Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Impact View Post
    I'd want him to write it, he has some explaining to do. And anyone but Chiang on good girl art.
    I'm sure Rob Liefield would be happy to do it.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Do you guys know if the dude with the spear is wonder woman related.
    Dc: Action Comics/Animal Man/Swamp Thing/Earth-2/Green Arrow/Batman/Threshold/Batwoman/Justice League/Green Lantern/Teen Titans/Superman/Justice League Dark/I,Vampire.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post
    When I was growing up thousands of years ago, annuals used to be REALLY big books. You could knock out someone by hitting them on the head with it. Are they still this way or am I being stupid again? Not wanting to get accused of being a dinosaur again!
    they still are bigger than most

Quote Originally Posted by shingi70 View Post
    Do you guys know if the dude with the spear is wonder woman related.
    Great, even JL freaking Internationl is getting an annual. I think that this is the Olympian, he's WW related yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Doubt you really want an explanation more than you want an official apology along with announcement that the run would be explained as a bad dream and a new writer would begin.
    Indeed.
    10characters

Mark Millar Licks Goats BeccaBlast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Great, even JL freaking Internationl is getting an annual. I think that this is the Olympian, he's WW related yeah.
    That's the August General in Iron, from Grant Morrison's Great Ten series. He's one of what the Chinese government calls their "super functionaries", and the odd name comes from the same sort of translation that makes Coca-Cola and various movie titles sound so odd in Chinese. One of his teammates was called Mother of Champions -- her power was literally to be continually pregnant with short-lived super-warriors. To quote Dave Barry, I am NOT making this up.

Yeah, not one of Morrison's better ideas...

ETA: OOOPS -- the OTHER guy with the spear. Good Lord, of all the things to keep from the Simone run -- Achilles? I hope he brought the two-headed elephant with him at least....
    Last edited by BeccaBlast; 05-11-2012 at 09:30 PM.
    Some days a girl wants to ride ponies. Some days a girl wants to punch tanks. Today ... is a tank day.

Quote Originally Posted by BeccaBlast View Post
    ETA: OOOPS -- the OTHER guy with the spear. Good Lord, of all the things to keep from the Simone run -- Achilles? I hope he brought the two-headed elephant with him at least....
    lol. I had the same reaction (including thinking we were talking about August General at first).

eta: But unlike you apparently, I love the Great Ten. And if I may, why do you think Coca-Cola sounds odd in Chinese?
    Last edited by americanwonder; 05-11-2012 at 09:41 PM.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

Yes i meant the guy with the spear.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Doubt you really want an explanation more than you want an official apology along with announcement that the run would be explained as a bad dream and a new writer would begin.
    No, that's NOT what I want at all. I want a trip through a time machine so this never happened in the first place.

Mark Millar Licks Goats BeccaBlast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    lol. I had the same reaction (including thinking we were talking about August General at first).

eta: But unlike you apparently, I love the Great Ten. And if I may, why do you think Coca-Cola sounds odd in Chinese?
    Some of them are OK -- Ghost Fox Killer, the General and even the Accomplished Perfect Physician are good characters -- and a world full of super people should have Chinese supers -- and they would be at least somewhat controlled by their government.

Then you come across something as ludicrous and stereotypical as Mother of Champions and-- no, just no.

As far as the names -- apparently the Chinese translation comes out "Mouth Happy, Heart Happy" for Coke. I get that Morrison is making a joke about how the languages shouldn't be translated literally -- but it's not that good a joke to keep being used. Just call them the Iron Noble and Dr. Perfect and be done with it.
    Some days a girl wants to ride ponies. Some days a girl wants to punch tanks. Today ... is a tank day.

Some of them are OK -- Ghost Fox Killer, the General and even the Accomplished Perfect Physician are good characters -- and a world full of super people should have Chinese supers -- and they would be at least somewhat controlled by their government.
    I also like Celetial Archer and Thundermind.

Then you come across something as ludicrous and stereotypical as Mother of Champions and-- no, just no.
    She's diffinately ... different. Odd. Not my favorite, that's for sure.

As far as the names -- apparently the Chinese translation comes out "Mouth Happy, Heart Happy" for Coke. I get that Morrison is making a joke about how the languages shouldn't be translated literally -- but it's not that good a joke to keep being used. Just call them the Iron Noble and Dr. Perfect and be done with it.
    Thanks for clarifying. I thought you meant the way Coca-Cola sounds in Chinese, didn't really think about it being translated directly back into English. But, I like most of the names for the Great Ten.

As for WW Annual, how 'bout a WW and Great Ten team-up?
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    She's diffinately ... different. Odd. Not my favorite, that's for sure.

As for WW Annual, how 'bout a WW and Great Ten team-up?
    Doubt Diana would team up with people who are more or less against the notion of free choice, unless there was something they had to beat together...could be amusing to see them argue over that mid battle.

As for Mother of Champions: I could ask why all superhumans need have these easily definable and many times be desirable in effect when they seem to appear randomly? Yes MoC is stereotypical of the Chinese, but at the same time she is still more original in her powers than anything the New52 has produced.

When I was growing up thousands of years ago, annuals used to be REALLY big books. You could knock out someone by hitting them on the head with it. Are they still this way or am I being stupid again? Not wanting to get accused of being a dinosaur again!
    You must be collecting Social Security and be a charter member of AARP. Even when DC had their 100-Page Super Spectaculars (for fifty cents!) back in the early 1970's, you wouldn't even give someone a minor headache by hitting them in the head with one. (Unless you wrapped it around a brick and dropped it from the roof of a highrise.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    You must be collecting Social Security and be a charter member of AARP. Even when DC had their 100-Page Super Spectaculars (for fifty cents!) back in the early 1970's, you wouldn't even give someone a minor headache by hitting them in the head with one. (Unless you wrapped it around a brick and dropped it from the roof of a highrise.)
    I know it was an obscure reference, but if one digs down enough into what I said it might be mistaken for an attempt at humor. Plus, a good swing of a rolled up 100-Page $0.50 spectacular can leave quite a mark I bet!

I know it was an obscure reference, but if one digs down enough into what I said it might be mistaken for an attempt at humor. Plus, a good swing of a rolled up 100-Page $0.50 spectacular can leave quite a mark I bet!
    I own several of them . . . no marks.