View Poll Results: Which Avenger would be considered WW's counterpart the most?

Voters
34. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Captain America

4 11.76%
  • The Hulk

1 2.94%
  • Thor

27 79.41%
  • Ironman

2 5.88%
  • Black Widow

0 0%
  • Hawkeye

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Predicting success of JLA film vs AVENGERS film

With the success of the THE AVENGERS movie, howabout we predict how DC would do with a JLA movie by taking another look at the individual DC equivalent characters and how well their individual movies have done or will be doing.

The Marvel/DC counterpart list below is based on characterisation rather than any superpower matchup. Like Captain American is matched to Superman because they're both boyscout-ish.:

Captain America -- Superman
    Thor --- Wonder Woman
    Ironman -- Batman
    Black Widow -- Black Canary
    Hawkeye -- Green Arrow, or Roy Harper
    The Hulk -- (Character-wise, Dr. Jekyll & Mr.Hyde.....Visual-wise, Martian Manhunter)

Oh BTW:

I know many WW fans feel that each Avengers character shares a similarity to Wonder Woman, be it their mythos or some other characteristic. Like Captain America and WW share a WW2 period and an American motif, Thor and WW share a mythological background, Black Widow and WW share....etc.

Which Avenger do YOU feel would be the closest counterpart in a significant way?
    Last edited by jancy; 05-11-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Thor.

I've said before, just give chane Asgard for Paradise Island and give the Thor movie a sex change, you're well on your way to a good WW moive.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

Master of Narrative kelly_warrior_princess's Avatar

oh, you almost got me with that thread. It almost seemed like you were talking about a JLA movie (which also isn't going to happen) & then BAM you pulled the old bait & switch. This is just another thread about the non existant wonder woman movie. I wonder how many threads there are about this non existant movie now? An people wonder why the fandom gets mocked for there *ahem* "over enthusiasm."

Is it really necessary to rehash this same thread?

captain america
    I'm a bumblebee. I'm a bee and I need to get back to the hive.

DC can't do a JLA movie because Time Warner has all the rights.

TW also can't do a JLA movie because those rights are all with various subdivisions that are treated as individual companies. Hence no Batvillains in JLU. Or Bruce Wayne in Smallville.

But if they could make one, then the absolute dumbest thing they could do was take the Avengers, look for a DC counterpart for each character, and work with that.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    DC can't do a JLA movie because Time Warner has all the rights.

TW also can't do a JLA movie because those rights are all with various subdivisions that are treated as individual companies. Hence no Batvillains in JLU. Or Bruce Wayne in Smallville.

But if they could make one, then the absolute dumbest thing they could do was take the Avengers, look for a DC counterpart for each character, and work with that.
    Man all this red tape is stupid.

even if all the red tape wasn't an issue, JLA wouldn't work. the avengers didn't just happen, marvel and its associates spent a decade working up to it. and even outside of spider-man and the xmen, which between them created 7 or 8 tentpole blockbusters, ever since iron man 1 they've been leveraging the popularity of 4 individual characters and films (not counting any of the hulks or ghost riders) to create a market for the avengers before the movie even existed.

DC has one successful franchise in batman, but those 3 films are a world of their own, without even the hint of anything else. outside of that, they have nothing right now. (i don't think either superman or green lantern were the flops they're sometimes portrayed as, but they hardly moved anything forward.)

i was a small cog at marvel when they started the whole process up, and i'm not saying they're geniuses, but they had a pretty clear game from the beginning, and took a long view towards executing it. WB has the resources and certainly the talent to do that, but as far as i can see they haven't made any overall plan.

of course, there might be an entirely different path to success, but right now the avengers path is not open.

Default Archetypes

Archetypes. Each team has them:

Captain America & Superman = The Boyscout
    Thor & Wonder Woman = The mythological figure come to life
    Ironman & Batman = The rich smart guy
    Black Widow & Black Canary & Hawkeye & Green Arrow, or Roy Harper = The non-superpowered former government agent

And no Kelly, this isnt another thread about the foiled WW movie. This is a different topic(s).

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    Thor.
    Except that Thor's mythological magic turns out to be high tech. But Wondie's magic is actual magic. And her gods are actual gods, not simply super advanced metahumans.

Funny how no one in here thinks Black Widow is some sort of Marvel counterpart to Wondie, what with the super spy angle and all (Diana was a spy too). Maybe she's more like Black Canary?
    Plus, I don't see how Ironman has any matching features with Wondy??

