Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Don't know why but I laughed at wars hat flying off.
    Dc: Action Comics/Animal Man/Swamp Thing/Earth-2/Green Arrow/Batman/Threshold/Batwoman/Justice League/Green Lantern/Teen Titans/Superman/Justice League Dark/I,Vampire.

Quote Originally Posted by shingi70 View Post
    Don't know why but I laughed at wars hat flying off.
    His cup was also blow to pieces and he's left holding it's little handle. Lol, that page if funny!

BANNED

Terrible art......

I actually like the art a lot. I think it is improved from the artist's previous arc. He seems to embrace his own style more. I like!
    Nanny: The True Phoenix Egg

The timing of this preview is a pretty eerie coincidence. There was a bomb blast in Damascus today that killed 50-60 people.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

I thought Strife was Ares' daughter, but here she calls him brother. What's up with that?

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    The timing of this preview is a pretty eerie coincidence. There was a bomb blast in Damascus today that killed 50-60 people.
    And now i feel bad.
    I thought Strife was Ares' daughter, but here she calls him brother. What's up with that?
    Wikipedia says her parents are Zeus and Hera, but whatever the case in the actual myth, here she's definitely Hera's daughter (she called her daughter when we first saw Strife) and i suppose Zeus' too as she calls Diana her sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    And now i feel bad.
    Wikipedia says her parents are Zeus and Hera, but whatever the case in the actual myth, here she's definitely Hera's daughter (she called her daughter when we first saw Strife) and i suppose Zeus' too as she calls Diana her sister.
    Strife is actually Eris, goddess of discord and general disorganisation. In Greek, her name translates as (naturally) "Strife". As for her size changing and so forth, here's a little Homer (from The Iliad):

"Strife whose wrath is relentless, she is the sister and companion of murderous Ares, she who is only a little thing at the first, but thereafter grows until she strides on the earth with her head striking heaven. She then hurled down bitterness equally between both sides as she walked through the onslaught making men's pain heavier. She also has a son whom she named Strife."

(Note: the above is from Wikipedia. My copy of The Iliad (the Richard Lattimore translation) refers to Strife as "Hate", which is confusing).

Nothing like a mom naming her son after herself. Anyway, it's clear Azzarello is using Homer's version of Strife, proving once again, as with the Amazons, he's done his homework. It should be noted that Strife was responsible for The Judgement of Paris, which led directly to the Trojan War and the destruction of Troy. So she is not very nice.

Anyway, the classical touchpoints really deepen this comic and put it beyond most superhero titles.
    Last edited by cgh; 05-10-2012 at 05:10 PM.

And now i feel bad.
    Yeah, you're right. I was just thinking out loud, because in the previous run, Eris was the goddess of discord and the daughter of Ares. I didn't think there was a difference between Discord and Strife.

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Strife is actually Eris, goddess of discord and general disorganisation. In Greek, her name translates as (naturally) "Strife". As for her size changing and so forth, here's a little Homer (from The Iliad):

"Strife whose wrath is relentless, she is the sister and companion of murderous Ares, she who is only a little thing at the first, but thereafter grows until she strides on the earth with her head striking heaven. She then hurled down bitterness equally between both sides as she walked through the onslaught making men's pain heavier. She also has a son whom she named Strife."

(Note: the above is from Wikipedia. My copy of The Iliad (the Richard Lattimore translation) refers to Strife as "Hate", which is confusing).

Nothing like a mom naming her son after herself. Anyway, it's clear Azzarello is using Homer's version of Strife, proving once again, as with the Amazons, he's done his homework. It should be noted that Strife was responsible for The Judgement of Paris, which led directly to the Trojan War and the destruction of Troy. So she is not very nice.

Anyway, the classical touchpoints really deepen this comic and put it beyond most superhero titles.
    I know it's Eris, i googled for Eris and at that box on the right it says parents: Zeus and Hera, or some other diety all by herself.

Great preview, Akins art definitely looks better than his first two-parter on Wonder Woman. Love the willowy look and facial expressions he gives Strife. Can't wait to read the issue.

Yeah, you're right. I was just thinking out loud, because in the previous run, Eris was the goddess of discord and the daughter of Ares. I didn't think there was a difference between Discord and Strife.
    If i'm not mistaken Ares has two sons, Deimos and Phobos, the personifications of dread and fear that come before a big battle.

The greek word for fear is actually phobos, for discord it's eris. Hades, Ares, Hera and almost everyone else have actual names, that dont have a meaning. For example Poseidon doesnt mean sea. But i dont understand why Azz is changing their names, i guess he wants to make them living ideas as opposed to carricaturish villains.
    "This guy isnt just some douche with a trident, he is the sea itself". Like, Eris means nothing to an American but Strife is actually strife.

Does Ares' line "One wedding per customer. If the first doesn't work out..." mean Hades had another wife (Persephone, maybe)?
    Or I didn't get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Don-Jack View Post
    Does Ares' line "One wedding per customer. If the first doesn't work out..." mean Hades had another wife (Persephone, maybe)?
    Or I didn't get it?
    Yes, that's what i understood from that.

I know it's Eris, i googled for Eris and at that box on the right it says parents: Zeus and Hera, or some other diety all by herself.
    Yeah, I was sort of responding to the thread in general because it seemed there was a sense that people didn't know who she was. I was in a bit of a rush and just quoted you and got a bit carried away. Sorry if it seemed I was obnoxiously correcting you, as that wasn't my intention.