Default Voltron 2011: Was this really what they wanted?

I'm a 80's kid, I grew up watching all those old 80's cartoon shows and some of the older stuff still in reruns but a few cartoons from that period always standout as the best or most awe inspiring for whatever reason, Voltron was one of them. I'm not going to try and convince anyone or myself that the original show was the best thing ever and had no flaws because I'd be wrong but back then as a young impressionable child who didn't know any better it was fantastic. Now as a adult, and having just (10 minutes ago) seen the 2011 version or attempt at jump starting the series again all I can say is, "Is this really what the producers wanted?"

Visually: This is probably my most disappointed aspect of this new version. With shows like Thundercats 2011, and 2000's He-Man, I expected a lot better from anyone who picked up the rights to Voltron and tried to make a new show out of it. I don't even know where to start with how bad this looked, call it what you will it looked every bit as boring and kind of hokey as I'd expect anything that came off as trying to be edgier or more hip/cool than the original would be. This isn't to say that I couldn't appreciate a more update version of the show, but what was going on in the part of it that I saw looked very dreary.

Story: From what I gathered, it didn't sound all that cheesy, but was kind of stale and im pretty sure even without seeing the entire series or what was available I already knew the cause of the major plot and if I were wrong then by all means I apologize. Still what surprised me was how they portrayed Voltron as super aggressive, at one point the fused Lion form bares its sword against Lothor at his palace ready to strike him down, and weirdly enough Lothor drawing his sword as if he was about ready to dual a giant Robot while standing on his Balcony... O_o? really what the ****? Then apparently Voltron kills him and destroys the entire palace? Since when does Voltron go all wrecking ball on your house/body Lothor!

Has anyone else set through the entirety of the current series/season, and if so is this so watchable or better yet does it redeem itself and successfully continue the fandom of the original lion based Voltron?
    Rogue and Bishop's daughter would be called Discharge, and she'd touch people and drain all or some of their bioelectrical energy out of them causing them to either die or fall unconscious. She could then use this energy to extend her own life, heal herself, enhance her physical abilities (speed, strength, stamina,) or discharge it as various energy beams.

I didn't like it as a kid, liked Robotech.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I didn't like it as a kid, liked Robotech.
    It is possible to like bth: I did.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    It is possible to like bth: I did.
    I wasn't questioning that, i don't think at least.

I'm a big Voltron fan, but I've heard nothing but bad stuff about the new show.

On another note, I've actually been enjoying both new comic series quite a bit. The main series has an interesting take on the concept and Year One is a pretty cool special ops look at the Voltron Force.

I loved Voltron as a kid and watched the old American lion version of Voltron on a American Asian channel last year, and dear god, did it suck. The dialogue was the worst part about it. Then I saw the Japanese version on Netflix, got it, and man was it so much better. The dialogue made much more sense, and they didn't cut out any of the scenes, like the American version did(because it had blood and adult language in it).

I saw the first episode of the new show, and didn't like it. Bad art, bad new characters, and main story. My 8 year old nephew on the other hand, loves this show and has become a huge Voltron fan. So as to your question, the fact that my nephew loves this show means yes, this is really what they wanted. As the new show is aim at boys 5-11, I would think, and not adults.