Page 78 of 667 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128178578 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 10001
    Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell's Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Rivia, finally speaking up, "So, how long are we stuck here for, truthfully?"
    "Most likely? If you progress well, a year."

Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post
    "Woah, really?" Boss asked. "No one to help you out or assist you or or anything?"
    "Not at the moment."

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Eisen looked around. "This entire facility is automated?"
    "Somewhat, yes."

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'yleh View Post
    "Enough for me to pay someone to modify my sword? And make a dorm room of my choosing cozy? He interjects? And on the matter of weapons, are we allowed to carry them around the academy, or are they for training purposes only. What about the use of our abilites. Can we only train during 'school'?" He interrupts quickly. He has a lot of questions he wants answered.
    "The stipend is only for those who's families depended on them to help feed them, like Mr. Rathberg. As for carrying your weapon about, it is allowed, but using it is only allowable during training exercises and the like. Using your pwoers in an offensive manner outside training is prohibited, unless your life is at stake or immenient danger is near."

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    Perhaps it was her upbringing, or maybe even her issues with her self-consciousness, but she found herself in the minority of those not wanting to know what their dossier mentioned.

Certainly it wasn't be as elaborate as everyone else's.

"Do you have a does the academy have a library?"
    "Yes, but it is off limits for the moment. Only the dorms and the main Academy hall behind me are usable. Everything else is off limits."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin M. View Post
    "How about food? Dose this place have a kitchen, or a resturante of some kind?" Norma asked.
    "There is a kitchen and mess hall, no need to worry on that regard."

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    "Great, I'm going home then. I have perfect control." And he walks right into the tangler field he knew full well was there.
    Only to be shocked by the tangle field and blown backwards. Not unconscious, but stunned.

"You have control when I say you do. Please remember that."

Quote Originally Posted by FalconX2000 View Post
    "Understood, Tantalus-sensei."

Naturally, everyone had a lot of questions. The large man had come ready though, and answered them all with calm and deft professionalism. Kyra could respect that. Maybe not make friends with that attitude, but with a teacher, respect was more important.

"No staff? So we handle our own meals? Robots clean the premisies?"
    "Correct. As for cleaning, that is our responsibility. This Academy was created before cleaning-bots were placed, so we'll be doing the cleaning ourselves."

Quote Originally Posted by WyldCard4 View Post
    Out of her pocket, Samantha produced a pair of markers.

"Well, if I don't have you confused with someone else, you're one of the best of the Paragons. I'm one of the worst Empowered you'll meet, a first day student." She tosses him one of the markers. "First blood, metaphorically. First one of us with ink touching the others skin wins. You get to put the cocky student in her place and show us what you're made of if you win. I'm not going to win. You get to show us how you're so sure this system hasn't gone wrong in a thousand years. Seems like a proper learning experience. Shouldn't take long. I'm not even that fresh, considering the hike up here. Isn't this the kind of experience that would teach us to respect your authority?" She gives him a smile. Not a cocky one, actually. It seems slightly embarrassed. "Sorry, blame Daddy, but I kind of like to see a person in action before I trust them. Lies are free, after all, and I want to see if you've got anything sincere." She pauses for a moment. "Oh, and no tech or outside help, either. That would be too easy."

Gulliver looked at the marker in his hand before tossing it back to her.

"I feel no need to prove myself to you at this time, Miss Van Clef."

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    "How about you let me take that place?" He said, literally skipping to her side. Sure, he had promised that other girl the first fight, but this was just something else.

"Oh, and you can forget about the no tech, no help thing if she gives me her place," he added, looking at Gulliver. "'It'd be no fun."
    "No thank you. As I said, I feel no need to prove myself."
    Black Knight of SO
    Co-COTM for Feb 2006
    The Midnight Rider.
    Owner of SO's W/I Shop.
    Bearer of the Rumbles Matrix of Leadership

Wins on CBR

Strrrrrrrrrrrrex mailedbypostman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    "Picked a shape and style I like, picked the features I wanted, and then the parts were forged and assembled. Helix shape, two handed, interlocking scales forming the edge which, when slightly open allow fire to emerge from the sword. Made out of nearly indestructible metals, acid edged, then edged again more finely with lasers. Hilt was designed and embedded with anti-grav repulsors so that when I hold the hilt it feels light as a feather in my hand, but allows the full weight of it to come down on whatever I strike. It also recognizes my unique genetic markers and will only work for me. In fact, if any one else grabs it the anti-grav technology goes in reverse making the whole thing exceptionally heavier, and it heats up considerably to burn the palms of any would-be thief. It was a 13th birthday present and my most prized possession," Vi explained. "It's supposed to be one of a kind."
    Keldian looked at the girl with a small smile.

