Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Miles Morales in Season One & Nick Spencer Rumor

Two things I picked up tonight that have to do with the UU.

First, there's this, from Spider-Man: Season One:

And, yes, the Season One books are canon, meaning Morales is officially part of 616.

Secondly, I came across this conversation on SomethingAwful:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    E the Shaggy: Nick Spencer has a strange, strange background.

Skeematic:I thought that his issues of Secret Avengers were really soap boxy. I feel duped by Spencer. Morning Glories is really good (although the last few issues have been a bit iffy), but everything that I've read from the big 2 have been snoozers. Ultimate X-men is horrible, and he admitted to only writing it for the money, and you can tell.

d00gZ: Wait, did he actually say that about UXM? I'd love a link.

Skeematic: You'll probably hate me for this because its not actually in print anywhere, just word of mouth. A friend of mine was at the Calgary Expo in April and got a commission from Riley Rossmo (working with Spencer on Bedlam) and they were talking for a while and Rossmo told my friend that Spencer told him that.

So yeah, I guess its kind of a rumor instead of straight out admittance, but it wouldnt suprise me since his mainstream stuff is pretty bad.

Lofidelity Media:This is kind of hilarious since Kirkman basically killed the original Ultimate X-Men for the same reasons.

He used Marvel's money to pay his bills while he pushed all of his talent into Invincible and Walking Dead.

Which, shit, if you're in a place to do that, more power to you.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by SpeedofLife; 05-10-2012 at 09:32 PM.

So I guess if we see him again in the 616 he will be maybe 15 or 16 and hopefully remember being rescued by Spider-Man. Could result in him trying his hand at being a hero. Maybe Marvel's cooking something up for him. It could just as well be a little tip of the hat, but considering the fact that Nick Fury is now Samuel L. Jackson in both Universes, I wouldn't put anything past them.

I don't think it means he is part of 616. I think it's a little easter egg.

The conversation holds nothing but gossip and heresay

Elder Member

I saw that too! Awesome easter egg by Marvel.

As for the rumor. On one hand it makes perfect sense (all of his creator stuff got massive delays and the quality of UCXM is REALLY bad), but on the other it is just a rumor. If it's true Spencer will have gained both some my respect and lost some of my respect.

Yeah I'd say it's an easter egg if anything. The part I don't get is how these stories are considered canon with 616. It's a retelling of the stories and they don't play out the same way as they did back in the 60's. By the very definition that makes it occurring on it's own separate Earth.
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

Elder Member

It's updating them and they are close enough to not screw with anything canon.

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    It's updating them and they are close enough to not screw with anything canon.
    You, sir, just described an alternate reality. If but ONE thing is different, no matter how insignificant it may be, it's not the same universe. If "close enough" is all it takes to be considered canon with 616 then I'd say Ultimates 3 takes place in the regular MU, by that definition...
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balfro View Post
    You, sir, just described an alternate reality. If but ONE thing is different, no matter how insignificant it may be, it's not the same universe. If "close enough" is all it takes to be considered canon with 616 then I'd say Ultimates 3 takes place in the regular MU, by that definition...
    If it was the exact same thing then they could just reprint. It's retconning. Marvel update their heroes origins, brought in new readers, retold GREAT stories, combined a bunch of stories into a big one, and didn't even have to do a line-wide reboot.

If it was the exact same thing then they could just reprint. It's retconning. Marvel update their heroes origins, brought in new readers, retold GREAT stories, combined a bunch of stories into a big one, and didn't even have to do a line-wide reboot.
    I suppose. At any rate, I just read the FCBD version earlier today and might pick up the hard cover now because it was pretty decent. And with a Miles Morales easter egg it has that extra cool factor.

Yeah I'd say it's an easter egg if anything. The part I don't get is how these stories are considered canon with 616. It's a retelling of the stories and they don't play out the same way as they did back in the 60's. By the very definition that makes it occurring on it's own separate Earth.
    Not at all. Its called a retcon. Technically speaking the early issues of FF/X-Men/DD/Spider-Man are in a different continuity now, as these books have replaced them.

I'd more consider it retconning, like when they flashback o Stark in Afganistan instead of Vietnam or ignore Ben and Reed's servicein WW2. Marvel retcons plenty. Although I had the same initial thought as you, Balfro.

Elder Member

I suppose. At any rate, I just read the FCBD version earlier today and might pick up the hard cover now because it was pretty decent. And with a Miles Morales easter egg it has that extra cool factor.
    I still have to read Daredevil, but Fantastic Four was great (and David Marquez was on art duty), and, this is a HUGE deal since you know how I feel about them, X-Men was incredible!

I still have to read Daredevil, but Fantastic Four was great (and David Marquez was on art duty), and, this is a HUGE deal since you know how I feel about them, X-Men was incredible!
    meh, read Man Without Fear by Miller or Daredevil Yellow by Loeb and Sale if you haven't read them. I own Daredevil Yellow and I really wanted to love it. The arts kinda cool, but the story drags especially if you've already read a daredevil early years story. I actually think Daredevil #1 with all it's hokeyness makes him look cooler than DD Season one

I agree and disagree, both respectfully of course. My opinion is that any of these modern retellings of origins that took place in the '60s are totally Canon as long as they don't change things about character's origins, relationships, which enemies they fought and in what order, how they beat them, important revelations, lessons learned, etc. Changed things that are okay with me and should still be Canon are additional fights, additional enemies, new details about how something happened(like describing daredevil's senses better or something), and here's the controversial one: the addition of modern technology like cell phones and the internet. I thought about it when I was reading "Avengers: The Origin". Since in the Marvel Universe time and progress happen at a completely different rate than ours, I don't think it matters if there were cell phones when Peter Parker got his powers. The events that go on in comic books are all impossible and don't really depend on any specific period of time or technological advancement or scientific understanding. The advancements that do count usually only exist in the Marvel Universe anyway, Stark tech, for example.

Even if Miles was just added in there just for fun, there's no reason to say his presence doesn't count because as far as I can see it doesn't contradict anything, or does it? I'll find out.

The Ultimate universe is more about completely re imagining the classic characters and making them make more sense in a time and world similar to ours without taking away the things we still love about the characters. It's a total reboot which we were lucky enough to get without losing the main Marvel Universe

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    meh, read Man Without Fear by Miller or Daredevil Yellow by Loeb and Sale if you haven't read them. I own Daredevil Yellow and I really wanted to love it. The arts kinda cool, but the story drags especially if you've already read a daredevil early years story. I actually think Daredevil #1 with all it's hokeyness makes him look cooler than DD Season one

I own all of Loeb's work. I loved both the early years and Yellow.