For four thrilling years, he battled the Axis powers -- until a freak stroke of fate threw him into suspended animation. When he awoke, he was a man decades out of his time! Since that fateful day, Steve Rogers has sought his destiny in this brave new world!
    CAPTAIN AMERICA

Caught in the heart of a nuclear explosion, victim of Gamma-Radiation gone wild, Doctor Robert Bruce Banner now finds himself transformed in times of stress into seven feet, one thousand pounds of unfettered fury - the most powerful creature to ever walk the earth!
    THE INCREDIBLE HULK

Cyclops. Storm. Banshee. Nightcrawler. Wolverine. Colossus. Children of the atom, students of Charles Xavier, mutants-- feared and hated by the world they have sworn to protect. These are the strangest heroes of all!
    THE UNCANNY X-MEN
    (roster may vary on that one, of course)

And since I'm not much of a DC man, I had to google these:

Rocketed as a baby from the exploding planet Krypton, Kal-El grew to manhood on Earth-- whose yellow sun and lighter gravity gave him fantastic super-powers! In the city of Metropolis, he poses as mild-mannered TV newsman Clark Kent-- but battles evil all over Earth-- and beyond-- as... SUPERMAN

Orphaned as a child when his parents were killed before his eyes, Bruce Wayne trained himself to wage relentless war against crime as the dread avenger of the night... THE BATMAN

She was born a princess-- daughter of Hippolyta, Queen of the Amazons-- but she left the tranquil groves of Paradise Island to battle evil in a world she never made! She is beautiful as Aphrodite... wise as Athena... stronger than Hercules... swifter than Mercury! She is... WONDER WOMAN

I can't help you with Orion, Miracle Man, or Mr. Miracle, but here's another thread that has a couple more of these (like Doc Strange and FF): http://imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=2032827.
    Last edited by Mormel; 05-13-2012 at 05:30 AM. Reason: you already had iron man

@nerd groom: reposting from cbsg. there’s nice scans of about twenty of '70s marvel splash page headers at the bronze age babies blog: http://bronzeagebabies.blogspot.com/...i-need-to.html. hope that’s helpful. have a great wedding and excelsior!

While it's far too dour for a wedding decoration, Denny O'Neil used his own subversive title blurb for the back-up story in Iron Man 178; "When millionaire inventor Tony Stark discards the invincible armor of Iron Man, he becomes one of a million alcoholics unable to admit their compulsion! Stan Lee presents: The Tragic Tony Stark!" Absolutely brutal, but since Tony was wandering the Bowery by that point, appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by NerdGroom View Post
    Hey-
    I have a wedding coming up, and we are doing, rather than numbered tables, superhero tables.
    You are awesome.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...