Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fate's Faith View Post
    Not saying should be either/or but if given the choice, I'd rather have Vibe over Donna and Wally. Donna especially unless they do give her an uncomplicated origin of some type. Not to say I dislike Donna but of the times I looked in on DC while I wasn't reading I saw her on the Outsiders (I think), a Darkstar (whatever that is), leading the Justice League (that was bad btw) and playing Wonder Woman. Seems to me there's a definite problem with the character working for some reason. I think if the Wonder Woman connection is that problematic then get rid of it. And the reboot allows that. Right after they reintroduce Vibe... along with his solo
    The problem with Donna only really started due to the original Crisis. With WW now 18 or 19 and new to Man's world how did we have a wonder Girl who had been active for all of her teens into her twenties (I mean seriously she was older and more experienced then WW).

Every issue that occurred later to "Correct" this new problem ended up screwing up the character and her fans big time.

The problem wasn't with her character, or her personality. But with DC not having the stones to do what they had originally planned with the Crisis (a full hard reboot). Instead they told a story where almost everything changed but most of the orgin changes didn't truly dramatically alter the timeline of when certain heroes interacted with the rest of the world.

IE Batman still developed at a time where he could have a Robin who had enough time to grow up and become Nightwing, a Flash old enough to have a nephew that could grow up to be Flash himself., ect, ect

The two characters who had the most time change were Superman and Wonder WOmen.

With Superman it destroyed Superboy. But Superboy didn't really interact with much of the larger 2o Century DC universe, that damage hit the Legion.

With Wonder WOmen having her come to man's world as a 18/19 year old when Donna (Wonder Girl was already in her twenties).

Again that wasn't the characters fault, but the management's.

Here, they could have. As the WW reboot had her back to the starting popint of the bulk of the main guys of the DC universe.

The first Vibe also could've been a good character if he'd been written properly. Maybe there'll be a chance here.

Vibe has been gone for decades, so there's no history of editors who like or dislike him. They can start with a clean slate. I find it weird, though, that Johns tends to latch onto certain characters and play favorites with them. I'm all for good characterization, but not at the expense of other characters.

I'm guessing Donna and some other characters will return within 2-3 years. I'm just wondering why the publishers still have creative input. Shouldn't that be the editors' job?
    Last edited by PennyDreadful; 05-14-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Isnt Donna like a Wonder Woman clone? I never imagined people cared about her. She's more boring than Barry Allen if that was even possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Isnt Donna like a Wonder Woman clone? I never imagined people cared about her. She's more boring than Barry Allen if that was even possible.
    It depends on whose origin of Donna you go with . . . the character was originally the adventures of the younger Wonder Woman (much in the same way Wonder Tot was the baby Wonder Woman), but when DC came up with the Teen Titans in the 1960's, they introduced a Wonder Girl into that group.

The Wonder Girl of the Teen Titans became Donna Troy, with various retconned origins until John Byrne in the late 1990's made Wonder Girl the mirror-image doppelgänger (or whatever term he chose) / twin of young Diana who was created to be a playmate, but then was kidnapped by the Dark Angel and forced to live countless lives that almost always were tragic.

A DC universe without Barry Allen and Donna Troy is a DC Universe I would love

Quote Originally Posted by Badger1701 View Post
    Donna has gone the way of Wally and the boob window. Life goes on.
    I think its high time all three came back. Preferably rolled into the same character.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Zak213 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, do you know what was said during the vibe rebirth april fools joke.
    Man, I dont fully remember. This was a few years back, after all. But if I recall correctly, Johns said that they wanted to tie Vibe and all of DC's other sonic users (Black Canary, Geomancer, ect) into one larger power source; akin to the Speed Force. Van Scier said he had been working on new and interesting ways to visualize Vibe's powers, and both had been working to explore new applications for those powers. Oh, and some deep dark secret hidden in his past of course.

Now, I dont expect any of this to actually happen. Like I said, it was an April Fool's joke. So I wouldnt take this and assume any of it will actually come to pass. Hell, thats even assuming I am remembering the interview right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
    A DC universe without Barry Allen and Donna Troy is a DC Universe I would love
    But...but...I like Barry Allen, too! I just like Wally a little bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by mswood View Post
    The problem with Donna only really started due to the original Crisis. With WW now 18 or 19 and new to Man's world how did we have a wonder Girl who had been active for all of her teens into her twenties (I mean seriously she was older and more experienced then WW).
    I don't know who thought it was a good idea to introduce Wonder Woman as just now appearing in the world back then. Bad decision. I was hoping she fought in WWII along side the JSA because she was an immortal Amazon and thus avoid all that. And thus not screw Donna up. But mainly because I liked the idea of her being that longed lived.

I don't know who thought it was a good idea to introduce Wonder Woman as just now appearing in the world back then. Bad decision. I was hoping she fought in WWII along side the JSA because she was an immortal Amazon and thus avoid all that. And thus not screw Donna up. But mainly because I liked the idea of her being that longed lived.
    Yeah, but then Diana wouldn't be seen as a contemporary of the JLA.

(I hated when they wound up retconning the Golden Age Hawkman and Hawkgirl into past JLA members when they later removed the Silver Age Hawks as a result of the new Hawkworld a year or so after CoIE.)

Donna was written well when she was dating Kyle, IMO.

Well the original idea was to have WW start up roughly at the same time as Man of Steel, but no one wanted to do the character. Batman and Superman were getting some serious attention for their relaunch, and WW was just going to go ...nowhere.

When Perez said he would take the plot and the the artistic chores for the character, he asked for 6 months research and planning time.

THere is no question that you can see it in his artwork (compare his fake Greek myth work on Teen Titan, to his researched Greek work for WW). He looked at the mythology from a writers view, but he also researched all aspects of the visual Greek histories (Art, structures, hairstyles, clothing, weapons, ect to try and ground the Amazons into something that would have realistically been formed from a completely isolated universe off Paradise Island).

Now I know George wanted to start WW as a fresh person in Man's world, but I don't know if he originally wanted her to be so far removed from the Big Seven, or if that was just an offshoot of her book coming out long after the Batman Year One, and Supers Man of Steel.And anyone who thinks Donna is a boring character wasn't reading comics during the Perez/ Wolfman period of Teen Titans (you know when they were huge and actually consistently good). Hell I think "Who is Donna Troi" was the best single issue of DC for several years. Seriously they made all the team so well developed that they could tell full stories about the characters and not the "Super Hero". Something that was unheard of during the 80''s for the most part.

The need to change Donna after WW came in, made writer after writer, think they had "Solved" her. And some had good ideas

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Yeah, but then Diana wouldn't be seen as a contemporary of the JLA.

(I hated when they wound up retconning the Golden Age Hawkman and Hawkgirl into past JLA members when they later removed the Silver Age Hawks as a result of the new Hawkworld a year or so after CoIE.)
    Well, I think follow the television route and say she returned to Paradise Island then makes a return to active duty would be nice. Then you get to play with the idea of the world thinking it might be someone different but we readers would know this is the same lady. I just hated to see it assumed her influence didn't matter enough that she could just now be introduced. Besides, I like the thought of using her Amazon immortality in that way and not make it a sacrifice she had to make. And it made her a centerpiece of the world because she had known so many of its heroes. Instead, she's then the new kid on the block. And yes, that was a big mess with the Hawks. Hawkworld was a great reinterpretation of their origins but not to say it just now happened. People complained about how things happen now when back then if they had half a thought they'd just follow through and figure it would work itself out later.

BANNED

Nah, Donna had way more personality than Wonder Woman under Wolfman and Perez.

i take it you haven't read many Teen Titans or Wonder Woman comics?