Thread: Power Batteries

Default Power Batteries

Something that has been bothering me for a while. We've seen that power batteries do not necessarily have to look the same ( Indigo tribe and Kyle's battery). In the last issue of New Guardians Kyle even mentions the Indigo tribe never has to worry about running out of energy. My question is have the writers ever touched upon the problem of Green Lanterns running out of energy? We've seen the whole pocket dimension thing a few times but I don't remember it having been used in battle. That aside why hasn't something just made a battery that is a back pack, watch or belt? Would be nice for at least an explanation as to why this hasn't been tried, even if it's a lame excuse like the power batteries can't be shaken like old school CD players.

Quote Originally Posted by [Trigger] View Post
    Something that has been bothering me for a while. We've seen that power batteries do not necessarily have to look the same ( Indigo tribe and Kyle's battery). In the last issue of New Guardians Kyle even mentions the Indigo tribe never has to worry about running out of energy. My question is have the writers ever touched upon the problem of Green Lanterns running out of energy? We've seen the whole pocket dimension thing a few times but I don't remember it having been used in battle. That aside why hasn't something just made a battery that is a back pack, watch or belt? Would be nice for at least an explanation as to why this hasn't been tried, even if it's a lame excuse like the power batteries can't be shaken like old school CD players.
    You must be new to comic books. It use to happen all the time that Hal didn't recharge within 24 hours, or some special force was sapping all the energy from the rings and batteries. Not quite as silly as how many common thugs found Kryptonite and used it against Superman, but . . .

I didn't mean someone draining their powers, because that's also been done recently when Sodam yat was draining to power rings in Emerald Warriors. I meant when they are running low on energy and they are close to 3% and they start trying to conserve it because their powers batteries are on the other side of the universe, as opposed to an Indigo Lantern who will always have it with them and just recharge on the spot.

I didn't mean someone draining their powers. I meant when they are running low on energy and they are close to 3% and they start trying to conserve it because their powers batteries are on the other side of the universe, as opposed to an Indigo Lantern who will always have it with them and just recharge on the spot.
    I think most of the GL's frequently had there's within reach (but not necessarily in sight), courtesy of the power of the lanterns.

I guess maybe they did carry them around more during v2, I've never read it so I can't comment on that run. Majority of the Johns' run (to my memory) doesn't have them with their batteries close to them. During kyle's run they were shorter stories so it wasn't as a big of a deal and eventually he turned into ion and later changed his ring so that was even less of an issue.

I guess maybe they did carry them around more during v2, I've never read it so I can't comment on that run. Majority of the Johns' run (to my memory) doesn't have them with their batteries close to them. During kyle's run they were shorter stories so it wasn't as a big of a deal and eventually he turned into ion and later changed his ring so that was even less of an issue.
    And I actually haven't read a lot of Johns' run . . . from around Blackest Night to War of the Green Lanterns.

But I did read a lot of the 1970's and 1980's . . . and even some of the 1990's, until about a year after Hal went Parallax.

The whole Keepers arc in GLC was about the retcon of where the power batteries were stored.

Yeah. I'm more interested in knowing if the series has ever played with using something other than a source that looks like a lantern like the Indigo have. And if not why they haven't tried.

hal jordan used an hologram from the guardians for recharge after coast city was destroyed.

Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar

That aside why hasn't something just made a battery that is a back pack, watch or belt? Would be nice for at least an explanation as to why this hasn't been tried, even if it's a lame excuse like the power batteries can't be shaken like old school CD players.
    Nothing explained but the simplest solution I can think of is because the Guardians don't want it. They want controllable servants, not ones that can easily go rogue. But controlling the Batteries, they ensure that any rogue Lantern will eventually lose power unless they manage to steal it from the Oans. Just a thought.
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!