"That sounds very...versatile. For what purposes do you require such a fancy piece of equipment?"

Sure sounds like she wants to be special.
    Strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrex

What's Best For Business Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    King scratched his hair, then put his head down before sighing

"It's real embarrassing but dude was one of the few people who I will ADMIT, use to be able to whoop my a$$ on a regular basis and believe me there aren't that many who can do that and I use to help him keep the place clean, get his materials for the school he teaches at etc and cook. Basically just help him stay sane or something you know? Nothing dirty just help him not go nuts. I ran away once for like a week and came back to him looking like a hobo in a business suit"
    Repressing a small sigh of relief, she nods. "I can do that. Just tell me where he lives and I'll do what I can."

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell's Brigade View Post
    Only to be shocked by the tangle field and blown backwards. Not unconscious, but stunned.

Takeshi grunts and winces, then turns around. "And what if I go out of my way to fail spectacularly on purpose, sabotage your efforts? You said if something goes wrong you'll pay for it too. What if I'm willing to suffer just to take you with me?"
    Hey! No one's asking you to smell it.

Quote Originally Posted by mailedbypostman1 View Post
    Keldian looked at the girl with a small smile.

"That sounds very...versatile. For what purposes do you require such a fancy piece of equipment?"

Sure sounds like she wants to be special.
    "No special purpose, save the purpose of all swords. I wanted something that would retain its functionality while increasing its lethality. And until now I did not know that such a weapon would be considered 'fancy'," Vi said. "I did not intend for it to come across as such."
    A lot of people get sentience confused for sapience. Your hamster is sentient, you are sapient. Intelligence is sapience.

"No special purpose, save the purpose of all swords. I wanted something that would retain its functionality while increasing its lethality. And until now I did not know that such a weapon would be considered 'fancy'," Vi said. "I did not intend for it to come across as such."
    "I'm sure you didn't intend to do so," Keldian conceded.

"It's just...creating it out of tough, solid, composites and polished to be incredibly sharp I can understand, as well as allowing you to use your powers, but really, helix shape? Anti-gravity tech inside the hilt of the sword? Carved from acids and lasers? Keyed to your genetic signature?"

He shook his head.

"You certainly are fortunate to have people who can afford to spend so much money on extravagant features like that."

I can see why Sloane might resent her.

Anti-Matter Eyes Eternal Torment's Avatar

"Alright, let's just drop that line of thought." Sloane gave Samantha an annoyed look. "Seriously, Van Clef."

Keldian noted this interaction with some diappointment.

"Damn."

Suppose he's not interested in being manipulated into an ego contest.

"Thank you," Vi said. "I rather like it."

OT: Gladian?

OOC: Gladian, gladine... You know, "swordish."

"Most likely? If you progress well, a year."

"Not at the moment."

"Somewhat, yes."

"The stipend is only for those who's families depended on them to help feed them, like Mr. Rathberg. As for carrying your weapon about, it is allowed, but using it is only allowable during training exercises and the like. Using your pwoers in an offensive manner outside training is prohibited, unless your life is at stake or immenient danger is near."

"Yes, but it is off limits for the moment. Only the dorms and the main Academy hall behind me are usable. Everything else is off limits."

"There is a kitchen and mess hall, no need to worry on that regard."

"Correct. As for cleaning, that is our responsibility. This Academy was created before cleaning-bots were placed, so we'll be doing the cleaning ourselves."

Eisen listened intently, committing everything to memory. She frowned a bit as she learned that the library as off limits - she had been looking forward to gaining access to actual literature for once.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

What's Best For Business Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

As Tantalus speaks to the other students, Maxana stands off by herself, clutching her designer handbag to her chest. Never before has she ever been harassed like the way she was a few minutes ago. She doesn't even know how to describe it; just thinking about it makes her cringe. And Ramilia quickly coming to the defense of the culprit, this King boy, makes her even more unnerved. It's clear he assaulted her, and her own bodyguard and confidant just disregarded it as if it was some sort of natural occurrence.

The nerve of some people.

She hasn't been here for five minutes and she already wants to go home. But Father says she can't, that she has to stay here and learn to use her powers to their maximum. Bah, what a bunch of nonsense. It isn't like she plans on using her powers anyway, so what's the point of being here?

