Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 51
  1. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedofLife View Post
    Two things I picked up tonight that have to do with the UU.

    First, there's this, from Spider-Man: Season One:



    And, yes, the Season One books are canon, meaning Morales is officially part of 616.

    Secondly, I came across this conversation on SomethingAwful:

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    E the Shaggy: Nick Spencer has a strange, strange background.

    Skeematic:I thought that his issues of Secret Avengers were really soap boxy. I feel duped by Spencer. Morning Glories is really good (although the last few issues have been a bit iffy), but everything that I've read from the big 2 have been snoozers. Ultimate X-men is horrible, and he admitted to only writing it for the money, and you can tell.
    Isn't this why most people go to work? For the money?

    It's no different to how actors do the big Hollywood films for a paycheck so they can afford to keep doing the smaller indie films that pay next to nothing.

    Whether you've liked Spencers' run on X-Men or not, it's obvious he's put the effort in doing the research into the characters and their history.

    He's taken small story lines from previous issues and really expanded on them as well as making reference to little character moments going back years.

    There is one scene in Fallout with Rogue in a church that really stood out to me showing that he had done his homework where she is talking about the end of days and he referenced the first time she saw Angel & Night-crawler together, likening them to an Angel & Demon.

    Also I can't see him deliberately doing a bad job just for money as that will hurt the numbers for people then going and picking up his creator owned stuff. The reason I checked out Morning Glories is because I was enjoying X-Men, if he'd been doing a bad job I wouldn't have bothered (which is the reason I've been reluctant to pick up Walking Dead).
    ULTIMATE COMICS ~ DC DARK ~ BUFFY/ANGEL ~ GREEN ARROW ~BATMAN/BATWOMAN ~ THE MASSIVE ~ PLUS LOTS OF IMAGE

  2. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balfro View Post
    You, sir, just described an alternate reality. If but ONE thing is different, no matter how insignificant it may be, it's not the same universe. If "close enough" is all it takes to be considered canon with 616 then I'd say Ultimates 3 takes place in the regular MU, by that definition...
    Well Iron Man Extremis is 100% canon, even though it massively changed Iron Man's origin.

  3. #18
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hostile_17 View Post
    Isn't this why most people go to work? For the money?

    It's no different to how actors do the big Hollywood films for a paycheck so they can afford to keep doing the smaller indie films that pay next to nothing.

    Whether you've liked Spencers' run on X-Men or not, it's obvious he's put the effort in doing the research into the characters and their history.

    He's taken small story lines from previous issues and really expanded on them as well as making reference to little character moments going back years.

    There is one scene in Fallout with Rogue in a church that really stood out to me showing that he had done his homework where she is talking about the end of days and he referenced the first time she saw Angel & Night-crawler together, likening them to an Angel & Demon.

    Also I can't see him deliberately doing a bad job just for money as that will hurt the numbers for people then going and picking up his creator owned stuff. The reason I checked out Morning Glories is because I was enjoying X-Men, if he'd been doing a bad job I wouldn't have bothered (which is the reason I've been reluctant to pick up Walking Dead).
    There's doing it just because you know it pays better and then there's doing it because you're passionate about the subject and have stories you want to tell.

  4. #19
    BAMF!!!!! KurtW95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    14,592

    Default

    Miles Morales and Sam Fury shouldn't be introduced to 616.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

  5. #20

    Default

    I haven't gotten Spider-Man Season One, but I definitely plan to. I don't mind easter eggs like this. In fact, I hope it does actually imply that Miles Morales will show up in 616. Part of what I really don't like about him as a character in Ultimate is that he's shackled by being this boring, personality-free replacement character that will always live in Peter's shadow. I think if he shows up in 616 without those circumstances it could be good for him. Perhaps, that's what Spider-Men will lead to. After Peter returns to 616, he seeks out a Miles Morales in his world. I would definitely give that a chance since Miles in Ultimate comics just isn't very interesting.

    As for the comments on Ultimate X-men, I try not to trust anything someone claims a writer has said. It's usually not valid on some levels and even if it was true I doubt anyone at Marvel would ever acknowledge it.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

    X-men Supreme

  6. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Complete Bullshit.

