Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I do think the cosmetic changes hurt my initial reaction to the series. What I do hope is that structurally at least initially they flashback to events of the island during those 5 yrs. If they make good use of that and have compelling storylines I can forgive name changes.

Sidenote id like to know reason for dropping Dinah as first name and having middle name become first of Dinah Laurel Lance.
    "...The measure of a man is not in what he says, but what he does."

BANNED

I would be more optimistic about this if it didn't have the same freaking creative team as the Green Lantern movie - a movie so bad that WB owned Big Bang Theory dissed it hardcore.

Besides all of that most of the changes announced seem cosmetic cept for maybe the family bit.

Some of the changes sound a bit odd and unnecessary, but Starling City actually sounds cooler.

I really hope they change the names back. Starling City sounds even stupider than Star City and its not like Star City is stupider than Gotham or Metropolis. They wouldn't change those name, why change Star City?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superchick View Post
    I really hope they change the names back. Starling City sounds even stupider than Star City and its not like Star City is stupider than Gotham or Metropolis. They wouldn't change those name, why change Star City?
    Less popular and less well known outside of the geekosphere ?

Still Star City doesn't sound comic booky to me and Starling City does so i don't get the unnecessary change especially if they just went straight to Seattle or Portland instead.

I hope the actor will portray Green Arrow as the better archer than Hawkeye: http://io9.com/5893693/is-hawkeye-fr...s-worst-archer

(Because he is)
    SHSO Squad Name : Danger Loud Prince
    Squad Level : 730+
    Favorite Heroes : Avengers Iron Man / Ghost Rider / Deadpool / War Machine / Avengers Hawkeye / Gambit / Spider-Man Noir

Default I'll be watching...

I'm in. I am eager for a Green Arrow I can enjoy again.

I figured it would be picked up, best news I've heard in the last day or so...
    This signature will self-destruct in five seconds...

Quote Originally Posted by Fan-El View Post
    "Green Arrow" is a better and more distinctive name than "Arrow".
    The amount of people in the real non-comic book aware world who get confused between Green Hornet, Lantern and Arrow would probably be the problem they are anticipating here.
    Honestly, I have even seen a poster over at superherohype say they didn't know who or what the differences between Green Hornet and Green Lantern were.
    Imagine all the Green Grannies out there who are asked to buy a Green Hornet, Lantern or Arrow dvd for birthdays or Christmas...many will come home with the wrong item, and it may not even be their fault, the Green Gofer in the shop will often just reach for the nearest superhero with Green in the title.

I am glad there will be at least one live action superhero from the comics on the box, let's hope it's good.
    Last edited by listenuscrewheads; 05-12-2012 at 08:03 AM.

At least this seems to feature an older Green Arrow than Smallvilles version. That bodes fairly well for the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    At least this seems to feature an older Green Arrow than Smallvilles version. That bodes fairly well for the show.
    It would be great if he came across a bit more mature than the Smallville version.
    This signature will self-destruct in five seconds...

I am more concerned that they will throw out all the fantastical elements of a comic-book world, and the show will end up being a bit dull and similar to any old cop show, like what happened with the Human Target adaptation(although, I only saw a few eps of that show, but that is what it felt like to me).

Even if they don't have super-powers or whatever, they should still have super-villans. I have never read a Green Arrow solo comic in my life, so I have no idea what type of rogue's gallery he has, but surely there are a couple of interesting villans they can bring to the show that would work.

Oh, Paul Blackthorne is going to be in this? Guess I have to check it out...

Default CW: Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by listenuscrewheads View Post
    I am more concerned that they will throw out all the fantastical elements of a comic-book world, and the show will end up being a bit dull and similar to any old cop show, like what happened with the Human Target adaptation(although, I only saw a few eps of that show, but that is what it felt like to me).

Even if they don't have super-powers or whatever, they should still have super-villans. I have never read a Green Arrow solo comic in my life, so I have no idea what type of rogue's gallery he has, but surely there are a couple of interesting villans they can bring to the show that would work.
    If you've never read a Green Arrow solo comic why would you care what the content is? I'm a little confused here.To me Supervillans are what killed Flash many years ago.They were hokey and a desperate attempt to pick up ratings by going camp ala TV's Batman,and it failed.The fantastical elements were a linchpoint of Highlander which is what I think this Arrow is going to look like,but did not overwhelm the show.However, with the success of the over the top slam bang of Avengers who knows what direction this thing will take? That aspect is only limited by what the tv budget will be, and tv to be economical usually has a spending ceiling far below that of major motion pictures.I'm digging some of the cast choices of the few I know anything about.We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    If you've never read a Green Arrow solo comic why would you care what the content is? I'm a little confused here.
    eh, just because I have never read a GA solo comic, doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in reading them, comics cost money, and I have always been poor, so during my comic book buying periods in my life, I have always been very selective.

I have read plenty of comics with Green Arrow in them though, Justice League primarily, and I have actually read solo adventures of his, in ye olden days before he had his own comic, when he had the back-up strip in Detective comics.

edit: Hell, I even have some glossy reprints they did of the GA/GL Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams run, howabout that? Do I qualify to discuss the show now? haha holy sh**

To me Supervillans are what killed Flash many years ago.They were hokey and a desperate attempt to pick up ratings by going camp ala TV's Batman,and it failed.The fantastical elements were a linchpoint of Highlander which is what I think this Arrow is going to look like,but did not overwhelm the show.However, with the success of the over the top slam bang of Avengers who knows what direction this thing will take? That aspect is only limited by what the tv budget will be, and tv to be economical usually has a spending ceiling far below that of major motion pictures.I'm digging some of the cast choices of the few I know anything about.We will see.
    I've never seen the Flash show, they never broadcast it here in the UK on non-cable satellite(ie peasant) channels(again, poor, haha), I tried watching the pilot of youtube, but then the second part of the video didn't work.
    Plenty of super-villans and superheroes worked just fine in Smallville, Micheal Rosenbaum was a fantastic Lex Luthor, you don't necesarily need them to have super-powers to be a great super-villan, they just need to have the grand plans and motives that all great super-villans do.

I guess you must have forgotten about the fact that Smallville managed a steady input of well-adapted super types throughout it's run, and on a modest budget.

edit: oh, and the reason I care, and would want to see a more comic-based approach was expressed in my post you quoted, ie, I want to see an actual superhero show on tv, with super-villans as a match for him, not just the usual run of drug dealers, murderers, etc, that you would get on the countless cop procedure shows we have had littered on our screens ad nauseum...if they looked at super-villans in the books who proved to work well against the protagonist, it will give the show it's own heightened flavour.
    Last edited by listenuscrewheads; 05-12-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pariah-1972 View Post
    Less popular and less well known outside of the geekosphere ?

Still Star City doesn't sound comic booky to me and Starling City does so i don't get the unnecessary change especially if they just went straight to Seattle or Portland instead.
    You just reminded me of a Thor review last year which said that there was a reason that Jane Foster was less well remembered to the general audience than other comic book women like Lois Lane and Mary Jane Watson, the two that had been in multiple blockbuster movies! You have to start somewhere. Star City is never going to be as iconic as Gotham or Metropolis if they just go changing the name on a whim. I loved the star forest in Star City, I thought that gave it an amazing standout point of character and tied into the whole Robin Hood motif just like Batman lives in a gothic cityscape and Superman lives in a bright, futuristic Metropolis. The city reflects the hero.

Another name change that was unnecessary. Thea instead of Mia. Its clear what they were going for. I don't care if they make Mia his sister I care that she's still Mia. I want no Chloe Sullivan crap.