Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Well, at the time of their deaths, Helena and Kara were 16. Back that up 9 years, and Helena would have been 7 when Bruce became Batman. But the Batman story has him training for years before that, and also acting as a unnamed vigilante as well before he officially adopts the Batman persona. So Helena was likely trained as soon as she could walk. Kara meanwhile could have been Supergirl for 5 years or so.
    Try my Blog!

And visit me on Facebook here!

Hey guys, they picked Tony Daniels Hawkman because he had a great pitch. He had a great idea, but it was just executed horribly.

Quote Originally Posted by CagedLeo730 View Post
    From the Justice League Origin arc, you can see that all of them except for Cyborg and Wonder Woman were all active more than 5 years ago. Superman had defeated Brainiac and got the suit. Batman was hounded by GCPD. Hal Jordan was harassed by Air Force. Flash had to deal with the Flash task force. All were basically public except Batman since he did his ninja thing. The 5 year thing is their big "Coming Out" party where they're publicly acknowledged as heroes instead of menaces.
    Honestly, reading the arc, its pretty clear that superheroes are a VERY recent phenomenon. Hell the very first caption of the arc (indeed of the entire DCnU) was "They didn't even know what a 'Super Hero' was".

Batman has clearly been active for a while, though he's largely considered an urban myth. And its pretty clear he's still in the 'Year One' phase because he's being actively pursued by the GCPD (per a reference in 'Tec # 1, he's been around for at least a year prior to the JL arc). Flash has also been active for a while, and so has Green Lantern; long enough to become friends and do a couple of team-ups (Flash has already fought Gorilla Grodd and possibly other villains as well so far). Wonder Woman seems to be a pretty recent entrant into the 'hero' game. And Aquaman has been active, but he's mostly been a rumor (ala Batman). As for Superman...we don't know how much time elapsed between the end of the Action arc and the start of the JL arc, but its likely not been more than a few months (so adding that, plus the 6 months he was active before Action, that's a little under a year).

So bottom line is, most of the heroes have been active for a few months to just under a year by the time of JL.

Anyways, I actually digress from the topic at hand. In the case of the E2 Trinity, the compression wouldn't have been a problem at all if not for Helena Wayne. Unless her backstory (and Batman's) has been completely rewritten, its kinda difficult to rationalize the time frame of her birth and Batman's debut.

Really happy about the no doppelganger rule. I am curious if earlier in the war their were heroes other than the trinity and their legacies, I kind of like the idea that those three showed up and their were no others for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    Well, as with the 5 year time line, it is all just DC trying to be too definitive with this stuff. Whether 5 years or 9 years, it opens the door to this kind of fan speculation and knit picking, of which I am equally guilty. I can't reconcile the E0 Batman only being active for 5 years and having had 3 Robins in that time, plus a kid, and the entirety of his history since COIE all crammed in their, as well. This whole 9 year time frame is much the same as that. Why can't DC just say that the heroes have been on E0 for "a while" and that they have been around on E2 "longer than a while," and stop trying to set everything in stone.
    If they'd gone with vague time in stead of specifics I'm sure fans would be clamoring for an actual time frame.

DC: They've been active for a while.

Fans: How long?

DC: a while

Fans: How long is a while though?

It goes on. I don't think their is any perfect solution to relaunching the heroes in a world without perfectly restarting their stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Oni Squirrel View Post
    Really happy about the no doppelganger rule. I am curious if earlier in the war their were heroes other than the trinity and their legacies, I kind of like the idea that those three showed up and their were no others for a long time.

If they'd gone with vague time in stead of specifics I'm sure fans would be clamoring for an actual time frame.

DC: They've been active for a while.

Fans: How long?

DC: a while

Fans: How long is a while though?

It goes on. I don't think their is any perfect solution to relaunching the heroes in a world without perfectly restarting their stories.
    True enough. In fact, it was in response to a fan's question that Robinson had to give the 'nine years' answer.

-There will be flashbacks to the era of the Trinity.
    Very nice! I was hoping they would be telling some flashback stories of the Trinity :)

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Flash has also been active for a while, and so has Green Lantern; long enough to become friends and do a couple of team-ups (Flash has already fought Gorilla Grodd and possibly other villains as well so far)
    I think that the "gorilla" they fought may not have been Grodd. We'll find out for sure with issue 9 of Flash. He'll be in Gorilla City. It could also just have been Geoff Johns jumping the gun and editorial not catching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Volkditty View Post
    Given that Savage Hawkman is probably not long for this world and Robinson admitting that a meeting between Hawkman and Hawkgirl is "inevitable," I wouldn't be surprised to see the character cross over to Earth 2 permanently somewhere down the road...not like he has anywhere else to go.
    He's got a Trinity of Sin to oppose... or fight for

Quote Originally Posted by NotSuper View Post
    That'd be pretty cool, actually. Back when he was created, boxing was the ultimate "tough guy" sport, whereas now MMA seems to have that niche.

It'd be pretty awesome for Ted to pound a villain's face in before slapping on a triangle choke or kimura.
    No way! I dont want to see Wildcat with a douche tribal tattoo and wearing Tap Out shirts.

You Know the whole point of an alternative earth is lost if the characters on their earth don't exist on our earth

Quote Originally Posted by The Animal Man View Post
    You Know the whole point of an alternative earth is lost if the characters on their earth don't exist on our earth
    Well, technically, the character concepts broadly exist on both earths. There is a Green Lantern, Flash, Hawk(person) and Atom on both earths. There just aren't direct doppelgangers (or rather, the series won't be focusing on them much).

In a sense, this was how the JLA-JSA team-ups worked way back in the early 60's. There weren't any 'direct doppelgangers'...Superman, Batman et all were strictly Earth 1 characters. It was only by the end of the decade that we were introduced to the E2 Trinity, and E2 Dick Grayson. And even so, apart from Robin, none of the direct doppelgangers had a starring role in the JSA appearances in All Star and later Adventure Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by The Animal Man View Post
    If this were the only alternate out there I'd agree, but there's 50 other Earths out there in the sandbox. Its simply one out of 51 where they've made a conscious decision to focus on a group of other characters not represented in the main continuity. Not to mention what bat says is right on in that there's mirror character-concepts. But still for mirror characters right down to the bone, plenty of opportunity for that to be explored elsewhere, and most assuredly will if Multiversity or some form of the idea is still on the table.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-13-2012 at 04:50 AM.

I dont mind that their arent any direct doppelgangers as that would make earth 2 boring. Why should i spend money to see different takes on characters I already spend money on?

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman4 View Post
    No way! I dont want to see Wildcat with a douche tribal tattoo and wearing Tap Out shirts.
    I'm actually quite postitive that Wildcat will be the least changed as far as attire goes for Earth 2. I expect a little change, bu not alot. I picture Wildcat with the same suit, just updated like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman...ect...like the Justice League got updated costumes but still have their traditional ones. I see Wildcate getting that, and then maybe a leather jacket or some other type of tough guy jacket.
    Last edited by _Pandora_; 05-13-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman4 View Post
    I think the MMA skill set would be an interesting twist, but I agree. If that twist comes with the typical trappings of the culture, I would rather see Wildcat be a ballerina than where anything with Affliction across his shoulders......
    Writers before artists.
    Artists before concepts.
    Concepts before characters.