Kelly and all: Let's discuss the interesting topic of WHY Wonder Woman is DC counterpart to (whichever Marvel hero you feel). Why does 'Coveredinbees' feel Cap is much like Wondy?...
    Last edited by jancy; 05-11-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jancy View Post
    [/B]Black Widow & Black Canary & Hawkeye & Green Arrow, or Roy Harper = The non-superpowered former government agent
    Not really certain how Black Canaray is a) non-superpowered or b) a former government agent. And b) goes for Green Arrow too, of course.

Except that Thor's mythological magic turns out to be high tech. But Wondie's magic is actual magic. And her gods are actual gods, not simply super advanced metahumans.
    I'm not so sure that's true. We're very much in Clarkes Third Law territory.
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Not really certain how Black Canaray is a) non-superpowered or b) a former government agent. And b) goes for Green Arrow too, of course.
    I'm not so sure that's true. We're very much in Clarkes Third Law territory.
    Blackie was a former government agent in SOME incarnations (ie. Birds of Prey show). Roy Harper was a former govt agent, but I just decided to throw in Green Arrow to keep it simple, hoping there's at least ONE Green Arrow incarnation that was ex-govt agent.

As for the Thor gods being metahumans and not actual gods, this is something I heard Marvel fans talking about. So I'm going off of that. I might've also read it somewhere, but forgot where.

Archetypes. Each team has them:

Captain America & Superman = The Boyscout
    Thor & Wonder Woman = The mythological figure come to life
    Ironman & Batman = The rich smart guy
    Black Widow & Black Canary & Hawkeye & Green Arrow, or Roy Harper = The non-superpowered former government agent

And no Kelly, this isnt another thread about the foiled WW movie. This is a different topic(s).

Funny how no one in here thinks Black Widow is some sort of Marvel counterpart to Wondie, what with the super spy angle and all (Diana was a spy too). Maybe she's more like Black Canary?
    Plus, I don't see how Ironman has any matching features with Wondy??

Kelly and all: Let's discuss the interesting topic of WHY Wonder Woman is DC counterpart to (whichever Marvel hero you feel). Why does 'Coveredinbees' feel Cap is much like Wondy?...
    As of this writing, I'm the only guy that voted for Iron Man. The reason I did that is because I thought everyone was going to go with Thor or Capt. America. I don't actually think they have anything in common. My TRUE vote was going to be Capt America.

Blackie was a former government agent in SOME incarnations (ie. Birds of Prey show). Roy Harper was a former govt agent, but I just decided to throw in Green Arrow to keep it simple, hoping there's at least ONE Green Arrow incarnation that was ex-govt agent.
    Mhh. Sounds iffy. Characterising Dinah and Roy as spies is a bit like introducing Black Widow as a ballerina, which she is, at least in some versions.

As for the Thor gods being metahumans and not actual gods, this is something I heard Marvel fans talking about. So I'm going off of that. I might've also read it somewhere, but forgot where.
    The Asgardians are just aliens from another dimension. That do have access to proper, real magic.
    Which doesn't seem to be very different from Wonder Woman's lot. At least some incarnations of them...

THE HULK:

Personally, I wanna make a comment about her similarity to Hulk. I hear fans saying that her strength level is the same as Hulk's. Interesting that she doesn't also have his invulnerability. I see bullets bounce off of him all the time. How's that possible? He's still human.

But more important about Hulk is that I feel his characterization is the OPPOSITE of Wondie, in that his emotions are out of control, while Wondy is IN control. Thanks to the bracelets. But if you remove those bracelets, then she'd probably be going as berserk as Hulk!

Mhh. Sounds iffy. Characterising Dinah and Roy as spies is a bit like
    Government agents. Roy, Checkmate. Blackie, Justice Dept.
    Last edited by jancy; 05-11-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Fine...

Characterising Dinah and Roy as "government agents" is a bit like introducing Black Widow as a ballerina, which she is, at least in some versions.
    The only thing that even remotely points to Roy's involvement with Checkmate is that his Heroclix figure gets the Checkmate and Spy keywords.
    And Dinah only ever was in the failed and wildly unpopular tv series.

I'm really not getting the reaches to equate the JLA members with the Avengers? Archetypes maybe but I'm a little confused by the mental gymnastics in trying to call Black Canary and Green Arrow government agents. Their dynamic is similar to Hawkeye and Black Widow in some senses but definitely not in that way. And chances are if they're doing a JLA movie they'd want to downplay resemblances to the Avengers, not purposefully try and ram their characters into similar molds.