  7. #22
    Just kick it Jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chi-Town
    Posts
    9,969

    Default

    It isn't cannon until Marvel decides it is cannon.
    Any scientist who isn't willing to kill for science isn't really a scientist at all.

  8. #23
    Elder Member BrotherUnitNo_4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    MARYLAND
    Posts
    13,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Spencer View Post
    Complete Bullshit.
    Someone please delete that Nick Spencer rumor.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

    Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

    Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

  9. #24
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Miles Morales and Sam Fury shouldn't be introduced to 616.
    I think your a closet racist. Notice how the 2 people he hates are black. He is not complaining about Hawkeyes costume in the 616 and Agent Coulson being introduced. He told me that he hasn't read the Ultimate Universe recently so how can you hate a character you haven't read. And then there is Sam Fury which I might add that Nick Fury is still alive in the 616. So you can't say you hate Sam Fury because he is Ultimate Nick Fury because he is not. You only hate him because he is black.

  10. #25
    Ultimate Mod! Plawsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    7,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Spencer View Post
    Complete Bullshit.
    Yay! I knew it!
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

    I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

  11. #26
    BAMF!!!!! KurtW95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    14,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coolcatcool View Post
    I think your a closet racist. Notice how the 2 people he hates are black. He is not complaining about Hawkeyes costume in the 616 and Agent Coulson being introduced. He told me that he hasn't read the Ultimate Universe recently so how can you hate a character you haven't read. And then there is Sam Fury which I might add that Nick Fury is still alive in the 616. So you can't say you hate Sam Fury because he is Ultimate Nick Fury because he is not. You only hate him because he is black.
    Clearly you haven't read the Hawkeye threads. I hate the Hawkeye movie costume. I hate a lot of things. And just because I dislike two black characters doesn't mean I'm a "closet racist." I am simply a traditionalist when it comes to comics. I don't want characters who have been around for fifty years to all of a sudden be replaced by different ones just to match the movie versions. Ask me about many things. Just because I have opinion that you don't agree with doesn't make me a racist. I don't like Mary Jane. Does that mean I am predjudice against red heads? No. This just happens to be a touchy subject. I love superheroes of other races just as much as I love white heroes. It's just the replacement that I hate.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

  12. #27
    Poor hacked Diamond Lil. Nevets F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Clearly you haven't read the Hawkeye threads. I hate the Hawkeye movie costume. I hate a lot of things. And just because I dislike two black characters doesn't mean I'm a "closet racist." I am simply a traditionalist when it comes to comics. I don't want characters who have been around for fifty years to all of a sudden be replaced by different ones just to match the movie versions. Ask me about many things. Just because I have opinion that you don't agree with doesn't make me a racist. I don't like Mary Jane. Does that mean I am predjudice against red heads? No. This just happens to be a touchy subject. I love superheroes of other races just as much as I love white heroes. It's just the replacement that I hate.
    It's ok to be prejudiced against red heads though.
    Read about the greatest series ever, Alpha Flight...from the beginning!

  13. #28
    Senior Member Trallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Providence
    Posts
    1,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    I own all of Loeb's work. I loved both the early years and Yellow.
    When I said I really wanted to love Daredevil Yellow I meant Daredevil Season One. I did love Daredevil Yellow

  14. #29
    Senior Member Trallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Providence
    Posts
    1,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Miles Morales and Sam Fury shouldn't be introduced to 616.
    Well it looks like you're too late. Nick Fury retired and his son who looks like Sam Jackson took over and changed his name to Nick Fury and Miles was saved by Spider-Man as a child. The latter actually makes sense. How many peoples' lives has Spider-Man saved. Ultimate Universe generally has the same people in it as the main, and we already know Miles grew up in nyc.

  15. #30
    Moderator Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    23,016

    Default

    The Spencer rumor is pretty shady. You're going with what the friend of someone on Something Awful recalls.

    That's really thin to start a discussion about a writer's character, and to suggest that it reflects poorly on the guy's work.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

    Formerly,
    Cyberman

    Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •