Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Promethea was kind of bizarre.

Lucifer takes off from the pages of Sandman. Along with everyone else, I'd go there next. The books of magic mini is good, as is v1.

For Hellblazer, start at the beginning. Jamie Delano and Garth Ennis have completely different takes on the character. If you aren't hooked by then end of Ennis's run, you don't need to read further.
    VIVA KUSASAN!!! Morrison On Magneto: I made him into a stupid old drug-addicted idiot. CC had done a lot of good work over the years to redeem the character. And I went in and sh*t on all of it.

Over in the DC forum we've been discussing the early vertigo shared-universe and its place In the Dark line of the New 52: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...nter-in-New-52

I've read a few of the series that fall into this line (Sandman, Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, The Books Off Magic mini, some Shade the Changing Man, a little Lucifer and Animal Man) and was wondering what else was worth reading. Are the Sandman Presents books any good? (I've read the Dead Boy Detectives and Lady Constantine books already) Is the Books of Magic series worth a look? And so on...

BANNED

Makes most sense to go straight into Carey's Lucifer. Not just because it carries on Lucifer's story from when he gave up the rule of Hell in Sandman, but because it's amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by DanShentonLives View Post
    I've read a few of the series that fall into this line (Sandman, Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, The Books Off Magic mini, some Shade the Changing Man, a little Lucifer and Animal Man) and was wondering what else was worth reading. Are the Sandman Presents books any good? (I've read the Dead Boy Detectives and Lady Constantine books already) Is the Books of Magic series worth a look? And so on...
    Sandman Presents are a mixed bag. SP: Lucifer is obviously the standout, but I also enjoyed The Corinthian (even if it builds off a very minor character from the first issue of Sandman, which I missed the first time I read it) and Love Street (which is more of a John Constantine story anyway). SP: Petrefax is the only one that I would say is actually poor.

Books of Magic is a solid series. The first two years of John Ney Rieber's run are very good, but then he goes off the rails a little bit and begins to focus the book on Molly O'Reilly more than Tim. Peter Gross' run is exceptional-- I really wish this would get reprinted. Dylan Horrocks' Names of Magic mini is weak, but after a merely decent first arc set on Gemworld, Horrocks' Hunter: The Age of Magic becomes a strong book. I really liked Books of Magick: Life During Wartime, but because of the slow start and somewhat impenetrable set-up, people fled from the book in the first few issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Sandman Presents are a mixed bag. SP: Lucifer is obviously the standout, but I also enjoyed The Corinthian (even if it builds off a very minor character from the first issue of Sandman, which I missed the first time I read it) and Love Street (which is more of a John Constantine story anyway). SP: Petrefax is the only one that I would say is actually poor.

Books of Magic is a solid series. The first two years of John Ney Rieber's run are very good, but then he goes off the rails a little bit and begins to focus the book on Molly O'Reilly more than Tim. Peter Gross' run is exceptional-- I really wish this would get reprinted. Dylan Horrocks' Names of Magic mini is weak, but after a merely decent first arc set on Gemworld, Horrocks' Hunter: The Age of Magic becomes a strong book. I really liked Books of Magick: Life During Wartime, but because of the slow start and somewhat impenetrable set-up, people fled from the book in the first few issues.
    Cheers :) is the SP: Lucifer printed in the first volume of the Lucifer trades? If so I've read that already. I would like to read the Corinthian and Love Street one, was thinking about the Thessaly ones also...

Sandman Presents are a mixed bag. SP: Lucifer is obviously the standout,
    i thought that was quite poor and had a crappy deus ex machina magic ending. The poor quality of that Maoist made me give up on Lucifer after the first TPB.

SP: Petrefax is the only one that I would say is actually poor.
    That's harsh. The art is pretty mediocre, but I thought it was okay - if a little run of the mill.
    I really liked Books of Magick: Life During Wartime, but because of the slow start and somewhat impenetrable set-up, people fled from the book in the first few issues.
    I really liked the first tpb of that. I wish they'd collect the rest. In the meantime I'm still waiting for a cheap set to pop up on eBay.

You can't go wrong with Preacher.

Read Shade The Changing Man

You'll totally fell in love with characters after 10th issues.

Reading Shade is like joining a family. I remembered i was crying like a child after 50th issues... Also cry for fate of George...

Sorry, but Shade the Changing man much better writing than Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by goRimbaud! View Post
    Sorry, but Shade the Changing man much better writing than Sandman
    You had me, then lost me by trashing Sandman for no reason.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

How has anybody not recommended the 70 issue masterpiece that is Sandman Mystery theatre? Does great things with a minor JSA character and made him my favorite DC character overall.

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    You had me, then lost me by trashing Sandman for no reason.
    I just wanted to het you up. No trashing. Two amazing book. For me, one is better.

Here's the my question:

How is the Dreaming series. Wanna read it. Is it good or what is it? I dont have any idea.

What did everyone make of the House of Mystery reload featuring Cain and Gregory from the Sandman series?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_Teeth View Post
    What did everyone make of the House of Mystery reload featuring Cain and Gregory from the Sandman series?
    I like the Vertigo series it lead to. The House just popped up again in Justice League Dark.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    Hi, I'm about to read the last volumes of Sandman and was wondering which Vertigo title to start reading after that. So far from Vertigo I've read Fables up to vol.16, Sandman, Death: The High Cost of Living and Death: The Time of Your Life. I've checked what other titles there are in Vertigo's stable and I found the concepts of Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina, Lucifer and American Vampire to be interesting. Of those which is closer to Sandman, not in theme and tone, but in quality. To say it differently, Sandman offered me a depth, most comics don't have. Which of these Vertigo titles is more likely to have a similar effect? In addition how good are The Chill, The Witching Hour, Kill Your Boyfriend and Pride Of Baghdad? Thanks in advance!
    Have you tried The Unwritten? Closest to sandman of any other vertigo titles I've read. - Same creator (s?) as Lucifer. I liked Promethea a lot, but it got exhausting. JH Williams III did the art and he is my favorite.
    Batman, Batwoman, Batgirl, The Unwritten
    Ult. Spider-Man, Daredevil
    Manhattan Projects, Secret, Mind the Gap, Fatale, Saga
    Tumblr

I would actually avoid Y the last man. It's such a good book but The ending is just... Well I don't think I will describe what act being inflicted on you it is like, but it's an unpleasant one.