Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default You're given 400 million

(a 'variation' on Brewster's Millions)

and two years to initiate a franchise (or franchises) of movies based on the DC Portfolio.

Would you step up to the plate?

If so, how would you go about it?

(and, yes, that's GBP not USD (so around $646 million))

So would this be a simple "what would you turn into a film" question? If so, I wouldn't mind seeing a Teen Titans/Titans -esque movie in the same vein that X-Men: First Class was. That, or Doom Patrol with the craziness that Morrison wrote about.

Take the money and run!
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    Take the money and run!
    This.

OR

Green Lantern Corps:

Hal as Parallax. Enter Guy, John and Kyle plus Sinestro Corps War all in one movie :)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thHorseman View Post
    So would this be a simple "what would you turn into a film" question?
    Not quite that simple, no.

You have to create a viable franchise (or multiples), so you'd need a wider and longer reaching plan and/or business model, hence the huge amount of capital. This is the 'only money' you're directly getting so you'll need to utilise it in a way which would result in good (at the very least) box office results to square off and/or enhance the investment.

If so, I wouldn't mind seeing a Teen Titans/Titans -esque movie in the same vein that X-Men: First Class was. That, or Doom Patrol with the craziness that Morrison wrote about.
    Why not both? With the amount available you could cover the costs for at least 4 such movies.

The overall aim is to set up viable franchises which would make money.

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    Take the money and run!
    The ones who provided the funds would hunt you down and...

So don't run ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Revengeance View Post
    This.
    Don't run, either!

OR

Green Lantern Corps:

Hal as Parallax. Enter Guy, John and Kyle plus Sinestro Corps War all in one movie :)
    For more than $600 million?!

All the eggs in one basket, hmm?

;)

Sinestro Corps War trilogy.

I'd make Catwoman 2 with Halle Berry and if I had any money left over, Steel 2 with Shaq.
    Last edited by ABH-1979; 05-10-2012 at 02:50 PM.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

BANNED

I would make arkam bat movie

How do you make 4 million? Start with 400 million.

Seriously investing in movies is not a good risk. I think many do it as a tax shelter. I'd certainly keep half for myself, but if I was going to invest some of it in WB movies, I'd put it into comedies. I've noticed that comedies have lower budgets and usually make all their money back. For the price of one Green Lantern movie you could make six comedies and probably double your money. WB has a good record on their comedies, so I don't know why they bother with these big blockbusters--I guess they need a tentpole or it's the tax thing.

And there are a lot of comic books that would lend themselves to funny treatments in movies. Maybe instead of making Man of Steel, they should have made Jimmy Olsen.

Quote Originally Posted by An Ear In The Fireplace View Post
    I don't know why they bother with these big blockbusters
    Merchandising. Comedies don't really sell toys, games, books, posters, clothes.

I would spend roughly 200 Million on a Superman, Wonder Woman & Batman movie, setting them up in the same universe with the aim of doing JL, like Marvel did. Only I'd actually have them encounter each other along the way, i.e. Superman shows up in Wonder Woman and both of them show up in Batman.

Then for the Justice League movie (which would be made from the money of the others), it would focus on the three of them and reintroduce GL, and have the villains be whoever killed Abin Sur. Have them come to earth to reek havoc while our new GL learns to ring sling (which he would have to do on earth this time on his own or with the trinity rather than be officially trained at first). Eventually I'd have Mongul show up as the big bag and have the 4 of them fight him off, and have GL go off to the corps at the end for training.

After that I'd do a Flash movie and continue on...

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Don't run, either!

For more than $600 million?!

All the eggs in one basket, hmm?

;)
    What about a Green Lantern live tv series with Kyle or John then? How much would a season cost me? ;P

Quote Originally Posted by DaronK View Post
    Have them come to earth to reek havoc while our new GL learns to ring sling (which he would have to do on earth this time on his own or with the trinity rather than be officially trained at first). Eventually I'd have Mongul show up as the big bag and have the 4 of them fight him off, and have GL go off to the corps at the end for training.
    That's definitely Kyle Rayner.

Quote Originally Posted by An Ear In The Fireplace View Post
    How do you make 4 million? Start with 400 million.
    Depends on the movie(s) and the financial structure set up.

I'd certainly keep half for myself,
    Again, this is the Brewster's Millions approach, so you can not hold on to the money for yourself.

but if I was going to invest some of it in WB movies, I'd put it into comedies. I've noticed that comedies have lower budgets and usually make all their money back. For the price of one Green Lantern movie you could make six comedies and probably double your money. WB has a good record on their comedies, so I don't know why they bother with these big blockbusters--I guess they need a tentpole or it's the tax thing.
    If the comedy was tied directly into the DC Portfolio, you'd be able to do that. Otherwise, you can't.

And there are a lot of comic books that would lend themselves to funny treatments in movies. Maybe instead of making Man of Steel, they should have made Jimmy Olsen.
    Perhaps, and that would be a viable approach for you to use, but, again, you'd need to do more with the capital available.

Basically, in 'Bewster terms':

You're challenged to spend 400 million within 730 days on setting up and producing a viable DC Property movie franchise (or franchises).
    There are some conditions attached:
    at the end of the 730 days, you may not own any assets that are not already yours,
    you must get value for the services of anyone you hire
    you may donate only 5% to charity and and canNOT lose any by gambling
    you may not waste the money by buying expensive goods and then destroying them or giving them away
    you may not waste money by setting up elaborate sets and not using them
    you may not waste money by creating costumes, etc and not using (intentionally)
    you have 30 days to have a script (or series of scripts) perpared and the 730 days starts from the 30th day of the script deadline
    Finally, you're not allowed to tell anyone about the nature of this challenge (which is silly, I know, since it's on this board :P but, basically, it means you cannot tell friends and family what you're doing...).

However, there's a 'wimp clause': should you feel you're not up to the challenge, offering $1 million in cash and "forgetting the whole thing".