Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spider-Man Season One

So I think the book finally released because I saw it in my local comic book shop yesterday. Did anyone else buy it? What's your opinion on it? I had typed up a review when I made the topic a bit ago but when I submitted it, the topic was closed and I forgot to save what I said.

More or less though, I thought it was a weak retelling of Spider-Man's origins. The only origins book I read was the Ultimate line but I felt like there was a lot more impact in that book than in the Season One book. I felt like there wasn't enough interaction with Uncle Ben to make you feel like he mattered a lot to Peter. I did like that they talked for a while but I wanted more. And I felt like it didn't show enough of Peter "enjoying" being Spider-Man before Ben's death to drive home the idea that he should have taken responsibility of his great power.

The art was pretty decent but nothing special in my opinion. The last bit when he was fighting the Vulture was cool though because all the panels were outlined in web and they had snap shots of the fight since Peter was taking pictures while fighting. I thought that was a nice touch.

My main problem with the book however is that I cannot redeem my digital code! The Marvel website keeps telling me the book isn't on sale yet and to try again when it is. What the heck?

It was horrible writing. Definitely not worth the hefty price tag, it should have been given out for free instead.

I was wondering when someone was going to bring this up.

Personally, I agree that this was an okay retelling but it definitely could've been better. It stays as faithful as possible to the original origin story in Amazing Fantasy #15--with a dash of Amazing Spider-Man #1 and the Vulture story from Amazing Spider-Man #2 for good measure--but that's also it's biggest drawback because there were quite a few times in which Cullen Bunn sticks WAY too close to Stan Lee's original wording which can come across as clunky in the wrong hands.

There were, I thought, a couple of nice additions to the story, such as spoilers:
    Peter getting the idea to take pictures and sell them to the Daily Bugle from an earlier conversation he had with Uncle Ben, and how J. Jonah Jameson attended the TV audience during Spidey's TV debut and thus regarded him as a showboating phony right from the start, that it's Aunt May who tells Peter about Uncle Ben's murder, and, of course Uncle Ben's funeral and the second to last scene with Peter at Uncle Ben's grave, telling him how he's now going to live by his example.
    end of spoilers However, there were a couple of things I didn't particularly care for. spoilers:
    For instance, we are told about Peter's debut as a wrestler when he gets introduced on the late night TV show, but we never actually see the wrestling match itself, which in the original story provides a great action set-piece. Likewise, we get a rather pointless and very necessary 3-page scene in which we see Peter's "daydream" about where he pictures his fame as Spider-Man will lead him. Also, I agree that this didn't effectively drive home the point that Peter ignored Uncle Ben's advice after getting his powers, and I think that while his final confrontation with the Burglar was effectively set-up, it was ruined with Peter deciding to monologue his feelings when silent panels and letting Neil Edwards art show emotion would have been far more effective. Also, the new character of Daily Bugle reporter Katy Kiernan? I realize that her story arc is supposed to be that she eventually has a change of heart about Spidey, but she has no motive to smear Spidey as viciously as she does in the beginning. Even Jonah cautions her that they should tone it down somewhat because they can't completely "bite the hands that feeds them."
    end of spoilers

Also, I wonder if this retelling is now official canon because if it is, spoilers:
    that means Miles Morales--the little kid Spidey saved during his battle with the Vulture--has officially been introduced into the 616.
    end of spoilers

Still, in spite of it's faults, I think the overall plot was well put together and the artwork, at times, looked okay.
    Last edited by stillanerd; 05-10-2012 at 05:11 PM.
    --Mike McNulty, aka Stillanerd

Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Also, I wonder if this retelling is now official canon because if it is, spoilers:
    that means Miles Morales has been introduced into the 616.
    end of spoilers
    The Season One novels are supposed to be canon... So that's also the reason why they try to stick closely to the original as opposed to going the Ultimate route.

Quote Originally Posted by Probalus View Post
    The Season One novels are supposed to be canon... So that's also the reason why they try to stick closely to the original as opposed to going the Ultimate route.
    I thought as much. So, yeah, I guess spoilers:
    Miles Morales is part of the Marvel Universe proper now as well as the Ultimate universe.
    end of spoilers
    --Mike McNulty, aka Stillanerd

Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    I thought as much. So, yeah, I guess spoilers:
    Miles Morales is part of the Marvel Universe proper now as well as the Ultimate universe.
    end of spoilers
    If that's the case...

Grade: F-

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

I enjoyed the main part of the book.... but why is the Avenging Spider-man #1 in this? (yes i know its to try to hook new readers) I would have preferred more story or less price and no reprint AVSM #1.

Other than that, I enjoyed it and feel my money was well spent. Looking forward to the next one (Marvel is doing more SM season 1 right?)

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    I enjoyed the main part of the book.... but why is the Avenging Spider-man #1 in this? (yes i know its to try to hook new readers) I would have preferred more story or less price and no reprint AVSM #1.

Other than that, I enjoyed it and feel my money was well spent. Looking forward to the next one (Marvel is doing more SM season 1 right?)
    All the Season One books have some reprint...

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    All the Season One books have some reprint...
    really? Id prefer they not. (this was my first one so....)

Gave it a quick read, thought the whole Season 1 thing meant that it would be one or two decompressed new stories set up during the early days of the character. Not a decompressed origin. And it's... rather sad that Jonah is no longer responsible for the whole Spidey hate thing.
    It felt... unnecessary, really. And confusing. People weren't tweeting ten years ago! Unless 616 Peter is currently 18?
    Last edited by MorningMoon; 05-10-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    Thug: Tell... tell my wife i love her...
    Spider-man: No.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    really? Id prefer they not. (this was my first one so....)
    Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by MorningMoon View Post
    It felt... unnecessary, really. And confusing. People weren't tweeting ten years ago!
    Re-read it in 2016. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
    Re-read it in 2016. Problem solved.
    For this reason, I'm not bothered by anachronisms in flashbacks. It'll match up to the current world soon enough.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

I copied the posts about Miles Morales into a new thread, as that seems like a topic people who would otherwise not care about this OGN might be interested in discussing.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Quote Originally Posted by MorningMoon View Post
    It felt... unnecessary, really. And confusing. People weren't tweeting ten years ago! Unless 616 Peter is currently 18?
    Amazing Fantasy #15 was supposed to take place ten years ago...! Why did it look like the 1960's? So confusing!