Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    Hopefully, with Akins drawing Issue #9, it will finally be established that Lennox is not much shorter, than Wonder Woman.

I think Cliff got Lennox's height wrong in Issue #7, making him significantly shorter than Wonder Woman -like her pet monkey- and everyone else in the cast. With Issue #8, Cliff restored Lennox to being, at least, as tall as Tony Akins drew him -barely a hair shorter than Diana, who was wearing 1 1/2 or two inch heels, standing beside him in Issue #6.
    He's barely spoken two lines in as many issues and you're so enamored with this character that you care about whether he is 1 or 2 inches shorter than WW?

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    While I loved the characterization of the two gods, I cant say I saw anything funny about body parts sailing through the air.

I'm not saying that as a comment on posters. But folks are right that the driver running from the truck has a comical appearance that is completely at odds with with the brutality of the scene.

Strife to me is just...vile. While I loved Loki in Avengers and there are strong similarities between the characters I just cant like Strife. Even as a villain, which I am assuming is what folks are talking about.
    I dont see any body parts flying from the explosion. It's only pieces of the truck, the table and the cloth that was over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    He's barely spoken two lines in as many issues and you're so enamored with this character that you care about whether he is 1 or 2 inches shorter than WW?
    Well...Lennox is the closest thing we've got to a Mr. Wonder, right now. Just making sure he's given a fair chance, before the Princessionist fans drum him out of the corps.

And can a Lennox-Supergirl team-up be that far off?
    Last edited by MelDyer; 05-12-2012 at 08:55 AM.
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."
    Cassandra on Orion of the New Gods (Wonder Woman #26)

Well, it is a Wonder Woman comic. I'm not sure a Mr. Wonder is needed inside its pages. It isn't as if there aren't a plethora of male heroes with their own titles right now.

I agree that this current run actually reminds me more of Marston's run than any of the previous runs. The quirky/beautiful artwork, the submission themes, the energy and humor...pretty cool!
    Nanny: The True Phoenix Egg

While I loved the characterization of the two gods, I cant say I saw anything funny about body parts sailing through the air.

I'm not saying that as a comment on posters. But folks are right that the driver running from the truck has a comical appearance that is completely at odds with with the brutality of the scene.

Strife to me is just...vile. While I loved Loki in Avengers and there are strong similarities between the characters I just cant like Strife. Even as a villain, which I am assuming is what folks are talking about.
    I agree with the sentiment that perhaps showing real-life (similar) events is a bit disturbing if not disrespectful regarding the situation with the bombings, etc... When the first Spiderman movie came out in the early 2000's they went back and edited a scene where Spiderman sets up a web between the two New York World Trade Center towers because they were destroyed shortly before the film was released, out of respect. I think the same can be afforded here. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post
    I agree with the sentiment that perhaps showing real-life (similar) events is a bit disturbing if not disrespectful regarding the situation with the bombings, etc... When the first Spiderman movie came out in the early 2000's they went back and edited a scene where Spiderman sets up a web between the two New York World Trade Center towers because they were destroyed shortly before the film was released, out of respect. I think the same can be afforded here. Just a thought.
    Azzarello puts Ares in Darfur and shows fightings.
    "Oh god, that bigot of Azzarello should do his homeworks, right now there's no open warfare in Darfur! Instead of keep shwoing black people killing each other why doesn't he put Ares in places like Colombia or Syria where there's real trouble?"

Azzarello puts Ares in Syria and shows car-bomb.
    "Oh god, there's real people getting killed there! This stuff is really happening! Can't Azzarello be a little more respectful and remove these scenes, considering the tragedy these people are living in?"

Now, Rob, I know you weren't one of the guys "complaining" the first time, but I think we are getting silly here. Yes, there's tension and trouble in Syria, this is the kind of stuff that happens there and making a joke about it can be considered bad taste.
    But at the same time, at least once a day somebody gets murdered in New York City, should the Punisher book get cancelled for that?

Veteran Member

Just as a seperate point, I am somewhat peeved that DC releases the covers so early now - months in advance in fact. I stumbled across the art for a much later cover that gave away some quiet significant plot points over the next several issues.
    You mean the cover for #11, or has something later been released somewhere? If so, mind posting a link? I know I shouldn't look, but I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitOro View Post
    Azzarello puts Ares in Darfur and shows fightings.
    "Oh god, that bigot of Azzarello should do his homeworks, right now there's no open warfare in Darfur! Instead of keep shwoing black people killing each other why doesn't he put Ares in places like Colombia or Syria where there's real trouble?"

Azzarello puts Ares in Syria and shows car-bomb.
    "Oh god, there's real people getting killed there! This stuff is really happening! Can't Azzarello be a little more respectful and remove these scenes, considering the tragedy these people are living in?"