Not only that, but why should she even be here, with all these other people? You mean to tell her that her father, Josef Lindström, most powerful businessman in Eden, couldn't pull some strings and get her a private teacher, so she could hone her abilities from the comfort of home? "Nonsense. This, all of this, is utter nonsense," she mutters to herself.

Quote Originally Posted by mailedbypostman1 View Post
    "I'm sure you didn't intend to do so," Keldian conceded.

"It's just...creating it out of tough, solid, composites and polished to be incredibly sharp I can understand, as well as allowing you to use your powers, but really, helix shape? Anti-gravity tech inside the hilt of the sword? Carved from acids and lasers? Keyed to your genetic signature?"

He shook his head.

"You certainly are fortunate to have people who can afford to spend so much money on extravagant features like that."

I can see why Sloane might resent her.
    "Actually, it was free. They were testing out new weapon types and designs at the weapons research and development department. They were making such things anyway, it seemed an easy way to cash in and help contribute to the designing process and test out these features. I was one of a group of thirteen testers, each who got to choose the features for their own swords. Because of my choices they were able to catch several problems with the anti-grav technology before it was implemented in similar weapons. Though I suppose even so it may be viewed as a bit excessive for a second birthday present. But I was so good after I had to give up my pony and my computer, and after my toy rabbit broke I didn't have anything else of my own," Vi said. She came from a wealthy family, but she had never been showered with presents and gifts. Besides clothes, and the toy rabbit she had since before she could remember, she had only ever received three things. But now she felt guilty for them. She didn't want to apologize for her one last special thing.
    A lot of people get sentience confused for sapience. Your hamster is sentient, you are sapient. Intelligence is sapience.

"Actually, it was free. They were testing out new weapon types and designs at the weapons research and development department. They were making such things anyway, it seemed an easy way to cash in and help contribute to the designing process and test out these features. I was one of a group of thirteen testers, each who got to choose the features for their own swords. Because of my choices they were able to catch several problems with the anti-grav technology before it was implemented in similar weapons. Though I suppose even so it may be viewed as a bit excessive for a second birthday present. But I was so good after I had to give up my pony and my computer, and after my toy rabbit broke I didn't have anything else of my own," Vi said. She came from a wealthy family, but she had never been showered with presents and gifts. Besides clothes, and the toy rabbit she had since before she could remember, she had only ever received three things. But now she felt guilty for them. She didn't want to apologize for her one last special thing.
    Keldian nodded slowly. His opinion seemed unchanged.

So this is what the wealthy live like. What I could have lived like. Ponies and expensive status symbols.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    Takeshi grunts and winces, then turns around. "And what if I go out of my way to fail spectacularly on purpose, sabotage your efforts? You said if something goes wrong you'll pay for it too. What if I'm willing to suffer just to take you with me?"
    Gulliver shrugs.

"I lose part of my salary and get a reprimand. You die. Sound like a fair trade to you, Mr. Takeshi? Because that's the penalty for failing in one of the Academies."
    Black Knight of SO
    Co-COTM for Feb 2006
    The Midnight Rider.
    Owner of SO's W/I Shop.

Wins on CBR

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    As Tantalus speaks to the other students, Maxana stands off by herself, clutching her designer handbag to her chest. Never before has she ever been harassed like the way she was a few minutes ago. She doesn't even know how to describe it; just thinking about it makes her cringe. And Ramilia quickly coming to the defense of the culprit, this King boy, makes her even more unnerved. It's clear he assaulted her, and her own bodyguard and confidant just disregarded it as if it was some sort of natural occurrence.

The nerve of some people.

She hasn't been here for five minutes and she already wants to go home. But Father says she can't, that she has to stay here and learn to use her powers to their maximum. Bah, what a bunch of nonsense. It isn't like she plans on using her powers anyway, so what's the point of being here?

Not only that, but why should she even be here, with all these other people? You mean to tell her that her father, Josef Lindström, most powerful businessman in Eden, couldn't pull some strings and get her a private teacher, so she could hone her abilities from the comfort of home? "Nonsense. This, all of this, is utter nonsense," she mutters to herself.
    "Life and death is nonsense to you, Miss Lindström?" Gulliver asks. Apparently, she hadn't muttered it quiet enough.
    Black Knight of SO
    Co-COTM for Feb 2006
    The Midnight Rider.
    Owner of SO's W/I Shop.

Wins on CBR

So her name really was Van Clef, he hadn't misheard.

He smiled politely.

"Sir, if we're going to start tomorrow morning, perhaps you could show us where the dorms are?"

He'd rather sleep or wander around than have to hear more people ask questions to which they already knew the answer.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.