Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Artists Like Darwyn Cooke

Hi folks,

I am new to drawing my own comic art and would like to have some advise please. I have found some pictures by Darwyn Cooke and would like to know if there are any other artists who draw like him? Someone told me to look at Tim Sale and Marcos Martin and I have but I would like to know if there are any more please? Maybe you could say that Darwyn's style is retro? It is like he has simplified some of the drawings and they look very striking.

I am sorry if this post is in the wrong section.

The Edward Scissorhands picture reminds me of manga a little bit.

Another great one who draws in a slightly retro style is Bruce Timm. Check his stuff out.

http://www.comicvine.com/bruce-timm/...images/?page=3

Elder Member

YOu might also want to check out Chris Samnee.

http://www.chrissamnee.com/

Thanks for the replies, folks and thanks for the links. Those artists have a very cool retro style as well, especially Bruce Timm. I like how they draw very few lines but you still know what's going on if that makes sense.

Dean Trippe is another good one. Google him.
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.

I'd say someone like Dave Bullock. He pencilled and wrote the Deadman story in Wednesday Comics, and directed the film version of Darwyn's New Frontier
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DEADMAN+PINUP+2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	93099

Thanks again. :) I really like this style, it's so different from the artists that I'd been looking at...guys like Jim Lee and Brian Golland.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Another great one who draws in a slightly retro style is Bruce Timm. Check his stuff out.
    If anything, Timm is a bit more of the sunsource for the style, just because Cooke worked for him as an animator.

Although on the darker end of things, I still like to call it the David Mazzuccheli school of comic art. Maybe a little less obvious in stuff like Catwoman, but there's some decent Mazz influence in his Parker material.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Also, in general, anyone working on Daredevil since Mark Waid started writing it. So you mentioned Marcos Martin, but don't forget Paolo Rivera.

The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

-Expletive Deleted

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    If anything, Timm is a bit more of the sunsource for the style, just because Cooke worked for him as an animator.

Although on the darker end of things, I still like to call it the David Mazzuccheli school of comic art. Maybe a little less obvious in stuff like Catwoman, but there's some decent Mazz influence in his Parker material.

In the end though, they're all descendants of Alex Toth (although I would bet some were birthed (so to speak) by way of Steve Rude).

J. Bone often inks Cooke's work, but his penciling style is also similar to Darwyn's.

http://gobukan.blogspot.com/

Why not go ahead and study Jack Kirby? He inspired most of these people...
    Comics enjoyed by my Old Lady: Chew, IKG, Saga, JTHM, Ex Machina, Gil Kane's Green Lantern, Wormwood, NYX, Jurgen and JMS's Thor, along with a few others.

I'd also put forward Mike Mignola as he too definitely has that Toth/Kirby feel to his art.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    In the end though, they're all descendants of Alex Toth (although I would bet some were birthed (so to speak) by way of Steve Rude).
    Well, with Mazz, it was doing a modern riff on Kane, or whoever was ghosting for Kane that month.

But mostly I use Mazz as the modern source in comics. Basically, he did Year One, then everyone started trying to do Mazz.

Also, I know this is an Ebay link, but it's for charity, and it seemed appropriate -- Hero Initiative charity auction for a Darwyn Cooke redoing Avengers #16.

-Expletive Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rice View Post
    Why not go ahead and study Jack Kirby? He inspired most of these people...
    Kirby is excellent, but I like the way modern artists portray that kind of feel. :)

Thanks again to everyone posting suggestions. This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.
    Last edited by aliendough; 05-10-2012 at 01:34 PM.