Now, Rob, I know you weren't one of the guys "complaining" the first time, but I think we are getting silly here. Yes, there's tension and trouble in Syria, this is the kind of stuff that happens there and making a joke about it can be considered bad taste.
    But at the same time, at least once a day somebody gets murdered in New York City, should the Punisher book get cancelled for that?

I'm not really a "complainer" much, but I thought I'd throw my 2-cents regarding this issue as it isn't the first time I've seen it referred to. I'm not really insulted by it, but I think if it can be avoided, it should. 99.9999% of us may not be directly affected by the showing of this scene, but there's always that one that might... and it would be very hurtful.

I lost someone once to an early death from a subject that I would rather not really get into here and now, but when I encountered the situations in entertainment mediums and general conversations out on the street it kind of made me feel very sad. I never complained because I realize that things do happen, but that doesn't detract from the fact that I was very hurt by it for a long time until I adjusted to what happened.

It was just a random comment, and of course, you're right... but nevertheless.. I threw it out there.

It was just a random comment, and of course, you're right... but nevertheless.. I threw it out there.
    Sure, I understand, didn't mean to accuse you of something.

Thing is, I'm kind of against these sort of reasonings, because, I understand people can get sad about stuff like this, but at the same time, removing one scene over another I find kind of pointless. People die in Syria, remove everything about it. But people die in car crashed too, so no more car crashes in movies. No volcanos, no tornados, no deadly viruses, no earthquakes, no shoot-outs, no nothing.

But it's life. It's stuff that happens. You can't just pretend using a eraser on a page or on a movie clip will make anything better.

Veteran Member

I mentioned that I think Akins has a darkly comic touch, so even though I appreciate that you're not commenting on posters, I just want to clarify that I don't find deadly bomb blasts funny.

I certainly agree that not everything he's drawing here is funny or is meant to be. The cartoonish terrorist is certainly "at odd with he brutality of the scene," but that's often how black humor works. I do find it a little unsettling, especially in a real-life setting; but, then again, I expect to be unsettled by something that is at least partly in the horror genre--so I'm of two minds about it.
    Last edited by slvn; 05-12-2012 at 10:07 AM.

I think it's good if comics show real events from time to time. The situation in Syria needs to be known. Using the comics to raise some awareness isnt so bad.

Besides a crime in a fictional country doesnt amount to anything. Using real places, actual places where these things happen makes it that much more real. I dont see how it's in bad taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    I think it's good if comics show real events from time to time. The situation in Syria needs to be known. Using the comics to raise some awareness isnt so bad.

Besides a crime in a fictional country doesnt amount to anything. Using real places, actual places where these things happen makes it that much more real. I dont see how it's in bad taste.

I dont particularly think it's in "bad taste" per se. It's just that from the preview the situation seems to be there just for an OOOHH AHHH cool visual without really pretending to educate anyone on the political aspect of whatever may be going on. If the scene was under a different context, for example, let's say they show Wonder Woman going over there as a plot to try to end a war, it would be viewed differently IMO. But here, it just feels like its a gratuitous scene with no other purpose than to do a cool splash page.

BANNED

I would point out that Atkins, Azzarello and DC have to have these issues done in a month or two before release because of the time they need to get the prints made and distributed. So the car bomb in Syria just random chance. Also I wouldn't call it bad taste as it isn't a negative portrayal favoring one side or the other in the real conflict, and in real life stuff like this does happen, as terrible as it is. Added, we cant have everything bad in comics happen in Fictonisia before we end up asking why this comic world seems so out of tune with the real one it's supposed to portray.

Also there are worse examples than this of rotten timing:
    Infamous thrash metal legends: Slayer released an album called God Hates us All on 9/11...

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I would point out that Atkins, Azzarello and DC have to have these issues done in a month or two before release because of the time they need to get the prints made and distributed. So the car bomb in Syria just random chance.
    Sure, the timing of the comic in relation to this particular incident was beyond their control, but it's not like Syria hadn't been in turmoil.

I'm not going to go so far as to call it bad taste--just unsettling. Whether "unsettling" is positive or negative in this case--well, I'm just firmly on both sides of the issue.

I dont particularly think it's in "bad taste" per se. It's just that from the preview the situation seems to be there just for an OOOHH AHHH cool visual without really pretending to educate anyone on the political aspect of whatever may be going on. If the scene was under a different context, for example, let's say they show Wonder Woman going over there as a plot to try to end a war, it would be viewed differently IMO. But here, it just feels like its a gratuitous scene with no other purpose than to do a cool splash page.
    OK, maybe. But this is Ares right? And if you want to show him igniting wars, why not show him do that in a real life nation that is in a bloody revolution at this moment?

Maybe in a future issue Ares will have started a big war in the middle east and WW will stop it. Who knows?